Thread: Can I shoot my Glock in PW County?

Post imported post

I'm going hunting tomorrow morning on a friend's property in Prince William county. I wouldn't mind bringing my Glock and some targets to shoot at after we finish hunting. I know that you can't shoot rifles in Prince William, so I was wondering, am I even allowed to shoot a handgun? My Uncle, who I'm going hunting with tomorrow, said that he thinks only the people that live on the property can legally shoot a handgun there. So I was hoping that someone on here could provide me with an answer. Thanks.

Post imported post

Is the property inside town limits? That might also be a factor...

Post imported post

The property is in Gainsville, not inside town limits.

Post imported post

I know that you can't shoot rifles in Prince William
    Huh?

Post imported post

You can't hunt with rifles larger than .22 caliber in PWC:

http://www.pwcgov.com/default.aspx?t...11001170000710

It is unlawful to hunt with any rifle larger than .22 caliber. However, hunting with a muzzle loader is permissible during the prescribed open seasons, but a separate muzzle-loading license is required. (County Code section 31-22).

This is fairly common, especially in the flatter lands on the eastern side of the state.

Check out the 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping Regulations, (scroll down to pages 16-17) for a list of counties that have various regulations.

TFred

ETA: Link to regs

Post imported post

Can't hunt with, and can't shoot are two different things. I can't hunt with my rifle at home (Suffolk). I shoot my rifle plenty in Suffolk.

I know that doesn't help you in PW County, but I just wanted to point out that you may very well be able to shoot handguns and rifles, given you have the space to do it safely.

Post imported post

Take a look here:

http://www.pwcgov.com/print.aspx?top...74000300000710

Hunting or shooting firearms on or within one hundred (100) yards of a public right-of-way, street, or highway is prohibited (County Code section 31-24).

Hunting or shooting within one hundred (100) yards of a regularly occupied dwelling without the advance permission of the owner/occupant is prohibited (County Code section 31-23).

There are also restricted areas in Gainsville:

http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...114&sid=46

(Gainesville area) Beginning at the intersection of Rt. 619 (Linton Hall Rd.) and Rt. 675 (Glenkirk Rd.); thence northeasterly along North Fork of Rocky Branch as it meanders to the junction of U. S. Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy.) and Interstate 66; thence westerly along an imaginary line to the intersection of Va. Rt. 55 (John Marshall Hwy.) and Rt. 676 (Catharpin Rd.); thence along Rt. 55 to the intersection with U. S. Rt. 29; thence southerly along U. S. Rt. 29 to the Norfolk-Southern Railroad right-of-way; thence westerly along the Norfolk-Southern Railroad right-of-way 18,401+/- feet to the point the railroad right-of-way crosses North Fork; thence south along North Fork as it meanders to the shoreline of Lake Manassas; thence easterly along an imaginary line to the place of beginning.

USAF Retired
    Certified Glock Armorer
    -------------
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. --- Thomas Jefferson