Thread: So is the Chet/Harborfest settlement good news, bad news or old news that I've missed?

Post imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/norf...un-arrest-case

Norfolk to pay $15,000 in Harborfest gun arrest case By Harry Minium
    Tim McGlone
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © December 18, 2008 NORFOLK
    A Yorktown gun-rights advocate who sued Norfolk after his arrest at Town Point Park for openly carrying a handgun will receive a $15,000 payout to settle the federal lawsuit.
    Chester "Chet" Szymecki Jr. sued the city after his arrest in June 2007 on a charge of violating a city ordinance prohibiting firearms at Harborfest. The city later learned that the ordinance is unenforceable because state law prohibits localities from regulating firearms.
    Szymecki sued in U.S. District Court claiming violations of his Second Amendment right to bear arms, but a judge threw out that part of the case. The judge ruled, however, that city police may have violated Szymecki's privacy rights by demanding his Social Security number.
    The case was scheduled for trial Tuesday.
    City Attorney Bernard A. Pishko said the settlement avoids the high price of going to trial. The city did not admit any wrongdoing, he said.
    Pishko said the police are aware of the rights of gun owners, largely because of several high-profile disputes involving gun-rights activists in Norfolk.
    "I think the police are very aware, more aware than they might have been before," he said.
    A federal judge threw out a related suit by Szymecki's wife, who claimed a sheriff's deputy violated her rights during her husband's arrest.

Feel free to delete this if it is indeed old news or discussed elsewhere.

Post imported post

The Norfolk Police know the law? Then how do they explain the danbus situation? Fools.

I'm glad Chet won...but now I hope they give Dan a payout...plus a full newspaper page apology for being idiots...

Post imported post

Thanks for posting this. If it was posted previous I had missed it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Just published 3 hours ago, and already several good comments. Recommend hitting the link to read them.

The original incident was June 2007, so almost a year and a half ago. I'm still "new", can anyone summarize why the judge threw out the 2A part? That would seem to be the most important!

TFred

Post imported post

And again the city gets away with not having to admit any wrong doing.

I wonder if Chet will now be filing a case in state court for Norfolk trying to enforce the invalid city ordinance andphysically injuring him.

I hope he also got additional attorneys fees in the settlement.

Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Just published 3 hours ago, and already several good comments. Recommend hitting the link to read them.

The original incident was June 2007, so almost a year and a half ago. I'm still "new", can anyone summarize why the judge threw out the 2A part? That would seem to be the most important!

TFred
    He filed a Federal Civil Rights violation lawsuit. The 2A part was thrown out because the court did not recognize the incorporation of the 2A under the 14th A. (The argument was that the 2A only applies to the federal government, not the states.)
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

No unambiguous 2A-clone in VA law?

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Perhaps that couldn't be addressed in the Federal Civil Rights suit and they either haven't brought or we haven't heard about a separate one to address that? (I have no idea, I'm just throwing a dart into a dark room with that...)

Post imported post

Settling without admitting wrongdoing is kind of like an Alford plea.

But remember, IANAL...

TFred

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Actually I think the 2A in the US Constitution is the *clone* :^).

Post imported post

VA Bill of Rights, Article I, Section 13

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

Definition of Virginia Militia, Virginia Code § 44-1

"The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

Post imported post

essayons wrote:
    VA Bill of Rights, Article I, Section 13

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."

Definition of Virginia Militia, Virginia Code § 44-1

"The militia of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall consist of all able-bodied citizens of this Commonwealth and all other able-bodied persons resident in this Commonwealth who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who are at least sixteen years of age and, except as hereinafter provided, not more than fifty-five years of age. The militia shall be divided into four classes, the National Guard, which includes the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard, the Virginia State Defense Force, the naval militia, and the unorganized militia."

So the next step would be state court for violation of VA Bill of Rights, Article I, Section 13 right?

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Did the Court ALSO order payment of attorney's fees?

I would expect the attorney's fees to well-exceed $15K.

Post imported post

I can't believe the judge threw out his wife's case! She was threatened with arrest for trying to film the false arrest on her cell phone. How is this not a violation of her 1st amendment rights?

Post imported post

If the Szymeckis are satisfied, so am I.

Post imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
    I can't believe the judge threw out his wife's case! She was threatened with arrest for trying to film the false arrest on her cell phone. How is this not a violation of her 1st amendment rights?
    You forget, the courts are part of the government - they might be "separate" but they all have the same interests, the power of the government.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    kimbercarrier wrote:
    You forget, the courts are part of the government - they might be "separate" but they all have the same interests, the power of the government.
    Hillary heard the news about his wife.