Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asked to Disarm

Post imported post

Went with my 16 yo daughter tonight to the Verizon Wireless Store in Reston at the Reston Spectrum next to theTown Center. Sig 225 in my paddle retention holster on my side.

This is not the first time I have been in this particular VZW store armed, since I just replaced a phone about 60 days ago.

Was there for about 15 minutes waiting for a salesman and walking around with my daughter browsing.

A salesman finally came over and we were discussing some new phones I needed to purchase when over comes a manager (name on the name tag was Martin). He asks me if I am "law enforcement?" Not a totally uncommon question for me to hear since I keep my my hair veryshort and I am usually dressedbusiness casual.

I answered "No, why?"

His response:"Sir I know that in Virginia you are allowed to carry a gun and I also know thatas manager I can ask you not to carry it in the store."

"Yes you can" I say.

"Sir I am going to have to ask you tosecure your weapon and/or leave the store."

I asked him if he has ever heard of the VCDL and he says yes.

I inform him that I will do so, but that I will be letting everyone here plus the VCDL knowwhathe has asked me to do so and that is a lot of business he may be forfeiting by his decision.

He said he understood but that it was corporate policy.

So to make a long story short, I secured my firearm in my vehicle because I really needed to get this phone thing done, but when my contract comes up for renewal, I will be seriously considering changing carriers if it is in fact a Verizon Wirelesspolicy.

Does anyone here know?

Any suggestions for follow up with VZW.

This is the first time in 7 months of active open carry that I have had a single issue with anyone asking me to disarm, and I carry everyday all over Reston/Herndon/Sterling/Chantilly/Centreville.

Thanks

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

Post imported post

Sorry to hear about that. I was thinking about going to V from Sprint, I guess not (I actually was thinking about getting in on Verizon stock as well, not anymore).

On another note, have you had anybody come up and say something positive about your OC'ing?

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    Sorry to hear about that. I was thinking about going to V from Sprint, I guess not (I actually was thinking about getting in on Verizon stock as well, not anymore).

On another note, have you had anybody come up and say something positive about your OC'ing?
    I have had a couple of questions and positive conversations, a young safeway cashier who said it scared her, but I assured her there was nothing to be scared of, and a lot of people who never said a word. Most of the time I just go unnoticed. I attribute part of that to how I look and dress. 48, very short greying hair and generally dressed business casual or at least cleanly and neatly. Figure people take mefor a LEO, or just not a threat and pay no attention.

Be Careful Out There.

Paul

Post imported post

When out and about, I typically go unnoticed. The most postive thing I have had happen is that my wife and kids are finally comfortable with my carrying. I remember the first day I OC'd anywhere, my 7 year old son was freaking out thinking that the cops were going to arrest me. He now has no problems with it.

Post imported post

"Well, as the manager, I would also think it is within your right to allow a customer who is here to spend money in your store to just go ahead and do that, too, no?"

There are way too many VZW outlets to put up with that. Even if it is the corporate line, there are bound to be some that still value a customer and the money they spend.

Just a thought.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    "Well, as the manager, I would also think it is within your right to allow a customer who is here to spend money in your store to just go ahead and do that, too, no?"

There are way too many VZW outlets to put up with that. Even if it is the corporate line, there are bound to be some that still value a customer and the money they spend.

Just a thought.

TFred
    while i agree, at least the manager knew the law and policy. lucky for him the OP was in a hurry/needed to get it over with.

Post imported post

while i agree, at least the manager knew the law and policy. lucky for him the OP was in a hurry/needed to get it over with.

If I did not have my daughter with me and one of the phones I was there to buy was for her, I would have walked in a heartbeat and sought out another VZW store that probably would let me conduct my business in peace.

Since this OC thing is relatively new (7 months) and my kids have accepted it, but not yet fully comprehend why I do it, the timing factormade it necessary for me to suck it up, stay and complete my business.

Be Careful Out There

Paul

Post imported post

dyver1 wrote:

If I did not have my daughter with me and one of the phones I was there to buy was for her, I would have walked in a heartbeat and sought out another VZW store that probably would let me conduct my business in peace.

Since this OC thing is relatively new (7 months) and my kids have accepted it, but not yet fully comprehend why I do it, the timing factormade it necessary for me to suck it up, stay and complete my business.

Be Careful Out There

Paul
    Didn't mean to imply that you should have acted differently given your situation, just thinking out loud after the fact...

TFred

Post imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
    Not necessarily, he could have thought it was "corporate policy" - when in fact it was policy banning EMPLOYEES from carrying guns into the store, not customers.

I'd call his district manager and see.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I OC'd at the Verizon store in Henrico a few months ago.

