• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"OC reduces situational awareness"

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

"OC reduces situational awareness because the person thinks having a gun strapped to their hip will automatically deter the BGs. Thus they don't have to pay attention"

I've had that argument thrown my way in other forums. My answer is, I don't agree. One still must be vigilant in the places they go, when they go (after dark, daylight), who is around and so forth regardless of what is or isn't in your possession.

I guess by the same (flawed) token you can say that CCers are relaxed in their situational awareness because they perceive no attention based on the visibility, or lack there of, of their firearm.

Now, I don't believe that one bit. Up to this point I've only carried CC. After the initial nervousness of carrying, my level of awareness has not dropped. It actually increased. The act of carrying brought responsibilities that I expect myself and am expected to uphold, personally and lawfully.

Now going the other way, its been my experience that I'm even more aware of my surroundings when I am 'naked' and not carrying any means of protection because I am more vulnerable and know it :uhoh: I've never felt relaxed when I'm not carrying and the awareness meter is pegging red.

I'm just one person, and those were my experiences. But I do not believe that carrying OC makes a person relax to their surroundings. If carrying OC is like carrying CC for the first time, then it certainly is not relaxing!

Relaxing is laying in the shade on a beach, getting a massage from a good lookin' therapist :p

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm surprised someone hasn't blamed OC on Global Warming.

Oh! That's right, It's been cooling for the last decade.

Ok, maybe they claim that OC causes the spread of VD. :banghead:

Seriously though. It seems like some CCer's think that handguns OC'd standout like neon signs. They don't. BG's don't have X-ray vision that enables them to stand on a persons weak side and see their holstered firearm on the strongside hip. Nor can they see through another person that may be standing between you and them. Not all BG's thoroughly scope a place out before they carry out a crime. A holstered gun that has a slim profile isn't that easy to spot right away. (Look at Lori's picture at the top of this page. If her shirt were black, one might mistake her holstered gun and mag pouchfor an Ipod or cellphone.)

FogRider

imported post

Well, that's a unique twist, and one hard to actually prove/disprove. I can tell you my SA goes way up when I OC. I'm not counting on the deterrent effect, I am looking out for the mythical gun grab. Granted, it's never happened, but it's the more dangerous of the two possible outcomes. I'm also (and this is not a good thing, but I tend to do it anyway), looking out for police. Aurora PD is not exactly OC friendly, and in the interest of keeping my day rolling along smoothly I tend to avoid them if possible. Again, perhaps not the best additude to have, but it's what comes from my extremely non-confrontational personality.

JBURGII

imported post

My SA skyrockets when I holster OC.. just because I have an ins ID card in my truck don't mean I quit looking out for other drivers..

J

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Well, that's a unique twist, and one hard to actually prove/disprove. I can tell you my SA goes way up when I OC. I'm not counting on the deterrent effect, I am looking out for the mythical gun grab. Granted, it's never happened, but it's the more dangerous of the two possible outcomes. I'm also (and this is not a good thing, but I tend to do it anyway), looking out for police. Aurora PD is not exactly OC friendly, and in the interest of keeping my day rolling along smoothly I tend to avoid them if possible. Again, perhaps not the best additude to have, but it's what comes from my extremely non-confrontational personality.
Same here.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Another +1

I am looking out for signs that I might need to fight or flight. . . that is intent of criminals for a fight, or intent of people or LE for flight.

I am FAR more aware when OC. . . but as stated before because I fear the cops more than I do the criminals.

squisher

imported post

I have been working on my SA level when not carrying, but I'm certainly not perfect. While carrying it stays better, and I find myself consciously making certain that my strong side hand is not encumbered (when possible).

The mechanism of stainless and springs on my hip serves as a strong reminder to remain aware.

FogRider

imported post

squisher wrote:
The mechanism of stainless and springs on my hip serves as a strong reminder to remain aware.
I have noticed that when I conceal I will when sufficiently distracted forget I even have a gun on me. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak. With OC, I am constantly aware of it. Not exactly constantly thinking about it, it's more like the feeling of a new pair of boot that don't fit well yet. Always there in the back of my mind. That in turn keeps me constantly aware of my surroundings.

r6-rider

imported post

Shorts wrote:
"OC reduces situational awareness because the person thinks having a gun strapped to their hip will automatically deter the BGs."
oh oh i love this game. ok heres the rules, you tell me what am i thinking, then i will exploit your ignorance and win:lol:

marine77

imported post

I know my sensed will be heightened when i can carry. I've even been racking my brain trying to think of the places that i go to where it will be against the law to carry one.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

squisher wrote:
... and I find myself consciously making certain that my strong side hand is not encumbered (when possible).
I find myself doing the same thing. I rarely carry anything in that hand while OCing. Perhaps a level II or III holster would change that. My SA is much higher during OC. Probably 50% due to concern about a negative encounter (LEO or otherwise) and the other 50% on securing my weapon.

Orygunner

imported post

Honestly, my SA sucks. Raised as a sheep, trying very hard to overcome a lifetime of complacency habits.

I know my SA has gotten better, but I still find myself lapsing into condition White. When I OC, I find myself more aware of my surroundings than usual, but still working on it.

...Orygunner...

cynicist

imported post

I would say the opposite is true. Knowing that other people know I got a gun means that I'm going to non-chalantly being watching everything all the more closely.

For some reason, when I CC, which I normally do for my own reasons, I have much higher state of awareness too. I haven't been able to pinpoint the reason yet. Perhaps it's because guns are still new to me.

xd9sc

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I would say the opposite is true. Knowing that other people know I got a gun means that I'm going to non-chalantly being watching everything all the more closely.

For some reason, when I CC, which I normally do for my own reasons, I have much higher state of awareness too. I haven't been able to pinpoint the reason yet. Perhaps it's because guns are still new to me.
I totally agree with cynicist. If i was open carrying,my situational awareness would be raised. Knowing the same thing that law enforcement is taught. "everyone that you come in contact with has a gun in there reach, YOURS". I would pay alot more attention to my surroundings in this situation. Also, Would be using a retention holster to help keep my gun in my possession.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"OC reduces situational awareness" - the words of a person who has never OCed.

Which, of course, just goes to show that people shouldn't speak while they remain ignorant.

Michigander

imported post

My situational awareness always goes way up when I OC. I always want to know who is within close proximity of me, and I am very aware of the stares I am getting. I am especially aware in Michigan, since there are a lot of cops who STILL aren't familiar with the right to OC.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

centsi wrote:
squisher wrote:
... and I find myself consciously making certain that my strong side hand is not encumbered (when possible).
I find myself doing the same thing. I rarely carry anything in that hand while OCing. Perhaps a level II or III holster would change that. My SA is much higher during OC. Probably 50% due to concern about a negative encounter (LEO or otherwise) and the other 50% on securing my weapon.

I make a conscious decision to place NOTHING that I don't want to drop, damage, abandon on my strong side and that is WITH a Serpa Blackhawk Retention holster when OC'ing or CC'ing.

JoeSparky

richarcm

imported post

Situational awareness has more to do with your personality than with how your gun is situated on you. However I promise any CCer that when I'm OCing I am FAR more self conscious of myself and therefor aware of how people around me are perceiving me. That is part of the effect of OCing and most people will pay attention to it when entering or exiting a popluated area. When I CC I get a bit too comfortable with myself and my surroundings and sometimes find that my attention is easier distributed to other things than the people around me.