• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Illinois and other places

Lame Wolf

imported post

For those of us who live in areas that are difficult or impossible for we mere mortals to obtain permits/licenses to carry a firearm, have you considered volunteering as an Auxillary or reserve peace officer. Almost all peace officers have the authority to carry a firearm on duty once they have completed the mandatory training. Also, if they qualify under the LEOSA of 2004, they are now able to carry concealed almost everywhere nationwide. Depending on your location, peace officers range from police officers, deputy sheriffs, coroners, animal control officers, park/game/forest/lake rangers, child /elderly advocate officers, etc. Many of these have part time as well as volunteer officers helping. Yes, you would have to want to genuinely help other and not just be able to carry a firearm. It is definitely a way to give back to society as well as insure the we, the good guys are wearing the badges. Heck in some localities, firemen and paramedics have peace officer status. Just food for thought.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I've been a part time corrections officer for 8 years. Something to do. I carry open with my badge HIDDEN anytime I can.

Yes....there are a few perks....I do have a Ky CDWL, though I don't need it. I really would not advise anyone to volunteer as a LEO of any type just to be able to carry, although I might feel different in a restricted state.:)

junglebob

imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
For those of us who live in areas that are difficult or impossible for we mere mortals to obtain permits/licenses to carry a firearm, have you considered volunteering as an Auxillary or reserve peace officer. Almost all peace officers have the authority to carry a firearm on duty once they have completed the mandatory training. Also, if they qualify under the LEOSA of 2004, they are now able to carry concealed almost everywhere nationwide. Depending on your location, peace officers range from police officers, deputy sheriffs, coroners, animal control officers, park/game/forest/lake rangers, child /elderly advocate officers, etc. Many of these have part time as well as volunteer officers helping. Yes, you would have to want to genuinely help other and not just be able to carry a firearm. It is definitely a way to give back to society as well as insure the we, the good guys are wearing the badges. Heck in some localities, firemen and paramedics have peace officer status. Just food for thought.

Sorry this reply is in the "quote box" for some reason.
As you said auxillary peace officers can carry while "on duty". Besides regular LEOs in Illinois Mayors, Alderman, Village Presidents, Village Trustees, Marshals and Deputy Marshals can carry at all times if they have passed a state mandated firearms course for law enforcement. They are considered "conservators of the peace" under Illionois law. The village of Cahokia Illinois has a number of Deputy Marshals who are Auxillary police officers, though I think most Auxillary Officers in Illinois don't have that designation.

Lame Wolf

imported post

First, Let me make this perfectly clear. I do not recommend volunteering "JUST" to be able to carry a firearm. But many of us actually have hobbies that bring us into the peace officer edge. Why not volunteer in a field of interest and gain a perk to boot. Next, I was only listing various types of peace officers in various states. Not just Illinois. It is interesting that the Mayor and Aldermen are Conservators of the Peace and can become thus qualified while denying it to their citizens.

junglebob

imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
First, Let me make this perfectly clear. I do not recommend volunteering "JUST" to be able to carry a firearm. But many of us actually have hobbies that bring us into the peace officer edge. Why not volunteer in a field of interest and gain a perk to boot. Next, I was only listing various types of peace officers in various states. Not just Illinois. It is interesting that the Mayor and Aldermen are Conservators of the Peace and can become thus qualified while denying it to their citizens.
I found it interesting that one of the deputy marshals for Cahokia was listed as a "fallen officer" killed by a drunk driver.

Isn't it interesting that the Mayor of Chicago who would like everyone there to be defenseless should be allowed to carry, and is rumored to do so, even though he is protected by armed guards. There was a bill in the legislature to prohibit carry by mayors and alderman, village presidents and trustees also I believe if their city or village had a handgun ban. It did not pass.