• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

..6 months and counting in Monroe county

bgcole

imported post

It has been 6 months now since i applied...

How long can they take on this thing? I am in Monroe county, applied for concealed.

What is the law? 6 months?

Thanks, Ben

charliegiv

imported post

It an take as long as it takes. The law doesn't provide for a time frame. You have to expect to wait a minimum of 6 months before you need to start checking on it.

UpNYSteve

imported post

The law does provide a time, six months max. One of my buddies from school took about five months. Are you in Rochester or the subs? From what I've heard is Rochester does extra background checks.

redlegagent

imported post

Processing of license applications. Applications for licenses
shall be accepted for processing by the licensing officer at the time of
presentment. Except upon written notice to the applicant specifically
stating the reasons for any delay, in each case the licensing officer
shall act upon any application for a license pursuant to this section
within six months of the date of presentment of such an application to
the appropriate authority. Such delay may only be for good cause and
with respect to the applicant. In acting upon an application, the
licensing officer shall either deny the application for reasons
specifically and concisely stated in writing or grant the application
and issue the license applied for.

NYS penal law 400.00 states that they are supposed to act within 6 months but if delayed, you are supposed to be notified of the delay. I recently spoke with a former co-worker who recently got his concealed carry permit and it took about 7 1/2 months to get. Depends on the backlog.

stormy

imported post

I got my pistol permit in Orange County. Took over a year. AS you know the law stated it shall be approved or denied with in 6 months. I finally had to get a lawyer to contact the judge and force him to act on my application. I live in Orleans County now, right next to Monroe County. A verygun friendly county that only issues unrestricted permits and acts on an application in a timely manner.

User73

imported post

I would contact your character references and see if any of them got sent a questionnaire or got a phone call from the local pd and did not respond. If any did not respond that can delay your application.