• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly question? Non-Resident OC in VA?

derrickonline

imported post

Hey guys, newb here been reading a lot more on the OC scene. Unfortunately I live in MD. I know our laws suck yada yada yada.

I have a Florida CCW presently, but I was curious about the VA OC law. I assume it applies to anyone, not just VA residents?

Does having my CCW allows me to choose whether I decide to OC or CC in VA (obviously depending on the area).

In other words if I'm at a mall and they have a sign that says no OC I should be able to conceal it and keep it moving right? I guess if it says NO WEAPONS period that's a different story?

If you're in the process of OC and a store manager says you can't. Can you then conceal it or if he says leave you must leave (even after offering to conceal it with your permit)?

Just curious any input is greatly appreciated. PS: I guess this was like 10 silly questions in 1?

And when is the next dinner? I'll be there.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

derrickonline wrote:
Hey guys, newb here been reading a lot more on the OC scene. Unfortunately I live in MD. I know our laws suck yada yada yada.

I have a Florida CCW presently, but I was curious about the VA OC law. I assume it applies to anyone not just VA residents?

Does having my CCW allows me to chose whether I decide to OC or CC in VA(obviously depending on the area).

In other words if I'm at a mall and they sign says no OC I should be able to conceal it and keep it moving right? I guess if it says NO WEAPONS period that's a different story?

If you're in the process of OC and a store manager says you can't. Can you then conceal it or if he says leave you must leave (even after offering to conceal it with your permit)?

Just curious any input is greatly appreciated. PS: I guess this was like 10 silly questions in 1?

And when is the next dinner? I'll be there.
You can OC in VA as long as you follow VA laws.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not a silly question. Or even a bunch of silly questions. As Ed said, you can OC as long as you comply with Virginia's firearms laws. Given that you have a FLA permit, you can also CC as long as you comply with Virginia's laws.

Although trespass is "only" a misdemeanor, you really do not want to go there. My personal advice is that if you are asked to leave (which includes being told that your handgun, mode of dress, presence of tattoos or other factors not enumerated in the Constitution are not welcome) you take the most direct approach to the nearest exit and leave the premises without further discussion. You may choose another approach, such as asking if changing from OC to CC will satisfy the person asking you to leave - presuming that CC is not otherwise prohibited.

Enjoy yourself while visiting the Old Dominion. Enjoy the freedoms and privileges we have won and continue to fight for. Do not get discouraged and give up the fight at home. If you are not a member of Cease Fire Maryland (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7999&forum_id=28&jump_to=129368 ), become one.

Oh, yeah! Welcome to OCDO, too.

stay safe.

skidmark

TFred

imported post

If you are in a store when this happens, don't forget to hand any unbought merchandise to the store manager and say "good luck with this recession thing"...

:) Just kidding (about the smart remark)... handing him the stuff you would have bought needs no further explanation.

BTW, I've never heard of a "No Open Carry" sign, IMHO, the vast majority of persons who would be making such a policy have no clue that there are two different kinds of carry.

TFred

derrickonline

imported post

Thanks guys....I frequent NOVA as I have family in Springfield but usually don't even bother carrying there. Just recently started paying attention to OC and CC in VA and thought about it. Wanted to get some clarification.

PS: I like the "good luck with this recession thing". lol.

derrickonline

imported post

Don't I know it. It's so ridiculous. I used to be anti gun before I got pulled to the "dark side". It totally made sense that these laws weren't stopping criminals who illegally obtain guns, it only hurts those of us who wish to defend ourselves and our family.

I feel better knowing my house has cameras, alarm, and me and my 9mm but it would be nice to know I'm protected in my car or in the streets, especially given the economy and downright senseless violence.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

derrickonline wrote:
Don't I know it. It's so ridiculous. I used to be anti gun before I got pulled to the "dark side". It totally made sense that these laws weren't stopping criminals who illegally obtain guns, it only hurts those of us who wish to defend ourselves and our family.

I feel better knowing my house has cameras, alarm, and me and my 9mm but it would be nice to know I'm protected in my car or in the streets, especially given the economy and downright senseless violence.
The dark side? I believe you have been pulled into the Light. The light of Liberty! :cool:

TFred

imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
derrickonline wrote:

The dark side? I believe you have been pulled into the Light. The light of Liberty! :cool:
Hee hee, I just assumed he meant "the dark side" was when he had to move to Maryland for some reason... and felt first hand the cold oppression of the Gun Control State of Mind... Maybe he will elaborate. :)

TFred