• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One gun a Month ?

RedKnightt

imported post

In Virginia, you may only purchase one handgun a month from an FFL holder, with certain exceptions. You may purchase more than one a month if you have a Va CHP, if you are trading in another handgun at the same time, and a few other exceptions, listed here:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm

You may want to check out your state police site or www.handgunlaw.us for more info.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Or as some of us are finding out, these tight economic times can make it difficult to comply with the "one gun a month" laws.

Being retired, I will have to consider what luxuries to give up in order to continue purchasing 12 firearms a year. I hear from some sources that it may soon be possible for me to stop paying off my mortgage, thanks to somebody named Barry, so that might ease the financial strain.;)

Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime, which has always been the purpose behind passing those laws. But it sure looks good that the good old boys & girls down at the statehouse are doing "something" about the situation. Why, I hear talk that after the first of the year tey will start talking about passing a law to make it illegal to violate the law. Not that ought to do something about the crime rate! (In other words, lots of drama but no substance to any of these laws.)

stay safe.

skidmark

Sheriff

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime, which has always been the purpose behind passing those laws.
We might expand on that thought. The law wasn'tintended to just reduce crime in Virginia. It was passed in an effort to reduce overall national crime and/or crime in other states as well. Because people were buying oodles of guns in Virginia and taking them out of state to resell.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

It is amazing that the economy in general needs stimulating but not this particular gun related business segment. What do you think it means that the Fed is selling/giving money away at 0% interest (or very low) while we continue to pay our personal debt at 5% - 25%? We honest citizens are the only ones paying debt service.

compmanio365

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime, which has always been the purpose behind passing those laws.
We might expand on that thought. The law wasn'tintended to just reduce crime in Virginia. It was passed in an effort to reduce overall national crime and/or crime in other states as well. Because people were buying oodles of guns in Virginia and taking them out of state to resell.

Sure they were....and Washington DC has lots of "statistics" (we all know the saying, right?) to prove that was happening......right? :quirky One of the gun grabbers from DC got in bed with enough people from Virginia to get that law passed.....I'm sure that's the way it really went down. That law hasn't stopped one gun from leaving the State of Virginia for another state......just punished LACs in the state itself from getting what they want, when they want, when they have a right to have it.

Heck, even in WA, we can buy as many guns as we please.....now the BATFE might start looking a little closely if you suddenly buy 30firearms in one fell swoop, which is another topic of discussion entirely, but the state level doesn't care. Now, if we could just get full auto weapons back, I'd have very little to complain about!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Seriously, one-gun-a-month laws have had no impact on reducing crime
skidmark
Ummmmm maybe, I have absolutely no problem with the one handgun a month law. It doesn't affect me.

Sheriff

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:

Sure they were.... One of the gun grabbers from DC got in bed with enough people from Virginia to get that law passed.....
There really was a serious problem with people buying numerous guns in Virginia, and heading straight up north to resell them. This is one of the few gun laws I actually agree with.

But of course, I am biased in my opinion. I can buy as many as I want to each month.

les_aker

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
There really was a serious problem with people buying numerous guns in Virginia, and heading straight up north to resell them. This is one of the few gun laws I actually agree with.

That was a felony all by itself and relatively easy to determine who the prospective felon was. It wasn't necessary to restrict legal purchases.

It's a stupid law.

compmanio365

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

Sure they were.... One of the gun grabbers from DC got in bed with enough people from Virginia to get that law passed.....

But of course, I am biased in my opinion. I can buy as many as I want to each month.
And are you really naive enough to think this law stopped those people in any way shape or form? It is an infringement on the 2nd Amendment and is a step on the path to disarming the citizenry. First you tell them how many weapons they can have and when they can get them, then you tighten the noose and start cutting them off. But hey, since this is OK, that will be too, right? You won't care cause you have special privileges because you used to be a cop? Kinda makes you sound bad considering the position you take on here regarding police and how they have too many powers and abuse their position.

Just sayin this gun law is just as bad as the rest, they are all infringments on our 2A rights. It doesn't stop gun crime in DC, it just inconveniences and potentially endangers good people in Virginia that are trying to buy an item that the founding fathers said never should be kept from them in any way.

And really, the part where you can bypass this law if you have a CHL makes it even worse. They're saying "Oh, well you're restricted, but if you pay us more of your money, you can be more free than the other guy over there." It's the problem with CHLs everywhere. It should be free and readily handed out, better yet, it should just be legal to carry any way you choose, with any gun you choose. That's total and full freedom, not this "death by degrees" BS we call our current state of affairs.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Oh, SNAP!:banghead: I've been looking at the 1 gun a month thing all wrong!:banghead:
I thought it meant we had to buy at least 1 gun a month!!!
Hehehehehe

Sheriff

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
And are you really naive enough to think this law stopped those people in any way shape or form?..... You won't care cause you have special privileges because you used to be a cop? Kinda makes you sound bad considering the position you take on here regarding police and how they have too many powers and abuse their position.... And really, the part where you can bypass this law if you have a CHL makes it even worse.

Yes, I truly believethe law slowed down these people and prevented a lot of weapons from Virginia from getting into the bad guy's hands in other states. DC and New York for example had singled out Virginia as their biggest problem. The Virginia law was nothing more than a bandaid though, not a cure to their troubles.

I don't have an exemption because I was a sworn deputy sheriff for so long. I have the exemption because I have a Concealed Handgun Permit. I agree that this permit should not be a legal exemption. Having a Concealed Handgun Permit makes me no better than Tom, Dick and Harry living up the street from me.

VAopencarry

imported post

Anyone running guns and can legally buy a gun can just get a CHP. The 30 day law is not going to stop many un-caught criminals.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SNIP Having a Concealed Handgun Permit makes me no better than Tom, Dick and Harry living up the street from me.

Got a lot of CHP holders up the street, do you? :)

Sheriff

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Anyone running guns and can legally buy a gun can just get a CHP. The 30 day law is not going to stop many un-caught criminals.
True. The law didn't fix much to write home about. Virginia simply wanted the spotlight taken off of them when being accused of selling any amount of guns to anybody at any given time, thereby creating the "gun runner" problemin other states. It could be described as one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" laws. It fixed our publicity problem, but didn't solve the problem in other states.