• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wrote an email to Linn County Sheriff about OC

Glockguy

imported post

[font="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]This IS the Reply I got... When I emailed the Linn County Sheriffs office about OC
[/font]

[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]
[/font]

[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]Sir,[/font]
[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"][/font]
[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]Thank you for your inquiry regarding this issue. As you know, by law it is not illegal to carry a side arm on your person as long as it is not concealed. However, as law abiding citizens it is also our responsibility not to cause unneeded concern or distress to our fellow citizens. As you well know in our current society, outwardly displaying a firearm is not a normal practice and can cause concern for those who observe it. Needless to say this would more than likely result in law enforcement being contacted to investigate this out of the ordinary situation. [/font]
[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]Not knowing what the actual situation is, Law Enforcement would rightfully investigate this report with caution while contacting any subject outwardly displaying a firearm. Although not illegal, any person making the decision to carry a firearm in this manner should be prepared to be contacted by law enforcement. One should also keep in mind the investigating officer never knows what type of situation he is getting into and will be very cautious.[/font]
[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]I hope this answers you question regarding this issue. If you have further questions feel free to contact us in the same manner.[/font]
[font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]Senior Deputy, Shawn Fielders[/font]
Linn County Sheriff’s Office
[/font]

adamsesq

imported post

If he is actually on the street I would sure hope that Sr. Deputy Fielders is a bit more knowledgable about "Probable Cause" and "Reasonable Articulable Suspicion" then he leads on to be...

-adamsesq

JBURGII

imported post

I am interested in hearing what they say as I live in Junction City and frequently travel into Linn County.. I come to Albany quite a bit.. they need to realize that the OC movement is growing. We have more and more people joining the cause and creating local OC groups..

J

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glockguy wrote:
[font="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][font="Default Serif,Times New Roman,Times,serif"]SNIP Senior Deputy, Shawn Fielders[/font]
Linn County Sheriff’s Office
[/font]

Hopefully he will becautious about 4th and 5th Amendment rights, in addition to any nebulous, so-called rights of others to be free of unneeded concern or stress.

Since there is a dialogue going, I would take the opportunity to ensure he and his deputies understand that legally carrying a firearm does not change the4th Amendment. Citeand quote state and federalcase law where you can.

I'd also suggest letting him know that it is up to 911 call takers to sort out whether something suspicious is actually going on. Around here, 911 call-takers have been trained that OC is legal. In one way, it starts with the call-takers.

JBURGII

imported post

That is something that needs to be addressed here as well.. and everywhere that OC is legal. Having a dispatcher able to discern whether it is just someone walking around with their legal firearm or someone actually USING it.. would be great.

I have seen reports of officers showing up saying all dispatch told them was MWAG. I would love to hear LE showing up, just to make sure the LAC legally carrying wasn't being harrassed by anyone.. hehe..

J