• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at the General Assembly

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

So what is the actual rule on this, because I'm fairly certain there is no law banning it--at least none that I can find. I've been told that you have to have a Virginia CHP to OC at the General Assembly. Is this accurate or will another state's CWP that Virginia recognizes (ie Florida) suffice?

Just to be safe, and to get me out of the <1000yd from a school requirement, I went ahead and applied for a Virginia CHP on monday. I should have it by Lobby Day, but if I don't, will I have to leave the gun in the car?

streetdoc

imported post

The General Assembly has written into their rules that you must have a CCW Permit to carry in the General Assembly Building, then it does not matter how you carry your firearm either open or concealed. I just called the Capital Police Communications Center and spoke to the Desk Sgt. and said that as long as the out of state CCW is recognized by Virginia you can carry in the General Assembly Building.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As some of you may recall, last October (?) at the Crime Commission hearingthere was a bit of discussion regarding how carry at the General Assembly Building was to be interpreted. The Chief of the Capitol Police ended up trying to give us atendees her personal dispensation for OC-ing, as they at the time thought that only CC was allowed.

Following that meeting several follks contacted several folks in official capacities, and based on the response received at the most recent Crime Commission hearing the question of whether OC or CC was permitted was completely resolved - as long as you have a CHP (or equivalent from some other state, based on Streetdoc's post) they are not going to bother you about having the handgun. Nor will they ask/tell you to be wanded after setting off the metal detector because - duh - you have declared you have a pound or so of steel strapped to your body. As one officer put it, "You already told me you have a gun. Am I going to be concerned more about your car keys?"

While it is not completely settled, an issue that arose at last year's Lobby Day seems to have crawled into a cave to permanently hide. A few folks were told they needed to fill out info in a log book regarding the type of weapon, caliber, and their name/address. I checked on that at the last 2 Crime Commission hearings to see if the logbook still existed, even though they were not asking/telling anyone to enter info into it. As best I could determine, the logbook that I personal viewed last January no longer resides in the GA lobby control booth manned by the CApitol Police Whether or not it has been archived somewhere else is unknown to me.

I want to thank everybody who participated in getting resolution to the matter of carry in the GA Building - folks who would notlet the Capitol Police intimidate them, folks who called, wrote or visited politicians and others at the GA, and those who supported everyone in person and on the discussion boards.

Hope you get nice presents that you can wear to Lobby Day - and I do not mean new sweaters.

stay safe.

skidmark

zoom6zoom

imported post

As one officer put it, "You already told me you have a gun. Am I going to be concerned more about your car keys?"
But they'll still make you put the contents of your pockets through the xray machine in the little basket. You might have a pocket knife!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
As one officer put it, "You already told me you have a gun. Am I going to be concerned more about your car keys?"
But they'll still make you put the contents of your pockets through the xray machine in the little basket. You might have a pocket knife!
I don't recall them having me do that last year.

vt357

imported post

DrMark wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
I don't recall them having me do that last year.
I did, it was pretty silly.

streetdoc

imported post

When I just went down to he Crime Commission Meeting, all I had to do was show them my permit, nothing went through the scanner, not me, not my pocket contents, nothing.

PS: We need to have as many people as we can show up Jan 13th, 10am for the next Crime Commission Meeting.