Thread: Banning Ammunition

Post imported post

Read down towards the end of the article about wanting to lead the way. If they start on one kind of

ammo how long will it be before another is banned? The assaults are coming on our rights starting with the constitutional convention I talked about 2 months ago ! wake up AMERICA

L.A. council tightens gun, ammunition laws The move is intended to help reduce the city's gun and gang violence, but an NRA lawyer says a lawsuit is likely. By Maeve Reston
    December 18, 2008 The Los Angeles City Council approved a package of gun control laws Wednesday, placing new requirements on ammunition sellers and banning the sale of military-style ammunition in the hopes of further reducing the city's gun and gang violence.

The measures ban the sale of .50-caliber ammunition, capable of penetrating a car's engine, and would require the city's ammunition vendors to be licensed, to sell ammunition face-to-face instead of over the Internet and require gun dealers to report a full accounting of their inventory twice a year to the Police Department.

The council passed laws prohibiting the installation of secret compartments for guns in cars and allowing the city to permanently seize vehicles used by certain gang members during a crime, which was proposed by City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo.

The council also approved an ordinance that would allow landlords to evict tenants who are convicted of illegally possessing weapons or ammunition within 1,000 feet of the rental property.

A lawyer for the National Rifle Assn. said his client probably would file suit to block some of the measures.

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who helped develop the ordinances with Councilman Jack Weiss and other members, praised the package at a news conference before the vote.

"We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

Villaraigosa dismissed questions about whether the ammunition restrictions would have a practical effect since buyers could simply purchase the bullets over the Internet or in cities where the laws do not apply.

"Part of what we're doing here is leading the way," Villaraigosa said, stating that the measures are another tool to fight gun violence and that he hoped other cities and President-elect Barack Obama's administration would follow suit. "This is the most far-reaching effort of any big city in the country. . . . This isn't about symbolism; it's about results."

Post imported post

Any rifle worth owning can take out a vehicle engine or shred standard ballistic armor. Duh. They just learned this? This proposed law would make large game hunters and collectors into'ganstas,' and LA will not be any safer for it. If more laws and restrictions were the answer, then California would already be about the safest place on Earth. Besides, any criminal who can afford a 50BMG firearm can afford to go out of state to get the ammo for it.

-ljp

Post imported post

Looks like folks in LA better drive out to AZ and stop in the Glendale Cabellas to pick up some reloading supplies.

But seriously, some one should ask that jack ass when the last time was that they had a problem with a liquor store being knocked over with an M82A1.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

State Researcher

Post imported post

When I was in SoCal I was so afraid of the gangstas with the big .50 BMG rifles hidden in those baggy jeans of theirs. I mean, heck concealing a 30 pound rifle is no problem when it is as tall as some gang bangers right?

Post imported post

These are the same type of people who will talk about the "heat seeking rounds" fired by a .50.

What was the name of that woman anyway? What an idiot.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    I first learned that Smith & Wesson had started production of the .500 through a police officer I was talking to one day.Â* His exact words in describing this handgun to me was "cop killer".Â* He said it would penetrate the vests like a hot knife through butter.

So, having said the above, it does not surprise me to see the Los Angeles police chiefÂ* was behind drafting this new legislation.

Â*Â*Chief Bratton says:
    Los Angeles Police Chief William J. BrattonÂ*Â* "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.
    In the spirit of the Second Amendment, I say that we citizens MUST have access to anything our own government has access to.

Now, I don't think I'll ever be strolling around town with a .50 cal rifle, but you bet your tail I'll get behind one in the name of the country our founding fathers fought for.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    I first learned that Smith & Wesson had started production of the .500 through a police officer I was talking to one day. His exact words in describing this handgun to me was "cop killer". He said it would penetrate the vests like a hot knife through butter.

So, having said the above, it does not surprise me to see the Los Angeles police chief was behind drafting this new legislation.

Chief Bratton says:
    Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.
    But Chief,

The whole reason for the 2nd A is to put the means to overthrow a tyrannical government, including the police and military in the hands of the citizen. The problem is you think you should be better armed than the citizen, but the Constitution says otherwise.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Does anyone else hear Don Quixote and his The Donkey's hoof beats approaching?

Clip clip clop clip clip cop

Post imported post

I'll be guarding my windmills with my patsy .30-cal rifle. Thanks for the heads-up, doug.

-ljp

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

So, what's the purpose of banning ammunition for a rifle that is already banned?

Post imported post

The .50 (.510) DTC is legal in California anyway. The .50 BMG ban is a joke.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

There is .50 caliber pistol ammunition and there are pistols (and pistoleros and pistoleras) that shoot .50 BMG and they are not the same.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    There is .50 caliber pistol ammunition and there are pistols (and pistoleros and pistoleras) that shoot .50 BMG and they are not the same.
    Correct.

But I don't think this new law draws that distinction.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

So is it just the ammunition? Meaning residents merely have to buy their ammo out-of-county?

Either way, this law is probably in conflict with state preemption. SF hasn't had very much luck with their attempts at silly gun prohibition.

Post imported post

I'll say it once again. I will buy a gun from any major firearms manufacturer or ammo from any major ammo manufacturer that follows Barrett's example and tells CA, especially CA LE, to GFT and refuse to sell any weapons or ammo to CA LE or any CA state agency.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Another reason: Law enforcement and military are awesome, and God bless them, but they are not immortal.

Post imported post

coachl wrote:
    "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.
    It makes sense that these purveyors of fantasy would use a fictional monster in an attempt to get their point across.

I've got news for this guy. Godzilla's stillalive, at least on my DVD he is , and in the latest movie there's ten monsters worldwide.

As I remember, godzillarepresents themonsters (Winston Churchill referred to "a monstrous tyranny never surpased"for instance)created by mankind. These gun grabbing government parasites seem to have a tough time understanding that part

Post imported post

The proposed law specifically bans .50 cal and over for both rifles and handguns.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...ty_12-1-08.pdf

For those that asked, the .50 cal weapons are already prohibited. LA Muni Code Section 55.18 covers that, and California state law (Penal code section 12280) specifically prohibits the .50 BMG.

I'm glad I don't live in California.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Correct.

But I don't think this new law draws that distinction.

Regards
    That's the impression I am getting too, I suspect Bratton held up a 50 caliber rifle cartridge for shock value, but wants all 50 caliber ammo banned. It's not real hard to deceive lawmakers who know little about guns and ammunition.
    I am sure you are correct. That avatar over there on the left is a .500 S&W Magnum. The cartridges are about the size of a Vienna sausage, but by no means as long and fat as a finger. A fifty Alaskan is not that long either. So based on the description in the article it would almost have to be a .50 BMG.

I am still waiting for the ban on bullets based on their heavy metals content on environmental hazard grounds.

Regards

Regards

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

I am still waiting for the ban on bullets based on their heavy metals content on environmental hazard grounds.
    You don't have long to wait, lead bullets are banned in most of California now. But only until all the condors are dead. :P