• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Help!

chuck500cc

imported post

I know that this is an open carry forum, which I support for this very reason. Acording to the DPS they are all caught up on thier CHL request/renewals. Then Why don't I have my renewal yet? It has been over 120 days. I have nothing on my record. I need an inside name or number because I have been getting the major run around from the usual folks in Austin.:cuss:

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Are we talking this long for renewals or new applicants? Mine is coming up for renewal so I may need to do this a little early this time.:banghead:

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There seems to have been an increase in applications coming in to the state. I read anarticle dated May 8, 2008 that said "The state is taking a month longer than the 60 days allowed by law to process original applications, the newspaper reported. Renewals are going 80 days past the mandated 45-day period." You can see the article at http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/050808kvuegunpermits-cb.df4079f7.html

Also in September,theDPSsent me a letter saying "Due to the catastrophic events and aftermath of Hurricane Ike, obtaining the required field investigation results for the counties located in the Gulf Coast area will be delayed for an unknown period of time while disaster recovery efforts are underway." So this just added to the delays.

chuck500cc

imported post

I'm a renewal and I have been told, as of today, four different times that a supervisor will call me back. This has not been done. They have had my paperwork since Aug 19th.:cuss:

I have already had one state background check and an independent federal background check, to which none are related to this or each other and both have come back approved. So what gives?

Chuck XD Fan

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From what I have heard, renewals go through the same process as a new applicant. Here is a copy of the letter they sent me in September, it has a manager's name and some phone numbers on it, maybe it will help.

[align=left]TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY[/align]

[align=left]REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE[/align]

[align=left]CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSING BUREAU[/align]

[align=left]5806 Guadalupe Street - Box 4087 MSC 0245 - Austin, Texas 78773-0245[/align]

[align=left](800) 224-5744 (512) 424-7293 (512) 424-7294[/align]

[align=left]Fax (512) 424-7284[/align]

[align=left]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us[/align]

[align=left]
September 2
6, 2008[/align]

[align=left]Dear Sir/Madam:[/align]

[align=left]This letter is to inform you of an unforeseen delay with the processing of your concealed[/align]

[align=left]handgun application.[/align]

[align=left]Due to the catastrophic events and aftermath of Hurricane Ike, obtaining the required field[/align]

[align=left]investigation results for the counties located in the Gulf Coast area will be delayed for an[/align]

[align=left]unknown period of time while disaster recovery efforts are underway. The Department remains[/align]

[align=left]hopeful that these delays will be minimal; however, a specific timeframe for processing is not[/align]

[align=left]available at this time. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your[/align]

[align=left]understanding in this matter.[/align]

[align=left]If you have any further questions, please visit our Website:[/align]

[align=left]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm[/align]

[align=left]The Website will be regularly updated with additional information as it becomes available.[/align]

[align=left]Sincerely,[/align]

[align=left]Jan Coffey, Manager[/align]

[align=left]Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau[/align]

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wouldn't think that it would, I was just sharing my experience. There is a forum dedicated to chl's, go to http://texaschlforum.com/and you'll see a whole list of different ideas, experiencesand scenarios. Some included writing your TX St Senator or Rep. and some have said that has helped speed things up.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

chuck500cc wrote:
I know that this is an open carry forum, which I support for this very reason. Acording to the DPS they are all caught up on thier CHL request/renewals. Then Why don't I have my renewal yet? It has been over 120 days. I have nothing on my record. I need an inside name or number because I have been getting the major run around from the usual folks in Austin.:cuss:

In most states you could just open carry without any permission slip from the police till your concealed permit came in. texas should joint these states.