• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slain Student called 911 but no one came in time

KansasMustang

imported post

A terrible thing for that to happen. A young woman with her whole life ahead of her. I have two daughters both grown, who at a very early age I taught gun safety and then trained them to shoot. My youngest lives here in town not 5 minutes from me. My Eldest is in AZ. I've had bad dreams about this type scenario, not so much about the youngest, but the eldest as she's not far from Phoenix, and does not possess a firearm no matter how much I've pleaded with her to get one.
I'd call 911 only after the fact to report "I've had shots fired and have a wounded person in my house, better send an ambulance"

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have chosen to live in smaller cities for most of my life where LE is pretty quick to respond. Most of the places I have lived, typical emergency call response time has been about 2 minutes. Too long if you are being stabbed to death, but pretty darn good as a practical matter unless one wants to live in a police state with LE on every street corner (and who wants to pay for that). Most of the places I have lived (excepting Chicago) the vast majority of LEOs seem to really care about the community and their fellow citizens.

But even in those communities, given that 2 minutes is plenty of time to kill multiple people, for any LE affiliated individual to suggest, support, sponsor or push for the disarming of the people is criminal, so to speak. For the LE professional leadership and union leadership they are in an ironic situation. Their business is in essence to take bad people off the street. The more laws and the more bad people and the less able the population to legally defend themselves and their possessions from bad people, the more job security for their "constituents", the bigger their budgets and salaries. It is the inmates running the asylum to some extent. I doubt that most LEOs on the street, who mostly support and defend our rights to be armed and defend ourselves, typically think about their leadership in these terms, just as most Americans don't think of their government in critical thinking terms.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

I don't know why this is such a shock! The courts have already said it is not the PD's job to protect the individual, but only to protect the citizens as a whole!

It was decided over a girl that was raped and beaten and the other 2 girl next door called 911 with no response. So they tried to help and got raped and beaten also. Court through out the case.

You protection is ultimately our responsibility.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gun-grabbers will fail to see that a gun ban couldn't have stopped this stabbing, and furthermore the only way to prevent would have been to arm the victim.

Blkwdw86

imported post

As useless as it is, you still need to call 911. It won't get you any help, but it makes for a wonderful CYA measure for YOUR defense attorney.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

This is horible, but should be posted in tandum with the texas call when the niegbors
house was being robbed.
No gun v Gun. Bad ending v Good ending.

The last time I ever caled the police, I called local number not 911.
I told them what was going on, and the first question asked of me
was if it was an emergency. I answed "not if you don't want to catch them"
as it was obviously a juvy property crime I didn't feel the need to use 911
system, but that question took me by complete surprise.
Over the summer these crimes got more frequent with more damages.
They could have been stopped with action insted of beurocrats.

How is it the phone company has no trouble tracking pranksters,
if the system is being abused, then prosecute the abusers, insted of shrugging
there shoulders, and letting inocent people die.
If you make a prank call that pulls cops off of a real crime, then charge them as an
accomplice to the crime.

nitrovic

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
This is horible, but should be posted in tandum with the texas call when the niegbors
house was being robbed.
No gun v Gun.  Bad ending v Good ending.

was if it was an emergency.  I answed "not if you don't want to catch them"

If you make a prank call that pulls cops off of a real crime, then charge them as an
accomplice to the crime.

That last part is actually brilliant. I never thought of it that way. Most "abuse of 911 system" charges are pretty weak (in many jurisdictions they are known as "falsely summoning the police".

Deanimator

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
house was being robbed.
No gun v Gun. Bad ending v Good ending.

was if it was an emergency. I answed "not if you don't want to catch them"

accomplice to the crime.

That last part is actually brilliant. I never thought of it that way. Most "abuse of 911 system" charges are pretty weak (in many jurisdictions they are known as "falsely summoning the police".

I'm a big advocate of suing the police when they misbehave. I think it would be unfair for me to not advocate suing somebody when you suffer injury because their actions make it difficult or impossible for the police to perform their duties in a timely and effective fashion. If your prank call to 911 causes the police to have to choose between playing games with you and responding to a real emergency, you should have the opportunity to fully understand the plight of the homeless.

I wouldn't have any problem with seeing somebody who getsa personkilled because they screwed with 911 completely cleaned out. Of course I think that they should also be charged with something on the order of "depraved indifference" homicide.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

If I was a reporter, every time I had a story like this I'd get a comment from the NRA, the GOA, and the sheriff to the effect that if the victim had been armed, it might have saved her life. Then I'd segue into related accounts of armed citizens stopping a crime.

But I'd only write one such story, and then I'd get fired.

nitrovic

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
If I was a reporter, every time I had a story like this I'd get a comment from the NRA, the GOA, and the sheriff to the effect that if the victim had been armed, it might have saved her life. Then I'd segue into related accounts of armed citizens stopping a crime.

But I'd only write one such story, and then I'd get fired.

If you worked for the Boston Globe, Washington Post, NY Times, or LA Times you wouldn't even get it past the editor. You would be fired when you hit "send" on the story.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

League, don't worry about editors.

'Editors' set editorial policy but do not universally read reporters stories and certainly do not use a blue pencil. If they do read BS uncritically then they're not editors - how else do you imagine such crAP gets published and Prizes?

The last real Editor, James J. Kilpatrick retired to Charleston, SC and the Posted & Currying newsrag there ignores his presence and prints the lowest drivel imaginable.

You would be fired for violating editorial policy but by the publisher and only maybe would he use an editor as his mouthpiece.

One of my greatest personal successes is having the Charleston, SC Post & Courier Letters Editor/Public Editor and 'Omsbudman' Barbara Williams (now retired) write that she finds me "personally offensive". High praise from the enemy!

opusd2

imported post

Currently in the Zimmerman case the operator who took the call is being investigated because she "allegedly" didn't hear the screams or tussle in the background on the call. Yet even as the investigation goes forward, this person answering for 911 in the interviews I have heard, hasn't expressed one IOTA of guilt or sadness.

And yes, not too far from the area another 911 call was ignored and someone else was killed. Madison is getting quite a reputation for being a den of sin and ineptitude. If it weren't for the VERY friendly female college students... you get the picture.

The Zimmerman case is ongoing, yet. But I think we can call it unsolved if the police are as inept as the other government agencies. I'm just suprised that Tammy Baldwin isn't all up in arms over this travesty towards a woman!