• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi Point! Oh yes, i went there

Urban Knight

imported post

Ok, i have gotten into many heated arguments about this "firearm" there seems to be so many people who say Hi Point is a quality handgun that is reliable, and accurite. I disagree very strongly with this, how many people would really use a Hi Point for a carry/ self defense weapon?

your thoughts please

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I don't have any experience with the guns. Is your disagreement based upon actual experience or conjecture based upon price and appearance or what other people said?

All I know about the hi-points is that they are ugly, and while somewhat cheap you can often find military surplus guns for similar prices, cheaper, or sometimes only marginally more expensive.

While I have absolutely no experience with them, I have heard of a lot of pleased owners, especially of the carbine. I've also heard of some people that didn't like them mainly due to their clunkiness. A lot of people say the company has a great warranty.

Urban Knight

imported post

my disagreement is based on first hand experiance, made form cheap polymer and pot metal, it like to jam every other round... I see the warranty kinda like KIA'a 100.000 mile warranty, have to give it a good one because it's gonna break

sraacke

imported post

I hear a lot of the same comments made about my Ruger P-89. "It's so big and clunky." "It's a cheap POS." "It's ugly as a mule."

You know what? My Ruger will feed and fire any 9mm ammo you put in it. It's a true workhorse.

If the Hi Points are as reliable and accurate for the affordable prices they are asking for them I would not have a problem with owning one or two. I really don't care about what a gun looks like. Will it go bang when I need it to? That's all I care about.

compmanio365

imported post

Carried a Hi Point 45 for over a year until I had enough saved up to buy my 1911. It was big and heavy but it went bang everytime I pulled the trigger, and was at least as accurate as the 1911. If you tried it and didn't like it, fine. But if you're just repeating what you've "heard from others", you're doing yourself and others a disservice.

Decoligny

imported post

Had a few jams in the first 100 rounds, then polished the feed ramp and no problems since. I have about 1,000 rounds through my C9.

It is my primary home defense/OC weapon. I also have a Beretta, but the Hi Point fits my hand better.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I bought my Hi Point .45 just because I didn't have one. BIG AND FUGLY, but goes bang without a miss. Cheap...$149....lifetime warranty. I keep it in my glove box as a backup.:dude:

Jaycob

imported post

Hi Point is a decent firearm for the buck. I have had a few jams, with certain rounds. I now only use blazer rounds.. Never had a jam with them and ive spit about 1000 rounds. You just need to find the ammo that will work with it. Dont use hollow points, thats a gauranteed jam.

rds801

imported post

I have a C9 that I use as my carry weapon. I do trust it with my life. Does it really matter if people think it's ugly? I mean if you have to use it in a SD situation then all the BG see is the business end. Mine goes BANG everytime I pull the trigger. That's all you can ask for. I do wish it was lighter but for $150 i can live with it.

hp01.jpg

Hcidem

imported post

I just don't see why people feel driven to complain about a particular make of gun they don't even use. I guess certain folks tie their egos too closely to their choice of weapon. As for the rest, I'd have to say they must buy into the argument without giving it much thought.

I would never advise anyone to expect 100% reliability from any manufactured product "out of the box." Automobiles and guns are both known for having "break-in" periods. This period of use both familiarizes the user with his machine, and allows certain parts to wear-in to the point of a better mechanical fit.

It is therefore advisable to break-in Hi-Point guns- if only for the owner to become familiar with its operation. I purchased my C-9 gently used, and have had no issues save one failure to feed with a single, reloaded, hollow-point round. I shoot it regularly, and handle it frequently. This allows me to trust its operation with my life, if necessary.

Speaking of which, I frequently read "How much is your life worth?" parroted across internet forums. Let me tell you...there isn't a gun made that's worth my life. I prefer to choose ease of function and familiarity of use in choosing my weapon.

Are these the sole reasons I own a Hi-Point? Definitely not. The C-9 I own has allowed me to introduce myself and my son to pistol shooting after an initial investment of under $150. It has allowed me to begin building my skills toward the point where they will be limited by my pistol's accuracy (which has not happened yet). It has allowed me to observe and investigate other pistol makes and models during this period so I can make a well-informed choice of my next centerfire pistol.

Also, when I finally decide on my next pistol purchase, I will not go around bad-mouthing the C-9 which has served me so well. I intend to keep it as a rugged jobsite gun I won't have to worry about damaging.

"...cheap polymer and pot metal." IsUrban Knight serious? I would never purchase a weapon if I had any problem with the composition of its components. Did he?

If I overlook aparticular feature on any product I buy, I can fault nobody other than myself. My wife once purchased a mid-sized car with a 4 cylinder engine - her mistake. Those models are no longer made with 4-cylinder engines. On the other hand, Hi-Point still manufactures and sells pistols - basically the same version as they have been selling.

I'm tired of writing, now...tirade over...enough said. :)

MamaLiberty

imported post

Jaycob wrote:
Hi Point is a decent firearm for the buck. I have had a few jams, with certain rounds. I now only use blazer rounds.. Never had a jam with them and ive spit about 1000 rounds. You just need to find the ammo that will work with it. Dont use hollow points, thats a gauranteed jam.
I've not handled the Hi Point .45, but have owned one of the 9mm for years. I don't shoot it much myself because the blowback recoil is more than I like, but many of the gentlemen who take my handgun and CC classes like to shoot it.

As someone else said, I had a few jams in the first box of rounds put through it, mostly because of the recoil and my small hands, but the men fire it without a burp. I can't recall if I ever tried to feed it hollowpoints, however, so will have to do that and see what happens.

It's a great gun for the price, and I really do like the carbine very much. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have been thinking about getting one in 9mm as a "car gun" for my wife. She doesn't have her CCW yet and I would be really upset if the Sig she prefers to use was stolen from her car (she spends a lot of time in a major metropolitan area for work). A handgun that goes bang when you need it to with a lifetime warranty that I understand is well and fairly honored makes a lot of sense to me for such an application.

MamaLiberty

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I have been thinking about getting one in 9mm as a "car gun" for my wife. She doesn't have her CCW yet and I would be really upset if the Sig she prefers to use was stolen from her car (she spends a lot of time in a major metropolitan area for work). A handgun that goes bang when you need it to with a lifetime warranty that I understand is well and fairly honored makes a lot of sense to me for such an application.
Well, that might work if she wants it. As I said, they are not comfortable to shoot. Let her try it out first, if possible.

I carry my XD.45 all the time, and certainly don't worry about it being stolen, but if she has to leave the gun in the car (what good is it... but that's another discussion) - this might do in a pinch.

In any case, let her decide.

Jaycob

imported post

Alright, this is what it boils down to. For the price, its a great bargain. You need to try about a 100 rounds each of different brands of ammo. I gaurantee that some will jam, while others with shoot with each squeze of the trigger..If times are tight, buy a hi point, test some different brands of ammo, find which works best and use only that brand..Hollow points dont work well with my .45, but regular bullets (Blazer Brand) shoot each squeze without any problems, proper cleaning and lubricant is common sense, so keep it clean and lubed.

The price of the gun isnt a big deal, find the best ammo that works and when you squeeze the trigger, it'll shoot.

Its big, bulky, top heavy, and pretty ugly. But, when it comes down to it, I dont care if its the ugliest gun in the world, it'll put a whole in whatever you have to shoot, and thats what its about.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Said it once, I'll say it again: The piece looks like a mutant potato with a hardon and is so ugly it would turn Medusa Gorgon to stone.

BUT!!!! from all reports it is reliable and inexpensive and has a guarantee for life just like Craftsman and MAC tools do.

I guess there are a lot of Hi-Point owners who feel like the guy who married an ugly girl and, when chided, responded "Well maybe she ain't all that pretty but BOY CAN SHE COOK!!.

Now I wanna get one...

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have heard that they are very reliable. I don't personally own one, but I have handled one, and in my opinion, it is a great choice for defensive carry because even if it fails to fire or you run out of bullets, I would HATE to be hit by one! I would compare that to being hit by a sledge hammer....