• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

19 year old, First handgun

dangerboy42

imported post

I'm a 19 year old college student at Virginia Tech. I've been shooting fairly regularly all my life. I'm a member of Virginia Tech's pistol and rifle club. I know the how to handle a weapon safely. I was looking into buying a .22 caliber pistol to start with, but I'm not sure what kind I should get. I want a dependable weapon that's easy to maintain. I'm also not sure how I can buy one in Virginia. I think 18+ year olds can buy from a private party, but I'm not sure what that means. Any input on what kind of weapon i should look into or any insights on VA law would be much obliged.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

dangerboy42 wrote:
I'm a 19 year old college student at Virginia Tech. I've been shooting fairly regularly all my life. I'm a member of Virginia Tech's pistol and rifle club. I know the how to handle a weapon safely. I was looking into buying a .22 caliber pistol to start with, but I'm not sure what kind I should get. I want a dependable weapon that's easy to maintain. I'm also not sure how I can buy one in Virginia. I think 18+ year olds can buy from a private party, but I'm not sure what that means. Any input on what kind of weapon i should look into or any insights on VA law would be much obliged.

Glock 19.

With that you need proper training, good habits, etc.

www.tacticalresponse.com

Dustin

imported post

dangerboy42 wrote:
I know the how to handle a weapon safely.

Iwould stray away from being so sure. Complacency Kills ;)Plus since you've never owned a handgun before, it might be a little premature to so your a "know how pro". :)

Eitherway if your going to carry for self-defense I'd recommend a higher caliber.

If your just trying to get your hands on one to get the know how and feel down, then a Walther P22 would be a great starting weapon. Check the link below for Walther vs. SIG discussion.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/19155.html

wap22003.jpg

Every man should have a 22 Pistol. It'sfun to shoot, and CHEAP !!! for ammo.:cool:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Good post, dustin.

The .22 with help you with trigger control and getting on the front sight. I Personally would go with a .22 conversion for my Glock for the reason that you would be shooting the same setup. Going from a weapon that has a trigger reset to one that doesn't can cause muscle memory issues.

Dustin

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Good post, dustin.

The .22 with help you with trigger control and getting on the front sight. I Personally would go with a .22 conversion for my Glock for the reason that you would be shooting the same setup. Going from a weapon that has a trigger reset to one that doesn't can cause muscle memory issues.

Conversion kits a good point too, but the Kit cost as much as a Walther P22 by itself. :uhoh:

eyesopened

imported post

Ruger Mark pistol is one of the most reliable .22 pistols manufactured. I bought my MK II 22/45 used and it's a 10yr old pistol. It's accurate as hell and runs like a champ even if I don't clean it after every range trip. Doing a complete strip and clean is kind of a PITA if you've never done it before, but it's not really that bad. If you're a 1911 guy, then the 22/45 mimics the grip angle and feel of a 1911, even has the controls in the general area as a 1911.

Conversion kits are nice, but having a whole separate gun in .22 is just asnice IMHO. If you're planning on carrying for self defense, then definitely look at least a 9MM. To be honest though, I still wouldn't want to be shot by a .22 and I've heard that more people are killed by a .22 than all other calibers combined according to an FBI study. The recoil with a .22 is pretty light so it's quite easy to put 10rds on target in a very small amount of time.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some great ideas in this thread (excepting a Glock 19 :p, but that is just because I personally don't enjoy Glocks although the 19 has especially proven itself to be an excellent, durable sidearm).

I'm not clear on the purpose the OP has for the firearm. Is it to just learn to shoot a pistol? Is it to learn with and to OC for self-defense? Or is it for other purposes.

Hcidem

imported post

I have a 9mm I use for defensive carry, but I also purchased a Beretta U22 Neos this year. Its a nice .22 cal for target shooting and training my kids on. Its fun to shoot, and might be worth using in your rifle & pistol club.

I picked it up at Gander Mountain for $235. The sales associate claimed he purchased one for his daughter to carry while away at college.

foxcall

imported post

welcome aboard dangerboy, fellow hokie here. i wanted a .22 pistol as my first handgun as well, but when i was in the gun store browsing around i just couldn't resist - so i picked up a CZ-75. it was like being a kid in a candy store :lol:.

but if you're set on a .22 try the walther p22 or ruger mk2. I shot my buddy's mk2 the other day and it is nice!! However, if you plan on carrying it I'd go for the walther instead.

as for a private sale - just look around some classifieds, being 19 just means you can't buy a handgun in a gun shop yet. Lots of people sellin stuff.

anyways, back to finals :banghead:

Tumbleweeds

imported post

dangerboy42 wrote:

I have one question. Not that I agree with the federal law but When did it become legal for a 19 year old to buy a pistol?

Last timeI checked, Frderal law saya that a person has to be 21 yr. old to buy a pistol or revolver and to buy handgun ammo if it was for a pistol or revolver. If it has changed I'd like to know.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
What sucks is you can't buy ammunition until you're 21, even if you already own the gun.
I never had much of a problem with that... I always just said it was for a rifle. Then again, at the time that was the truth. :p

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
What sucks is you can't buy ammunition until you're 21, even if you already own the gun.
I never had much of a problem with that... I always just said it was for a rifle. Then again, at the time that was the truth. :p

Hard to do that when you're buying 9mm Luger rounds, or .380auto, etc... :p

Tumbleweeds

imported post

marshaul wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Yeah that's what is screwy about buying ammo. Back in the 90's a neighbor (he was under 21 at the time) and I were talking to a dealer and he said he couldn't sell .22lr ammo to my nieghbor if it was for a handgun but the minute he said it was for a rifle he could sell it to him.

Really screwy that you have to say the handgun ammo is for a rifle to legally buy it if you are under 21.

eyesopened

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
marshaul wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hard to do that when you're buying 9mm Luger rounds, or .380auto, etc... :p
not too hard. they make 9mm carbines (Hipoint), though I don't know of any .380s

ChanFu

imported post

dangerboy42 wrote:
This is the second time in my short life on this forum that I've had to tell someone under 21 that they cannot legally (federal law) buy handguns or handgun ammunition. What you may be referring to is the "gun show" loophole which is to say that you bought a (supposedly 'used') handgun without a background/age check. If you did, you have a federally illegal firearm in your possession (and probably ammunition, too). My suggestion would be to sell it and buy a .410 gauge Saiga shotgun, equip it with a 15-round clip, a nice Tapco stock, and just sling it over your shoulder with your bookpack. The 20 gauge is nice, too...

TheMrMitch

imported post

Sorry, ChanFu....he is allowed by federal laws to purchase privately and own a handgun with ammo under the age of 21.....He cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer.:cool:

No flame intended sir.:dude:

VAopencarry

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
dangerboy42 wrote:
This is the second time in my short life on this forum that I've had to tell someone under 21 that they cannot legally (federal law) buy handguns or handgun ammunition. What you may be referring to is the "gun show" loophole which is to say that you bought a (supposedly 'used') handgun without a background/age check. If you did, you have a federally illegal firearm in your possession (and probably ammunition, too). My suggestion would be to sell it and buy a .410 gauge Saiga shotgun, equip it with a 15-round clip, a nice Tapco stock, and just sling it over your shoulder with your bookpack. The 20 gauge is nice, too...
I'd say in your short time on this forum it is apparent 90% of the forum members know more about gun laws than you. Pipe down and brush up on the law.