• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know where I can find a Bersa Thunder

celticredneck

imported post

My daughter has decided ti put off buying a new laptop until next year, and purchase the pistol instead. She still wants the Bersa, but I have not been able to find one in my area, Does anyone know of a gun/sporting goods store within 50 or so miles of the Richmond area that has any in stock? I've been to Dances, Greentop, and Gander mountain, and no luck. Dances cannot even find any at their supplier. Mail order through a dealer would be a last resort, because my daughter lives in Roanoke and is only going to be here for a week around or just after Christmas. So far my only options are from Dances. They have a Sig P232 in stock, and I believe a Keltec. The Sig is probably more than she wants to pay, and I personally hate the Keltec's trigger pull.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

drive down to the beach, and check superior pawn and gun out on the boulevard. I'll probably be in there looking around or at the range today, so ill message back if i see one.

Sheriff

imported post

Ahh.......... http://www.gunbroker.com :D

Purchase one, pay for it quickly, and have it shipped overnight to your nearest FFL dealer. Most of the people on Gunbroker will take a credit card right over the phone.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a friend in the neighborhood that has a Bersa. Not sure what model, but Thunder rings some bells. He just got a Glock a few months ago. I can check to see if he's interested in selling the Bersa if you want. We live on the north side of Richmond.

celticredneck

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Don't rule out a larger caliber in a different size frame.

.380 is the bare minimum of what we recommend for a good defensive caliber.
I agree, but of all of mine and my wife's guns, My wife's Bersa is the one she could shoot the best. Of course a small frame 9mm might work too. The only 9 she tried was my old Tanfoglio BTA90. It is rated as a compact, but is all stainless steel and thus it is heavy. That said, I once read something to the effect that a hit with a .22 is preferable to a miss with an elephant gun. And, from what I've read, with the proper loads, the .380 can be just as effective as a .38 snubbie.

sitedzn

imported post

I got mine at Degoff's a year or so ago. And for what it's worth, I may be interested in selling it (need to ok with the wife - it's supposed to be her's but she won't carry it).

I have the DLX model (9 round mag), an extra 7 rnd mag, ankle holster and Accumold belt holster. Plus I have quite a bit of brass for it (most folks leave small stuff like this laying around at the range).

I will say this too - I need to do a good cleanup job on it. Wearing on the ankle during the summer while out surveying tends to build up some sweat on the leather portion of the holster, which transfers to the weapon (ie. some small rust spots that I need to take care of).

celticredneck

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Roanoke firearms shows two on their website. I bought my Taurus from them, seem to be good enough folks.
Thanks for the info, Hokie. My daughter called them this afternoon and they actually had three in stock. I was able to convince her that she did not have to have me with her to buy her first pistol. I just received a call from her saying that she bought it. She was amazed at how easy the purchase went. Filling out the paperwork took her longer than the background check. Now she is on the way to WalMart to buy ammo. I told her to start out with a hundred round box of Winchester white box. She's coming to my palce in Amelia on Wednesday, and I'll show her how to strip it down, clean and lubricate it before we go outside to burn most of the hundred rounds. I'm going to get her a box Speer Gold Dots for defensive loads and let her shoot a few of these too. By the way, I am a Hokie fan too, so GO HOKIES, BEAT CINCINATTI!

P.S.

Thank you to everyone else who offered help in locating the Bersa.