• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 year old, First handgun

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChanFu wrote:
This is the second time in my short life on this forum that I've had to tell someone under 21 that they cannot legally (federal law) buy handguns or handgun ammunition.
I'm not going to give you a hard time for being wrong, but what I do want to know is, where do you come up with this stuff?

Dustin

imported post

So Danger boy, any progress ?

I'm picking up the P22 this week with a laser :D

pix436372890.jpg

Legba

imported post

Sorry but I just had to wince a bit. The first two recommendations for new guns to get for the VA. Tech poster were the Glock 19 and the Walther 22 - the very guns that Cho used on his rampage there... unintended, I'm sure. Creepy anyway.

-ljp

Dustin

imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry but I just had to wince a bit. The first two recommendations for new guns to get for the VA. Tech poster were the Glock 19 and the Walther 22 - the very guns that Cho used on his rampage there... unintended, I'm sure. Creepy anyway.

-ljp

:shock:

They are extremely common pistols though.

Sad day that was. Like pigs to the slaughter, and no different either. Those kids were absolutely DENIED their right to defend their own life or the life of their fellow man. Shame.

shad0wfax

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
This is the second time in my short life on this forum that I've had to tell someone under 21 that they cannot legally (federal law) buy handguns or handgun ammunition. What you may be referring to is the "gun show" loophole which is to say that you bought a (supposedly 'used') handgun without a background/age check. If you did, you have a federally illegal firearm in your possession (and probably ammunition, too). My suggestion would be to sell it and buy a .410 gauge Saiga shotgun, equip it with a 15-round clip, a nice Tapco stock, and just sling it over your shoulder with your bookpack. The 20 gauge is nice, too...

I'lltell you for my first time (but not the first time in this thread)that federal law doesnot prohibit someone over the age of 18 but under the age of 21 from aquiring a handgun from a private party.

There is no "gun show loophole" in existence. That's a term drummed up and misusedby anti-gun leftists like Obama. Federal law currently allows fortransfer from one private party to another private party (at a gun show, at your house, at your friends house, or anywhere else you please) without FFL transfers taking place. The 21 year requirement has to do with new handguns from FFL dealers to a private person. Once that FFL transfer has taken place, that private party can sell the handgun to anyone over the age of 18 they wish, so long as they have no reason to believe the private party they're selling to is inelligible to own a firearm in the first place.

Also, I'd like to know what shotguns can use clips! Please enlighten me, since that's the first time I've ever heard of ANY shotgun that can be loaded via stripper clips!

For some clarification, here's clips and magazines:

stripperclipsglockmagazjc8.jpg

Maybe you should stick to Airsofts, ChanFu?

WCrawford

imported post

This is my personal opinion, but I'm going to suggest that the OP look at something a bit larger than a 9mm for a personal defence firearm.

I carry a Glock 30 (.45) and love it. My next gun will be a Glock 21 (no need to buy another caliber :p). Then my fiance will be carying my G30 (she says the G21 is too large for her) once she gets her HCP.

Ilove the reliability of the Glocks and enjoy the higher capacity magazine over the 1911 (an exellent firearm, but finiky IMO).

If you are just going to do target practice, I do like the Walther P22. It is so fun and ammo is dirt cheap (especially compared to the .45).

Above all, no matter what, shoot the gun before you buy it if at all possible. What feels comforable when just holding may not be when shooting (made that mistake with a S&W 10mm).

shad0wfax

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
This is my personal opinion, but I'm going to suggest that the OP look at something a bit larger than a 9mm for a personal defence firearm.
[snip]

I tend to agree. I favor the .45 ACP or the .357 S&W Magnum for personal defense. Both are proven calibers with a very good record of stopping threats quickly.

(I open and CC both calibers, depending on my attire and my destination.) I do have a little Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP which I sometimes carry on extremely hot days when I need deep concealment, but if I do have to defend myself with it, my shot placement will have to be perfect if I want to put down a threat quickly. (This is not ideal.)

Tallinthesaddle

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Got my wife started with a Walther P22, that jammed every other magazine. That was discouraging to her, first time out. I then bought her a Ruger 22/45 that feeds great. It also sets her up for a larger pistol. I owned a Sig Mosquito but it coughed a few times also. My gunsmith tells me to use high velocity 22LR ammo in semi-auto pistols rather than a standard load.

eyesopened

imported post

Tallinthesaddle wrote:
Got my wife started with a Walther P22, that jammed every other magazine. That was discouraging to her, first time out. I then bought her a Ruger 22/45 that feeds great. It also sets her up for a larger pistol. I owned a Sig Mosquito but it coughed a few times also. My gunsmith tells me to use high velocity 22LR ammo in semi-auto pistols rather than a standard load.

Nah, just buy a better pistol :lol:My 10yr old used 22/45 eats that Federal Bulk Ammo from Walmart. I've heard the Mosquito and P22 having some problems so Iavoided them and went with the 22/45 and couldn't be happier.

That same ammo cycles my ciener .22 kit in my AR.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
(I open and CC both calibers, depending on my attire and my destination.) I do have a little Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP which I sometimes carry on extremely hot days when I need deep concealment, but if I do have to defend myself with it, my shot placement will have to be perfect if I want to put down a threat quickly. (This is not ideal.)
This was my first handgun. It's incredibly easy to carry. I'll second your statement that shot placement is key. I prefer FMJ (for maximum penetration) though I used to carry it with Corbon Pow'R'Ball. Live and learn.

I wanted something in a larger caliber that was easier to control, so I moved up to the Kahr line (P9 currently, but considering a P40 or K40). Now the kel-tec has a cushy spot at home.

I have a .45 1911 that is a dream to shoot, but I haven't trained enough to feel effective carrying it yet. Creating the muscle memory to disengage the safety during the draw is a pain!

curtm1911

imported post

What is the Main Purpose of the Firearm?

If for Self Protection May I suggest the Kel-Tec P-11. Small, Potent, and kinda fun to go out and shoot.

Fun and Plinking: Ruger MKII or MKIII 22/45 if you shoot 1911's, and LOT'S of extra mags........more fun to shoot than reload, I have lots

Maybe a wheelgun in .357......shoots .38's.........fun to shoot........

More info needed......

curtm1911

imported post

Better than Cloven Hooves...............lol

I want to add to the subject of the picture too, and not just toes from the other foot either...............

bordsnbikes

imported post

The reason 9mm is so widely distributed is because it works. Whether you feel 9mm or .45 is better that's up to you but the bottom line is if you put the bullet in the middle of the chest they are both effective.

As for Cho using the Glock and Walther, crazy or not, he picked good guns. Don't let that make you feel weird because he used them. Plenty of crazies have used great guns. Your attaching a stigmata to guns, nothing wrong with the guns.

Shadowfox, awesome picture! It drives me crazy when people say clip instead of magazine.

You can buy 9mm and .40 if your 18 or older because they are not only used in handguns. There are probably others but those are the two I know about. The Kel-Tech Sub-2000 is a good example. If they give you any grief when buying it tell them about that and then tell them to look it up. There is something saying what you can and can't buy at what ages.

shad0wfax

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
The reason 9mm is so widely distributed is because it works. Whether you feel 9mm or .45 is better that's up to you but the bottom line is if you put the bullet in the middle of the chest they are both effective.

[snip]

Shadowfox, awesome picture! It drives me crazy when people say clip instead of magazine.

[snip]

The 9x19 is effective, but like the .380 shot placement is important. Center of Mass is the best way to shoot, but it's not always an option.

I posted that picture because ChenFu was aggrevating me with his trolling. :banghead:

Walleye

imported post

On the other hand, even a .22 is better than throwing rocks or using fists. Not everyone is able to get and support the largest bore calibers out there, so you use what you can.

For example, I chose a SIG P226 for my carry gun because I was already setup to do 9x19 reloading and had plenty in stock. Having to support another caliber such as .40 or .45 Long Colt would have set me back more than I was willing to spend. It also enabled me to practice more and gain proficiency for less cost.