• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coolest Oc today

DEROS72

imported post

I was at the safeway I always go to for coffee.Went over to the US bank with my bare Tanfaglio witness hanging out.Not to many there have not seen me around.Anyway standing at the counter talking with my banks assistant manager Mihn and a Seatac police officer.I think one lady behind thought he was there to arrest me.He had simply seen the replica CIB I was wearing on my collar and said he was also army and we were simply standing there trading war stories. (Him from Iraq and me from Vietnam)He glanced at my sidearm but didn,t say a word.Wished me a good day said thanks for my service and we went our seperate ways.I like the way OC, if you are out and about in your everyday lifebecomes a non issue.Especially in places you may frequent.Except the one lady that seemed a little confused that I was Talking with a Leo and the bank assistant manager at the counter and I didn't get arrested for anything.I will say most of the Seatac and Desmoines Leos I encounter have really been great.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm always happy to read about uneventful encounters. I'm sure some find them boring, but it gives me hope that OC will continue to spread and that it will be the next step in We, The People regaining our nation.

just_a_car

imported post

I've found the same as you, DEROS. If you frequent a place and become a "regular", even if the people were initially apprehensive about OC, they become accustomed to it and will likely tell the 'new guy': "Oh, don't worry about him, he's a regular here."

I know this works; I've had it work at a local diner I frequent where I've made friends with almost all the night waitstaff and the managers. More than once they've had patrons ask them about if I was LEO or what my deal was and the answer varies, but I liked one response from a smaller female waitress: "Oh, he's a regular here. We actually like him coming in because it can get dangerous around here in the middle of the night." This was all without me knowing about the discussion until afterwards she told me about it.

John Hardin

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
... talking with ... a Seatac police officer. ... Wished me a good day said thanks for my service and we went our seperate ways.
Bravo, good to hear!

General question: Would it be a good idea to shake the officer's hand at your parting, if the encounter was that positive? I personally think that would reinforce the positive nature of the encounter on both sides...

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
... talking with ... a Seatac police officer. ... Wished me a good day said thanks for my service and we went our seperate ways.
Bravo, good to hear!

General question: Would it be a good idea to shake the officer's hand at your parting, if the encounter was that positive? I personally think that would reinforce the positive nature of the encounter on both sides...

Yup. I would. I always try to do that, whenever I come in casual contact with an LEO and engage in a conversation. (speeding tickets need not apply in this case--haha)

I've always been taught thata firmhandshake, and a sincere look in the eye will go a long way towards establishing a good rapport, regardless of the situation or parties involved.