Thread: Hanover CC Clerks Office asking for SASE for CHP as a courtesy

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Got a call from a former student today. He said that Hanover was asking for a SASE to mail permits back....

I called the Clerks Office and spoke with a verypolite lady. She said that they ask for a SASE as a courtesy to the applicant so that the permit can be mailed back quickly. Its not a requirement.She also said that if the applicant didnt provide one, they'd mail the permit on their dime regardless. She said that they really try to work with the public on the CHP permits.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Wow, they actually MAIL it to you? Lucky!

Post imported post

PWC mailed me mine and I didn't provide a SASE either.

Post imported post

FYI...they do this in Alexandria too. Some people make a big sting over it. Personally I liked not having to take a day to go down to the courthouse to pick it up

Post imported post

Yeah, I would have welcomed an "extra" requirement of providing a $.42 stamp and envelope to save me from having to drive home from Blacksburg to do nothing more than pick up a piece of paper, that wasn't even laminated, and then drive back to Blacksburg. You have to be there, in person, you must be the person listed on the CHP and you have to be there during court hours.

10 hours of driving and a missed class in the name of getting an easily mailed piece of paper. I'm glad we campaign against these 'extra' requirements. (<---sarcasm...in case it didn't convey.)

Of course, if someone can show me how that is a bad thing, I'll gladly retract and reevaluate my position (<---not sarcasm)

Post imported post

Well, the argument against the requirement is that it is illegal for them to insist on a SASE. I don't think anybody (here, anyway) argues that it shouldn't be an option to provide an envelope for the permit to be mailed, just that it can't be an officially required part of the process by law.

Roanoke county provided an envelope and stamp--they had me address it while they were filing the rest of my paperwork. I was indeed glad that I wouldn't have to negotiate my way back to pick up my permit.

Also, hello from Blacksburg!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    SNIP Of course, if someone can show me how that is a bad thing, I'll gladly retract and reevaluate my position (<---not sarcasm)
    The distinction is whether it is a requirement.

The request in the OP is one thing. Great, actually.

My recall is that some counties have put itout as a requirement. No "request" aspect to it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

It was an option in PWC when I applied for my CHP.

I provided one to keep me from having to drive across the county.

Recently, I have heard, even in this thread, that they will mail it to you without the SASE.

I really have no problem with it.

Post imported post

It was a "requirement" when I applied in Fairfax. I have read all of the threads on this before but was really not that concerned about providing it for them. I had already spent nearly $100 on the safety class and $50 for the permit....not to mention all of the time filling out the application and typing up a residence history.

The lady at the counter was nice. I'm sure had I questioned her she might have realized that it was not a requirement and accepted my application without it.

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    It was a "requirement" when I applied in Fairfax. I have read all of the threads on this before but was really not that concerned about providing it for them. I had already spent nearly $100 on the safety class and $50 for the permit....not to mention all of the time filling out the application and typing up a residence history.

The lady at the counter was nice. I'm sure had I questioned her she might have realized that it was not a requirement and accepted my application without it.
    yep, i supplied them with a SASE per instructions on the VA State Police Website

edit: i think it might have been the fairfax court website that i saw that requirement

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

When I renewed a few years back in Prince William the clerk insisted on a SASE. I based on what I see here I assume that is no longer required. It is a lot more convenient than going to the courthouse to pick it up. I had to do that the time before last.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I reckon I see the "requirement" vs "courtesy" argument, but I still feel like choose your battles is an appropriate sentiment when deciding whether or not to dedicate time and effort to overturning such a convenient extra requirement.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Courtesy or shifting the financial burden? An expense is a fee is a tax is not a courtesy.

Post imported post

I wouldn't have minded the option of giving a SASE to get my permit. Unfortunately, I was required to go to the Clerk's officeto pick up my permit. Thankfully, I was able to go after work and they were open.

Perhaps if it's displayed as so:

=====

No SASE = Pick up in person

Provide SASE = We mail it to you

Please take your pick.

=====

Now if a locality wants to take it upon themselves to mail to the applicant on their own dime, who am I to say how they spend the fee from the applicant.

I well and truly see the optional SASE as being like a shipping fee for anything you order that gets delivered to your house. That's not a big deal. Sometimes you get free shipping, sometimes not, and sometimes you have to pick it up in person at the 'store'.

Post imported post

In Chesterfield, I was handed an envelope and asked to put my address on it. They put the stamp on it. There didn't seem to be an option to pick up in person. I had no problem with this approach.

Post imported post

I think they do it that way because it is less expensive to pay 42 cents to mail it to you than pay $15 or more an hour for someone to hand it to you. I didn't have a problem with them mailing mine either

Post imported post

When I got my CHP in Fairfax County a while ago, they used my SASE to send me a letter telling me I had to come in person to pick up my permit.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
    When I got my CHP in Fairfax County a while ago, they used my SASE to send me a letter telling me I had to come in person to pick up my permit.

now thats funny!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

fairfax1 wrote:

That is funny since it happend to you.

If it had happend to me I would have been pissed!!

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"