• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi-cap mags in Illinois

SkipCoryell

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll be driving through IL tomorrow on my way out West.
I know IL was trying to ban hi-cap mags. Is it legal for me to transport hi-cap mags unloaded, in my trunk, separate from my pistol as I drive through?

Skip

Johnyt101

imported post

Illinois did not ban hi-cap mags, but a few local governments did (chicago, aurora, a few others), but you should be fine under federal law if you are just driving threw those places. BTW, if they are in your trunk, the magazines do not have to be unloaded as long as they are not in the firearm.