Thread: Wrote an email to Linn County Sheriff about OC

Post imported post

This IS the Reply I got... When I emailed the Linn County Sheriffs office about OC

Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this issue. As you know, by law it is not illegal to carry a side arm on your person as long as it is not concealed. However, as law abiding citizens it is also our responsibility not to cause unneeded concern or distress to our fellow citizens. As you well know in our current society, outwardly displaying a firearm is not a normal practice and can cause concern for those who observe it. Needless to say this would more than likely result in law enforcement being contacted to investigate this out of the ordinary situation.

Not knowing what the actual situation is, Law Enforcement would rightfully investigate this report with caution while contacting any subject outwardly displaying a firearm. Although not illegal, any person making the decision to carry a firearm in this manner should be prepared to be contacted by law enforcement. One should also keep in mind the investigating officer never knows what type of situation he is getting into and will be very cautious.

I hope this answers you question regarding this issue. If you have further questions feel free to contact us in the same manner.

Senior Deputy, Shawn Fielders
    Linn County Sheriff’s Office

Post imported post

If he is actually on the street I would sure hope that Sr. Deputy Fielders is a bit more knowledgable about "Probable Cause" and "Reasonable Articulable Suspicion" then he leads on to be...

-adamsesq

Post imported post

I can email him back an ask him more questions if anyone's got any that they'd like answered

Post imported post

I am interested in hearing what they say as I live in Junction City and frequently travel into Linn County.. I come to Albany quite a bit.. they need to realize that the OC movement is growing. We have more and more people joining the cause and creating local OC groups..

J

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Glockguy wrote:
    SNIP Senior Deputy, Shawn Fielders
    Linn County Sheriff’s Office
    Hopefully he will becautious about 4th and 5th Amendment rights, in addition to any nebulous, so-called rights of others to be free of unneeded concern or stress.

Since there is a dialogue going, I would take the opportunity to ensure he and his deputies understand that legally carrying a firearm does not change the4th Amendment. Citeand quote state and federalcase law where you can.

I'd also suggest letting him know that it is up to 911 call takers to sort out whether something suspicious is actually going on. Around here, 911 call-takers have been trained that OC is legal. In one way, it starts with the call-takers.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

That is something that needs to be addressed here as well.. and everywhere that OC is legal. Having a dispatcher able to discern whether it is just someone walking around with their legal firearm or someone actually USING it.. would be great.

I have seen reports of officers showing up saying all dispatch told them was MWAG. I would love to hear LE showing up, just to make sure the LAC legally carrying wasn't being harrassed by anyone.. hehe..

J