• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawyers

bordsnbikes

imported post

It's happened, out to dinner with your family, or in your home and someone breaks in, in the bank, however it went down, it's happened. If there is the slightest inkling that it may not have been self defense you will likely spend the next 24 hours in jail. Who do you call? Do you rely on the guy appointed to you, or do you know someone? Have you already paid a lawyer so he has to show up no matter what time you call him? Now is the time to think about it, not while your sitting behind bars, this goes hand in with carrying medical supplies. A lawyer is an important accessory, almost as much as your weapon and holster.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Well, in Georgia at least, Doug King is highly recommended. I don't carry his business card but his number is in my cellphone and on my emergency list on the refrigerator. He would be the first person I called for a consultation or a referral for something that wasn't his specialty.

John Hardin

imported post

There should be a sticky thread in each of the state forums with a list of recommended lawyers who specialize in (or at least are familiar with and supportive of) firearms rights and armed self defense cases. Let's all work on gathering this information!

Flyer22

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
It's happened, out to dinner with your family, or in your home and someone breaks in, in the bank, however it went down, it's happened. If there is the slightest inkling that it may not have been self defense you will likely spend the next 24 hours in jail. Who do you call? Do you rely on the guy appointed to you, or do you know someone? Have you already paid a lawyer so he has to show up no matter what time you call him? Now is the time to think about it, not while your sitting behind bars, this goes hand in with carrying medical supplies. A lawyer is an important accessory, almost as much as your weapon and holster.
It would helpful to add your state to your profile, because state laws differ so widely. For instance, in Colorado, we don't have to worry about being wrongly arrested in a case of self defense. Unless the police have pretty good evidence that a shooting was in fact not self defense, our "Make my Day" law makes it pretty much impossible to be arrested.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a very good attorney who handles my personal and corporate business, is very familiar with firearms laws and knows I carry and carries himself. We have discussed the matter of "what if" I ever had to use it in self-defense.

bordsnbikes

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have a very good attorney who handles my personal and corporate business, is very familiar with firearms laws and knows I carry and carries himself.   We have discussed the matter of "what if" I ever had to use it in self-defense.

What has he told you to do in the event you do have to defend yourself? Has he said shut up till he gets there, or tell the cops everything?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Basically to go ahead and give a preliminary statement only as to the basic facts of what happened if I am comfortable doing so. If I do not feel comfortable, reach a point I am not comfortable or LE starts pushing for answers or becoming aggressive with questions to invoke my right to counsel. That is assuming that I believe I am completely righteous in my actions such as an unprovoked attack by a BG.

If I was involved in any issue, say a verbal altercation, with the BG before I used my firearm, or have any doubt that my actions or carry were completely righteous, I am to shut up and invoke counsel from the start. If I have any doubt as to which type of situation it is I am to invoke counsel from the start.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Basically to go ahead and give a preliminary statement only as to the basic facts of what happened if I am comfortable doing so. If I do not feel comfortable, reach a point I am not comfortable or LE starts pushing for answers or becoming aggressive with questions to invoke my right to counsel. That is assuming that I believe I am completely righteous in my actions such as an unprovoked attack by a BG.

If I was involved in any issue, say a verbal altercation, with the BG before I used my firearm, or have any doubt that my actions or carry were completely righteous, I am to shut up and invoke counsel from the start. If I have any doubt as to which type of situation it is I am to invoke counsel from the start.
Excellent advice

FightingGlock19

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Excellent advice
Even better adivce would be to lawyer up from the start.