• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chet settles for $15,000 in Harborfest gun arrest case (Virginia)

Thundar

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/norfolk-pay-15000-harborfest-gun-arrest-case

Norfolk to pay $15,000 in Harborfest gun arrest case

By Harry Minium
Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot
© December 18, 2008

NORFOLK

A Yorktown gun-rights advocate who sued Norfolk after his arrest at Town Point Park for openly carrying a handgun will receive a $15,000 payout to settle the federal lawsuit.

Chester "Chet" Szymecki Jr. sued the city after his arrest in June 2007 on a charge of violating a city ordinance prohibiting firearms at Harborfest. The city later learned that the ordinance is unenforceable because state law prohibits localities from regulating firearms.

Szymecki sued in U.S. District Court claiming violations of his Second Amendment right to bear arms, but a judge threw out that part of the case. The judge ruled, however, that city police may have violated Szymecki's privacy rights by demanding his Social Security number.

The case was scheduled for trial Tuesday.

City Attorney Bernard A. Pishko said the settlement avoids the high price of going to trial. The city did not admit any wrongdoing, he said.

Pishko said the police are aware of the rights of gun owners, largely because of several high-profile disputes involving gun-rights activists in Norfolk.

"I think the police are very aware, more aware than they might have been before," he said.

A federal judge threw out a related suit by Szymecki's wife, who claimed a sheriff's deputy violated her rights during her husband's arrest.

Another win for the good guys. I wonder if this agreement means Chet cannot sue in State court. IIRC the 2A civil right claim was thrown out in federal court because the 2A was not recognized as being incorporated inder the 14th. Would love to see a state claim filed.

darthmord

imported post

Should anything like this ever happen to me,twoterms of the settlementwould be admission of wrongdoing and a subsequent change to policy & behavior so no one else has to deal with it again.

I seriously doubt that I'd ever get those two terms though.

*edit for clarity*

ChinChin

imported post

Why no comment from Chet? I thought this was not going to be setteled out of court on general principal pertaining to rights, and to get an admission of wrong doing on the PD's part?

Not saying the decision WASN'T Chet's and his family's to make, nor that Chet made a right nor wrong decision (that can only be determined by Chet and his Wife) but I'm curious to know what prompted the decision to settle rather than see this to conclusion?

RedKnightt

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Why no comment from Chet? I thought this was not going to be setteled out of court on general principal pertaining to rights, and to get an admission of wrong doing on the PD's part?

Not saying the decision WASN'T Chet's and his family's to make, nor that Chet made a right nor wrong decision (that can only be determined by Chet and his Wife) but I'm curious to know what prompted the decision to settle rather than see this to conclusion?
Renegade is Chet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Stay tuned for future episodes of "As Norfolk Turns." This is apparently not the whole enchilada.

The 15K may only be the appetizer with the main course yet to come.

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Renegade wrote:
Trust me guys...this settlement was for one small part of the case against the City of Norfolk and the individual police officers. More information will be shared in the future.
Maybe you got a good deal, Chet, compared to this guy from Agusta, Georgia:

Packing heat

[SNIP]

AUGUSTA, GA - In a settlement filed in District Court on Dec. 4, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office admitted violating an Augusta man’s Fourth Amendment rights by seizing and holding his firearm.

The settlement brings closure to a bizarre case that is equal parts highbrow constitutional philosophy and lowbrow absurdity.

“If police officers can forcibly detain people any time they see them with a firearm, then the Second Amendment would cease to exist,” said Ed Stone, president of the gun rights group georgiacarry.org and co-counsel for Mead. “How can you bear arms if every police officer who sees you can stop you and detain you?” By settling out of court, Ellison saves the county the embarrassment of a trial and, potentially, quite a lot of money.

“We agreed to settle it because, technically, we felt the officer made the wrong call,” he says, pointing out that had Mead won even a token judgment from a jury, the county would have had to foot Mead’s attorney fees, which would have been considerable.

Though the settlement awarded Mead $1,000 in damages and over $3,000 in attorney fees, Mead’s frustration with the way the situation was handled remains high.

rmodel65

imported post

Repeater wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Trust me guys...this settlement was for one small part of the case against the City of Norfolk and the individual police officers. More information will be shared in the future.

Packing heat

[SNIP]

AUGUSTA, GA - In a settlement filed in District Court on Dec. 4, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office admitted violating an Augusta man’s Fourth Amendment rights by seizing and holding his firearm.

The settlement brings closure to a bizarre case that is equal parts highbrow constitutional philosophy and lowbrow absurdity.

“If police officers can forcibly detain people any time they see them with a firearm, then the Second Amendment would cease to exist,” said Ed Stone, president of the gun rights group georgiacarry.org and co-counsel for Mead. “How can you bear arms if every police officer who sees you can stop you and detain you?” By settling out of court, Ellison saves the county the embarrassment of a trial and, potentially, quite a lot of money.

“We agreed to settle it because, technically, we felt the officer made the wrong call,” he says, pointing out that had Mead won even a token judgment from a jury, the county would have had to foot Mead’s attorney fees, which would have been considerable.

Though the settlement awarded Mead $1,000 in damages and over $3,000 in attorney fees, Mead’s frustration with the way the situation was handled remains high.

yes but they also got a declaration that his rights were violated, and they only kept his gun from him :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
Repeater wrote:
Renegade wrote:
yes but they also got a declaration that his rights were violated, and they only kept his gun from him :p
I would imagine that if this were to ever happen to him again, the sin-tax would be dramatically larger.

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

Renegade,

God bless you and your family this holiday season and throughout the year.

Thank you for standing up for the those of us who believe in the 2A.

Best of luck with any further legal actions.

ChinChin

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

Renegade is Chet.
D'Oh! Sorry Renegade!

BSProof

imported post

"IIRC the 2A civil right claim was thrown out in federal court because the 2A was not recognized as being incorporated inder the 14th."

Why do state Citizens insist on going into court "under" federal laws? Maybe because they don't understand (thanks to the public fool system) that states are superior to the federal gov't.

UNLESS YOU'RE A "FEDERAL" CITIZEN, USE THE STATE CONSTITUTION!

There are 5 (count them, 5) amendments (sic) that are not applicable to the states under the 14thA.

The right to self-preservation and property (if there is no "bear arms" language) is the equivalent.

Also, these are not "constitutional" rights, they are "natural" rights. The constitutions can not grant rights to people, any more than some other group of people can "grant rights" to anyone other than themselves.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A Constitutional right is a natural right which has been Constitutionally enumerated. Constitutional rights reflect natural rights, but they are not indistinct.