• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Danbus goes to trial Feb 10, 2009

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Because the Danbus Legal Defense Fund thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/17367.htmlgot a bit off on a tangent, I thougt I'd start a new one focusing on his upcoming trial. You can still go there to get info on how to donate to the fund.

The date is Tuesday, January 13, 2009. The calendar calls for it at 9 AM, but that is merely the start of the business day for the court. When his case will be called is a decision made by the Clerk, the lawyers, and the judge.

Folks who want to coordinate carpooling can do so here, as well as other possible logistics such as arranging meet-ups the night before between "locals" and those who may arrive the night before to avoid getting up at zero-dark-thirty AM in order to make the drive (and I do not do early mornings, even with copious amounts of coffee).

stay safe.

skidmark
*edited to correct day of week - I am temporarly challenged.

nitrovic

imported post

Which arrest is this in reference to? I don't feel like reading through tons of pages. I'm a bit lazy tonight.

Thanks

nitrovic

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Which arrest is this in reference to? I don't feel like reading through tons of pages. I'm a bit lazy tonight.

Thanks

You missed the whole thing with Dan being singled out in Norfolk? 

I think there were several arrests prior. Just wondering which was going to trial. I actually thought it was settled previously, I guess not.

Bubba Ron

imported post

The one that was settled previously was his first one - the one where the responding officer held him spread out against a wall with a gun to his head.

This one was right after the 2nd Norfolk City Council meeting we (VCDL) attended - Dan was getting off the escalator on his way to the parking garage to go home.

Armed

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Danbus goes to trial Jan 13, 2009

and

VA Crime Commission Meeting - Jan 13, 2009

Interesting timing.

Probably just a coincidence. Non the less... how 'bout an empty holster show of force for Danbus at his trial?

mobeewan

imported post

AFAIK No taxes are due on court awards or settlements since the are considered damages and not incometo make one whole again.

Edit: Never mind, I got it, I believe you meant us and not Dan. I'm a little stressed out right now with a family crisis. Surfing to get my mind off things. I should just read and not respond to postsright now.

no carry permit ?

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
AFAIK No taxes are due on court awards or settlements since the are considered damages and not incometo make one whole again.

Edit: Never mind, I got it, I believe you meant us and not Dan. I'm a little stressed out right now with a family crisis. Surfing to get my mind off things. I should just read and not respond to postsright now.
Not true ! Only actually damages are exempt for tax purposes. Awards of a punitive nature, pain & suffering etc, are subject to Federal taxation. I believe it was Tax reform 1996 made this UNjustifiable change in tax code.

ChinChin

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

Not true ! Only actually damages are exempt for tax purposes. Awards of a punitive nature, pain & suffering etc, are subject to Federal taxation. I believe it was Tax reform 1996 made this UNjustifiable change in tax code.

Couldn't Dan's atty file a counter-bill charging continuing harassment and violation of his civil rights under the color of law? That is where the real punch to the city coffers would come from. That and the elusive admission of wrongdoing.

Bulldog1967

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

Couldn't Dan's atty file a counter-bill charging continuing harassment and violation of his civil rights under the color of law? That is where the real punch to the city coffers would come from. That and the elusive admission of wrongdoing.

I like the way you think and would subscribe to your newsletter! :celebrate

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dan mentioned at the last OC dining out that the court day may get pushed to later in Jan. Dan, any new news on the court date?