• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fullsize 1911 Holster Question

dupree187

imported post

I just bought myself a nice shiny new "loaded" Springfield 1911 fullsize. I need a nice holster for it but I want to get some opinions from you guys. Links and picture are very welcome. Thanks

Evil Ernie

imported post

I currently use the Serpa CQC on a beltloop and I LOVE it. Great retention, easy draw, and adjustable angles.

I also have an Uncle Mikes Kydex that has almost no retention in the holster or on the paddle. I'm thinkin of bolting this holster to the bed or nighttable.

Hopefully I'll get some nice tooled leather to try out this spring.

StateIH

imported post

Figure out what features you want then look at your options for different holsters. I settled on a El Paso Saddlery holster for my 1911called their Dual Duty. I love it and would recommend El Paso for any type of gun leather.

I also recommend that if this is your first pistol and holster, go ahead and order a good belt intended for gun use. I ended upfinding something acceptable from a local shop because I didnt order one with the holster and would have had to wait again from El Paso.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dupree187 wrote:
OWB for sure... i hate IWB holster, especially for a firearm that large
OWB holsters are way better, but a 1911 is very easy to comfortably carry IWB. It's not "large", in fact it's quite thin, which is the operative dimension in this case. ;)

eyesopened

imported post

The 1911 is more long than large and the length is in the slide. The slide is the easier part to conceal since it goes down your leg and seat area. The grip is the part that is harder to conceal and honestly it's a pretty thing grip, especially if you use grips panels that are thinner than stock.

Did you want retention? If so, bianchi has a carrylok/paddlelok/snaplok holster that has a little lever that you hit to release it from the holster during the draw: http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=83

Loneviking

imported post

Simplyrugged.com has a holster called the CID (Criminal Investigative Division) that is a great holster for a 1911. There's a link from the store area to an article about a guy that tested the holster with a 1911 and there are pictures included. I've used holsters from simply rugged for my revolvers and they are very well made and very comfortable holsters.

Walker

imported post

Bianchi Paddle-Lok
bianchipdl.jpg

Galco Combat Master
galcocm.jpg

Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB
1911cb.jpg

I've gone through several holsters for my 1911, and these are the three I've stuck with....

Good luck on the search.....

Walker

FogRider

imported post

I have a Galco holster (can't remember the model at the moment) with a retention strap and an open bottom. I believe it was designed to hold several sizes. I have a full size 1911, and you can see just a little bit of the muzzle. I know some people don't like that, but I don't mind. I don't use that holster when I'm out crawling around in the boonies, so I'm not worried about protection for that last ~3/8".

dupree187

imported post

Thanks so much for all your guys input. I got a nice Galco Combat holster in black on the way as we speak. I will be sure to get some pics up when it get here

FoMoGo

imported post

Bianchi Carrylok
matchholstered.jpg

Comfortable all day long.
I have one for the full size and for the 1911 compact.

Jim

Armed

imported post

Walker wrote:
Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB
1911cb.jpg

2 questions...

1) Do you require a little extra "girth" in your pant size to carry IWB with that rig?

2) What are those wear marks on your belt from? Is that from other guns / holsters?

Walker

imported post

Armed wrote
2 questions...

1) Do you require a little extra "girth" in your pant size to carry IWB with that rig?

2) What are those wear marks on your belt from? Is that from other guns / holsters?
1. I have at least an inch of slack when wearing an IWB holster for my Kahr or 1911, and let my belt out one notch.

2. That is a very soft belt, and the marks are from the metal clips on the Supertuck. I don't have the same problem with my stiffer belts. They don't show any marks at all.

Walker

Mordis

imported post

I have a Galco combat master for my full sized 1911 and its a good OC holster but lacks for concealed carry. One of its Major drawbacks is a lack of reinforcement for the mouth of the holster. I sometimes collapses or folds in and makes onehanded reholstering difficult.

I to am looking at a concealed holster for mine. Im probably gonna go with a super tuck because you can tuck a shirt over it. I just need to find a good owb holster now. I wonder about the galco fletch highrise .