• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I shoot my Glock in PW County?

hunter45

imported post

I'm going hunting tomorrow morning on a friend's property in Prince William county. I wouldn't mind bringing my Glock and some targets to shoot at after we finish hunting. I know that you can't shoot rifles in Prince William, so I was wondering, am I even allowed to shoot a handgun? My Uncle, who I'm going hunting with tomorrow, said that he thinks only the people that live on the property can legally shoot a handgun there. So I was hoping that someone on here could provide me with an answer. Thanks.

TFred

imported post

You can't hunt with rifles larger than .22 caliber in PWC:

http://www.pwcgov.com/default.aspx?topic=010011001170000710

It is unlawful to hunt with any rifle larger than .22 caliber. However, hunting with a muzzle loader is permissible during the prescribed open seasons, but a separate muzzle-loading license is required. (County Code section 31-22).

This is fairly common, especially in the flatter lands on the eastern side of the state.

Check out the 2008-2009 Hunting and Trapping Regulations, (scroll down to pages 16-17) for a list of counties that have various regulations.

TFred

ETA: Link to regs

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Can't hunt with, and can't shoot are two different things. I can't hunt with my rifle at home (Suffolk). I shoot my rifle plenty in Suffolk.

I know that doesn't help you in PW County, but I just wanted to point out that you may very well be able to shoot handguns and rifles, given you have the space to do it safely.

coondog22554

imported post

Take a look here:

http://www.pwcgov.com/print.aspx?topic=040074000300000710

Hunting or shooting firearms on or within one hundred (100) yards of a public right-of-way, street, or highway is prohibited (County Code section 31-24).

Hunting or shooting within one hundred (100) yards of a regularly occupied dwelling without the advance permission of the owner/occupant is prohibited (County Code section 31-23).

There are also restricted areas in Gainsville:

http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=14114&sid=46

(Gainesville area) Beginning at the intersection of Rt. 619 (Linton Hall Rd.) and Rt. 675 (Glenkirk Rd.); thence northeasterly along North Fork of Rocky Branch as it meanders to the junction of U. S. Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy.) and Interstate 66; thence westerly along an imaginary line to the intersection of Va. Rt. 55 (John Marshall Hwy.) and Rt. 676 (Catharpin Rd.); thence along Rt. 55 to the intersection with U. S. Rt. 29; thence southerly along U. S. Rt. 29 to the Norfolk-Southern Railroad right-of-way; thence westerly along the Norfolk-Southern Railroad right-of-way 18,401+/- feet to the point the railroad right-of-way crosses North Fork; thence south along North Fork as it meanders to the shoreline of Lake Manassas; thence easterly along an imaginary line to the place of beginning.