The 120 pound unarmed security guard eyed me for a few minutes. The salesman told me that he felt safer with me there armed than with the unarmed guard. I was never asked to leave.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

So no option of CC even offered? I'm just trying to figure out if he was saying that carry in a Verizon store is prohibited however, or just OC.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I've OC'd a couple of times in the Verizon store on Jefferson Ave. in Denbigh (Newport News), with no problems, and I'm sure some folks saw me. If it is against corporate policy, they didn't appear to know or care. And I don't look like an LEO.....

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Sprint is the same way. FYI

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Does anyone actually know what Verizon's policy is?

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Look, if you want Joes and Janes to view the right to carry firearms as commonplace, then you must accept the right these same folks have to their property.

The manager was polite and respectful; he doesn't need corporate policy to ask you to leave.

You did the right thing by considering your relationship with this store and contacting corporate.

You both acted within your rights, did so in a respectful way and now life goes on.

Carry on

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    So no option of CC even offered? I'm just trying to figure out if he was saying that carry in a Verizon store is prohibited however, or just OC.
    He did not offer me the option to CC, but that was probably becasue of the way I was dressed. I was not wearing any kind of coat, just a long sleeved polo shirt, and khackis with the Sig in a leather paddle retention holster secured by a leather gun belt that also secured my pants in place. Covering up without leaving the store was really not an option.

After I left the VZW store, I retreived my firearm, rearmed myself and my daughter and I walked into the Harris Teeter that is right next door. Shopped for about 20 minutes without a single person noticing.

Be Careful Out There!

Paul

Post imported post

I currently have 3 types of Verizon service. I would really like to know Verizon's stance on Second Amendment policies and issues so that I can decide whether I want to continue patronizing them.

But, I agree, the manager was very professional and courteous and knew what he was talking about. The fact that a CC option wasn't mentioned is curious as I have CC'd in Verizon stores before and never took note of any posted prohibitions on such.

Post imported post

jmlefler wrote:
    Look, if you want Joes and Janes to view the right to carry firearms as commonplace, then you must accept the right these same folks have to their property.

The manager was polite and respectful; he doesn't need corporate policy to ask you to leave.

You did the right thing by considering your relationship with this store and contacting corporate.

You both acted within your rights, did so in a respectful way and now life goes on.

Carry on
    Wrong.

Managers don't "own" the property - corporate policy dictates these kinds of things when it isn't a "mom and pop" kind of store.

Just like Wal*Mart managers have to follow corporate policy and can't make up rules within their store regarding firearms.

Property owners can dictate whatever rules they want on their land, managers cannot.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    jmlefler wrote:

Carry on
    Wrong.

Managers don't "own" the property - corporate policy dictates these kinds of things when it isn't a "mom and pop" kind of store.

Just like Wal*Mart managers have to follow corporate policy and can't make up rules within their store regarding firearms.

Property owners can dictate whatever rules they want on their land, managers cannot.
    Unless they have been given the authority to act at their own discretion by corporate, you are right.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Unless they have been given the authority to act at their own discretion by corporate, you are right.

And that is why, if you are asked to leave, leave and sort it out later (If you cannot convince the manager there otherwise on the spot easily).

Post imported post

I have OC'd into a number of Verizon stores, a number of times (Warrenton and Manassas) without problem. I even had a sales person notice it after talking for a few minutes and then jokingly say "I give good deal, you no shoot me!" while making gun symbols with his thumb/index finger. We both had a little laugh and I told him no, it is for self defense only, but about those deals...

I was probably wearing a Polo and Jeans or the like, and am generally clean cut, if not a little scruffy (don't particularly like to shave on my days off).

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:

And that is why, if you are asked to leave, leave and sort it out later (If you cannot convince the manager there otherwise on the spot easily).
    and when you sort it out be sure to go about it in a way that won't make the store end up posting the property.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Here is the problem with all of this. If a store or the manager of a store wants to close his shop to firearms, fine. Put up a sign to that effect. By not doing that they are treating different people differently. That is just plane unreasonable.

There is a provision in Virginia law specifically for use by property owners and their authorized agents to use to limit access to their property by persons who are armed. IF firearms owners are expected to respect the property owners rights, then the property owner should comply with the law in enforcing them. A small 8x10 sign on the door would solve the issue in ALL of these cases.

The only reason they could possibly have for NOT putting up a sign is that it advertises their position on firearms and self defense and it might cost them some business. Also it affords them the opportunity to allow certain people to carry and prohibit others. Hence the question (which we have all heard before) that was put to the OP before he was asked to leave.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Are you a LEO?

I am not in a position to discuss my employment with you. Please identify yourself.

Post imported post

Oh, OK. Your employment is none of Verizon's business. Unless you are applying with them for a job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast