Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fullsize 1911 Holster Question

Post imported post

I just bought myself a nice shiny new "loaded" Springfield 1911 fullsize. I need a nice holster for it but I want to get some opinions from you guys. Links and picture are very welcome. Thanks

Post imported post

I currently use the Serpa CQC on a beltloop and I LOVE it. Great retention, easy draw, and adjustable angles.

I also have an Uncle Mikes Kydex that has almost no retention in the holster or on the paddle. I'm thinkin of bolting this holster to the bed or nighttable.

Hopefully I'll get some nice tooled leather to try out this spring.

Post imported post

I would recommend you also check out the websites of our 2 new forum sponsors who make high quality holsters with several choices for 1911s:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

http://www.tuckergunleather.com

See also this thread for a review by Whiterabbit22 of a Tucker holster for a 1911:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/10488.html

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Figure out what features you want then look at your options for different holsters. I settled on a El Paso Saddlery holster for my 1911called their Dual Duty. I love it and would recommend El Paso for any type of gun leather.

I also recommend that if this is your first pistol and holster, go ahead and order a good belt intended for gun use. I ended upfinding something acceptable from a local shop because I didnt order one with the holster and would have had to wait again from El Paso.

Post imported post

IWB or OWB?

Post imported post

OWB for sure... i hate IWB holster, especially for a firearm that large

Post imported post

Look at Don Hume holsters also. Better quality than Galco for the same price. I have the Agent 711 for both my Officer's and my Commander 1911s.

Charles

Post imported post

dupree187 wrote:
    OWB for sure... i hate IWB holster, especially for a firearm that large
    OWB holsters are way better, but a 1911 is very easy to comfortably carry IWB. It's not "large", in fact it's quite thin, which is the operative dimension in this case.

Post imported post

The 1911 is more long than large and the length is in the slide. The slide is the easier part to conceal since it goes down your leg and seat area. The grip is the part that is harder to conceal and honestly it's a pretty thing grip, especially if you use grips panels that are thinner than stock.

Did you want retention? If so, bianchi has a carrylok/paddlelok/snaplok holster that has a little lever that you hit to release it from the holster during the draw: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...?TxtModelID=83

Post imported post

Simplyrugged.com has a holster called the CID (Criminal Investigative Division) that is a great holster for a 1911. There's a link from the store area to an article about a guy that tested the holster with a 1911 and there are pictures included. I've used holsters from simply rugged for my revolvers and they are very well made and very comfortable holsters.

Post imported post

Bianchi Paddle-Lok

Galco Combat Master

Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB

I've gone through several holsters for my 1911, and these are the three I've stuck with....

Good luck on the search.....

Walker

Post imported post

I have a Galco holster (can't remember the model at the moment) with a retention strap and an open bottom. I believe it was designed to hold several sizes. I have a full size 1911, and you can see just a little bit of the muzzle. I know some people don't like that, but I don't mind. I don't use that holster when I'm out crawling around in the boonies, so I'm not worried about protection for that last ~3/8".

Post imported post

Post imported post

Thanks so much for all your guys input. I got a nice Galco Combat holster in black on the way as we speak. I will be sure to get some pics up when it get here

Banned

Post imported post

i use a fobus holster for oc. and my pocket for cc

Post imported post

Bianchi Carrylok

Comfortable all day long.
    I have one for the full size and for the 1911 compact.

Jim

Post imported post

Walker wrote:
    Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB

2 questions...

1) Do you require a little extra "girth" in your pant size to carry IWB with that rig?

2) What are those wear marks on your belt from? Is that from other guns / holsters?

Post imported post

Armed wrote
    2 questions...

1) Do you require a little extra "girth" in your pant size to carry IWB with that rig?

2) What are those wear marks on your belt from? Is that from other guns / holsters?
    1. I have at least an inch of slack when wearing an IWB holster for my Kahr or 1911, and let my belt out one notch.

2. That is a very soft belt, and the marks are from the metal clips on the Supertuck. I don't have the same problem with my stiffer belts. They don't show any marks at all.

Walker

Post imported post

I have a Galco combat master for my full sized 1911 and its a good OC holster but lacks for concealed carry. One of its Major drawbacks is a lack of reinforcement for the mouth of the holster. I sometimes collapses or folds in and makes onehanded reholstering difficult.

I to am looking at a concealed holster for mine. Im probably gonna go with a super tuck because you can tuck a shirt over it. I just need to find a good owb holster now. I wonder about the galco fletch highrise .

Post imported post

I have a Galco combat master for my full sized 1911. I've found as I've been able to wear it while driving (6 hr drives) and really forget that I have it on. It is my primary OC & CC rig. When camping or hiking I use a Blackhawk Serpa.

Post imported post

I carry my full size 1911's in a Milt Sparks VM II and oftenforgetthat it is not a part of me. It is the most comfortable holster in production, but it is a little pricey. http://www.miltsparks.com/

Post imported post

+ 1 on the Sparks VM II. Worth the 6 month wait and $100 pricetag for me. I'm a certified fat guy and it is very very comfortable. I sit at a desk most of the day and drive quite a bit too.

Post imported post

I generally carry my fullsize 1911 in a Blackhawk serpa CQC. Its pretty much become my staple holster and I currently own one for all the guns I carry with any kind of regularity.

Post imported post

I have a great Galco IWB it is called the summer comfort. it does have reinforcement at the mouth for easy reholstering.

I prefer my Croosbreed supertuck though as it seems to allow more circulation around the gun and prevents some of the moisture buildup from being against my body.

YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast