• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Midland and a couple Questions

viperar15

imported post

So I just went in today and paid my dues for my CPL. Now I wait for the ok to pick up my license in roughly 30 days or so. After doing so, I started looking for information on open carry for my private land since i just bought 10 acresand... well... i ended up here.

While having a CPL and OC'ing, while driving around do you need to be concealed or is OC in a vehicle ok (even though just being in your vehicle i believe is considered concealed)? basically... holster on hip in plain view while driving is fine?

Next question... I was looking in the OC experiences people have had and only seen a couple from Midland and everything was good. any other people in Midland have comments about OC in Midland?

Thanks!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Welcome to the forum viperar15. I'm not from midland so I can't really speak for that area but I can tell you that I personally have never had a problem with anyone while OC'ing in or around my area. Also, if you have a CPL yes, you may carry openly in your carry with the holster on your hip. No CPL= you have to properly store your firearm.
Please re and reread all the info on the site starting with http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

There's a lot of great people with some great info on this site so don't be afraid to ask questions if you need anything you read clarified.

viperar15

imported post

ya know.. that would hurt... and be top heavy too. :)

so i was reading over the letter to the LEO and it states that a CPL allows a person to carry a michigan registered handgun registered in another persons name? does the other person have to be present? if not, does this mean i could actually take my brothers handgun to the shooting range to shoot?

ajelias

imported post

viparar15 do you ever stop at Joe Gun in Sanford I live in Midland and hang out there every now and then

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

viperar15 wrote:
ya know.. that would hurt... and be top heavy too. :)

so i was reading over the letter to the LEO and it states that a CPL allows a person to carry a michigan registered handgun registered in another persons name? does the other person have to be present? if not, does this mean i could actually take my brothers handgun to the shooting range to shoot?
The other person does not need to be present. If a handgun is registered in Michigan you can possess it (as long as it's not stolen.;)). You can borrow anyones legal handgun and go to the range, hunting, carry for self defense, use in any way as if itwas your own.

SQLtables

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
So I just went in today and paid my dues for my CPL. Now I wait for the ok to pick up my license in roughly 30 days or so. After doing so, I started looking for information on open carry for my private land since i just bought 10 acresand... well... i ended up here.

While having a CPL and OC'ing, while driving around do you need to be concealed or is OC in a vehicle ok (even though just being in your vehicle i believe is considered concealed)? basically... holster on hip in plain view while driving is fine?

Next question... I was looking in the OC experiences people have had and only seen a couple from Midland and everything was good. any other people in Midland have comments about OC in Midland?

Thanks!

If you've read experiences from Midland, you've probably seen mine. I spend a fair amount of time in Midland. I've OCed in Wal-mart, Meijer, both Speedways, Applebees, McDonaldsand all over the mall on Eastman. I've also OCed in places on Saginaw, like Pizza Hut and the Mcdonalds with the playplace (I miss the ball pits). I've never even heard anybody mention my gun in Midland. I've had people look at it, and then, miraculously, go about their business.

Actually, the worst place to OC in Midland is my girlfriends parents. Her mom is just one of those people... Actually, at first she told me not to carry at all in her house, so I didn't, not even concealed, but then after a while she said I could carry as long as she didn't see it, so I just concealed while in the house, but left my Serpa on my belt. Just the other day, I ran in just to get Christy and left my gun in my Serpa, since I would be just running in and leaving. Well, her mom saw it, and said something like "you're gun keeps getting bigger?!?!". Turns out, she thought the Serpa was actually my gun the whole time.:shock: