Thread: Carry not allowed at Flaming Joes in Spokane

Post imported post

On Wednesday night I went to Flaming Joes in Spokane with a couple of friends for dinner. I was CCing and noticed a sign on the door as I walked in, you know the one: "As per RCW 9.41.300, firearms aren't allowed on the premise....blah, blah, blah". I wasn't going to enter but looking in, I noticed kids all over the place so I walked in and had dinner. After dinner I requested to speak with the manager and informed him that that RCW only banned firearms from places off limits to people under 21 years of age and that the sign should be moved to the bar, if there was one. He told me that they have lots of LEO customers, and that several had looked at the sign and told them that it was legal. I then asked that if it was indeed legal, why then were they allowing people under 21 years of age into a restricted area? He just replied that the police had said that the sign was legal. I politely ask for the officers names so that I could contact them and figure out what was said; he refused, stating that he didn't want to get them in trouble. I replied that if they were indeed right, then they wouldn't get in trouble but would simply educate me on the subject, but he still refused. I finally got him to admit that they were from the Spokane police department. I got the feeling that he had never read the RCW and didn't care at all because the police had told him that it was right, so it was.

Anyway, is there any way that I could convince someone up in Spokane to look into this a little further?

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
    On Wednesday night I went to Flaming Joes in Spokane with a couple of friends for dinner. I was CCing and noticed a sign on the door as I walked in, you know the one: "As per RCW 9.41.300, firearms aren't allowed on the premise....blah, blah, blah". I wasn't going to enter but looking in, I noticed kids all over the place so I walked in and had dinner. After dinner I requested to speak with the manager and informed him that that RCW only banned firearms from places off limits to people under 21 years of age and that the sign should be moved to the bar, if there was one. He told me that they have lots of LEO customers, and that several had looked at the sign and told them that it was legal. I then asked that if it was indeed legal, why then were they allowing people under 21 years of age into a restricted area? He just replied that the police had said that the sign was legal. I politely ask for the officers names so that I could contact them and figure out what was said; he refused, stating that he didn't want to get them in trouble. I replied that if they were indeed right, then they wouldn't get in trouble but would simply educate me on the subject, but he still refused. I finally got him to admit that they were from the Spokane police department. I got the feeling that he had never read the RCW and didn't care at all because the police had told him that it was right, so it was.

Anyway, is there any way that I could convince someone up in Spokane to look into this a little further?
    Did he having a problem with you (or others) carrying? I can't tell from your story.

Post imported post

diesel556 wrote:
    Did he having a problem with you (or others) carrying? I can't tell from your story.
    We were all carrying concealed.

Post imported post

Easiest way to deal with this is to contact the WA Liquor Control Board and alert them to the improper placement of the sign.

From other members accounts on the WA forum, this will rectify the issue. The placement of the signs is very strict per law and my guess is the restaurant risks losing its liquor license if it doesn't comply... quite the motivator.

Anyways, it's always nice to have the government take care of keeping the uneducated in-line with the law. ;-p
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Spokane Enforcement Office
    1303 W Broadway
    Spokane, WA 99201-2029
    Phone: (509) 625-5513
    Fax: (509) 625-5524
    Office Hours: 8:00-5:00
    Email: cs@liq.wa.gov

Tell them about the sign placement. They will educate and get it placed properly.

Post imported post

Dave The Welder wrote:
    He told me that they have lots of LEO customers, and that several had looked at the sign and told them that it was legal.
    I have, during my lifetime, found that there are several absolutes that apply to LEO's:

Not all of them know how to drive

Not all of them know how to shoot

Not all of them know the laws they are paid to enforce

Almost all of them think they know everything about the above three topics.

On your issue, just contact the Liquor Control Board and p!$$ on the opinions of the Spokane LEO's. WSLCB will set the manager straight.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

I actually contacted that office a few months back and spoke with somebody about this sign. I spoke with the owner and she had told me that the LCB told her she had to have it posted.

Anyhow, as you found out, I was unsuccessful at making progress there. Maybe that office needs a fee more calls, and maybe somebody else might have better luck. I really do love their food.

Post imported post

I actually contacted that office a few months back and spoke with somebody about this sign. I spoke with the owner and she had told me that the LCB told her she had to have it posted.

Anyhow, as you found out, I was unsuccessful at making progress there. Maybe that office needs a fee more calls, and maybe somebody else might have better luck. I really do love their food.