Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One gun a Month ?

Post imported post

Can anyone show me some insight about this ?

I heard someone mention this in my local gun store, but wasn't sure about it.

Post imported post

In Virginia, you may only purchase one handgun a month from an FFL holder, with certain exceptions. You may purchase more than one a month if you have a Va CHP, if you are trading in another handgun at the same time, and a few other exceptions, listed here:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...ePurchase.shtm

You may want to check out your state police site or www.handgunlaw.us for more info.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Post imported post

Or as some of us are finding out, these tight economic times can make it difficult to comply with the "one gun a month" laws.

Being retired, I will have to consider what luxuries to give up in order to continue purchasing 12 firearms a year. I hear from some sources that it may soon be possible for me to stop paying off my mortgage, thanks to somebody named Barry, so that might ease the financial strain.

Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime, which has always been the purpose behind passing those laws. But it sure looks good that the good old boys & girls down at the statehouse are doing "something" about the situation. Why, I hear talk that after the first of the year tey will start talking about passing a law to make it illegal to violate the law. Not that ought to do something about the crime rate! (In other words, lots of drama but no substance to any of these laws.)

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

It is amazing that the economy in general needs stimulating but not this particular gun related business segment. What do you think it means that the Fed is selling/giving money away at 0% interest (or very low) while we continue to pay our personal debt at 5% - 25%? We honest citizens are the only ones paying debt service.

Post imported post

We'll I've heard that Texans can buy as many as they want daily.

I'm just wondering if there is a map or something with what states, can do what.

Post imported post

Last I checked, I don't even have any debt. The government accrues it for me.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    skidmark wrote:
    Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime, which has always been the purpose behind passing those laws.
    We might expand on that thought. The law wasn'tintended to just reduce crime in Virginia. It was passed in an effort to reduce overall national crime and/or crime in other states as well. Because people were buying oodles of guns in Virginia and taking them out of state to resell.

Sure they were....and Washington DC has lots of "statistics" (we all know the saying, right?) to prove that was happening......right? :quirky One of the gun grabbers from DC got in bed with enough people from Virginia to get that law passed.....I'm sure that's the way it really went down. That law hasn't stopped one gun from leaving the State of Virginia for another state......just punished LACs in the state itself from getting what they want, when they want, when they have a right to have it.

Heck, even in WA, we can buy as many guns as we please.....now the BATFE might start looking a little closely if you suddenly buy 30firearms in one fell swoop, which is another topic of discussion entirely, but the state level doesn't care. Now, if we could just get full auto weapons back, I'd have very little to complain about!

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:

Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime
    skidmark
    Ummmmm maybe, I have absolutely no problem with the one handgun a month law. It doesn't affect me.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

I'm just wondering if there is a map or something with what states, can do what.

SHOME State!!

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    There really was a serious problem with people buying numerous guns in Virginia, and heading straight up north to resell them. This is one of the few gun laws I actually agree with.
    That was a felony all by itself and relatively easy to determine who the prospective felon was. It wasn't necessary to restrict legal purchases.

It's a stupid law.

Post imported post

Read up here on every political leader, scroll to the bottom for all senators and the new up and coming regime..

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    Sure they were.... One of the gun grabbers from DC got in bed with enough people from Virginia to get that law passed.....
    There really was a serious problem with people buying numerous guns in Virginia, and heading straight up north to resell them. This is one of the few gun laws I actually agree with.

But of course, I am biased in my opinion. I can buy as many as I want to each month.

And are you really naive enough to think this law stopped those people in any way shape or form? It is an infringement on the 2nd Amendment and is a step on the path to disarming the citizenry. First you tell them how many weapons they can have and when they can get them, then you tighten the noose and start cutting them off. But hey, since this is OK, that will be too, right? You won't care cause you have special privileges because you used to be a cop? Kinda makes you sound bad considering the position you take on here regarding police and how they have too many powers and abuse their position.

Just sayin this gun law is just as bad as the rest, they are all infringments on our 2A rights. It doesn't stop gun crime in DC, it just inconveniences and potentially endangers good people in Virginia that are trying to buy an item that the founding fathers said never should be kept from them in any way.

And really, the part where you can bypass this law if you have a CHL makes it even worse. They're saying "Oh, well you're restricted, but if you pay us more of your money, you can be more free than the other guy over there." It's the problem with CHLs everywhere. It should be free and readily handed out, better yet, it should just be legal to carry any way you choose, with any gun you choose. That's total and full freedom, not this "death by degrees" BS we call our current state of affairs.

Post imported post

Some states have a one gun a month limit but Louisiana does not. Let's make sure it stays that way.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Oh, SNAP! I've been looking at the 1 gun a month thing all wrong!
    I thought it meant we had to buy at least 1 gun a month!!!
    Hehehehehe

Post imported post

Anyone running guns and can legally buy a gun can just get a CHP. The 30 day law is not going to stop many un-caught criminals.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SNIP Having a Concealed Handgun Permit makes me no better than Tom, Dick and Harry living up the street from me.
    Got a lot of CHP holders up the street, do you?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

Kansas, we can buy as many as we want anytime.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Nevada is good to go!:celebrate

The only thing that was accomplished by Virginia's law is it made the straw purchasers have to drive a few extra miles to get to another unregulated state.

Post imported post

When are the law givers going to get it. All they have to do is pass a law that makes dying a felony, that would certainly fix the problem of violent crime. Nobody wants to be a convictedfelon.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I don't like or agree with "one gun a month". I doubt that it is effective with straw purchases, and I know that it doesn't prevent murderers (Cho).

They first took away our right to purchase firearms
    and I didn't speak up because I don't buy many guns.....

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    When are the law givers going to get it. All they have to do is pass a law that makes dying a felony, that would certainly fix the problem of violent crime. Nobody wants to be a convictedfelon.
    Well it would be more effective to make it against the law to die as the result of being shot by a criminal. That would solve the problem of innocent gunshot deaths.

You don't want the simple act of dying to be illegal, after all there are some folks who really do need to move on to make room for more reasonable people.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    Well it would be more effective to make it against the law to die as the result of being shot by a criminal. That would solve the problem of innocent gunshot deaths.

You don't want the simple act of dying to be illegal, after all there are some folks who really do need to move on to make room for more reasonable people.

Regards
    I most certainlyagree. What was I thinking?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Like ALL gun control laws, this is a feel good measure that does ZERO to prevent crime, and ONLY infringes upon a law-abiding citizen's right to keep and bear arms.

If you ain't wit me, you agin' me.

Post imported post

http://www.stategunlaws.org/xshare/p..._scorecard.pdfpurports to list "one handgun per month" laws for all 50 states. Be warned though: I don't consider the Brady Campaign a terribly reliable source of information. For example, fully half of Utah'sscore isundeserved imo: Utah is credited (or dinged, depending on your perspective) for "No Shoot First Law: Deadly force not allowed to be a first resort in public" despite a very clear 76-2-402 (3) "A person does not have a duty to retreat ..."

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    VAopencarry wrote:
    Anyone running guns and can legally buy a gun can just get a CHP. The 30 day law is not going to stop many un-caught criminals.
    True. The law didn't fix much to write home about. Virginia simply wanted the spotlight taken off of them when being accused of selling any amount of guns to anybody at any given time, thereby creating the "gun runner" problemin other states. It could be described as one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" laws. It fixed our publicity problem, but didn't solve the problem in other states.
    Well that didn't take the spotlight off of virginia in the least. Remember Bloomberg?:?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast