• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banning Ammunition

coachl

imported post

Read down towards the end of the article about wanting to lead the way. If they start on one kind of

ammo how long will it be before another is banned? The assaults are coming on our rights starting with the constitutional convention I talked about 2 months ago ! wake up AMERICA

L.A. council tightens gun, ammunition laws The move is intended to help reduce the city's gun and gang violence, but an NRA lawyer says a lawsuit is likely. By Maeve Reston
December 18, 2008 The Los Angeles City Council approved a package of gun control laws Wednesday, placing new requirements on ammunition sellers and banning the sale of military-style ammunition in the hopes of further reducing the city's gun and gang violence.

The measures ban the sale of .50-caliber ammunition, capable of penetrating a car's engine, and would require the city's ammunition vendors to be licensed, to sell ammunition face-to-face instead of over the Internet and require gun dealers to report a full accounting of their inventory twice a year to the Police Department.

The council passed laws prohibiting the installation of secret compartments for guns in cars and allowing the city to permanently seize vehicles used by certain gang members during a crime, which was proposed by City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo.

The council also approved an ordinance that would allow landlords to evict tenants who are convicted of illegally possessing weapons or ammunition within 1,000 feet of the rental property.

A lawyer for the National Rifle Assn. said his client probably would file suit to block some of the measures.

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton and Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who helped develop the ordinances with Councilman Jack Weiss and other members, praised the package at a news conference before the vote.

"We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

Villaraigosa dismissed questions about whether the ammunition restrictions would have a practical effect since buyers could simply purchase the bullets over the Internet or in cities where the laws do not apply.

"Part of what we're doing here is leading the way," Villaraigosa said, stating that the measures are another tool to fight gun violence and that he hoped other cities and President-elect Barack Obama's administration would follow suit. "This is the most far-reaching effort of any big city in the country. . . . This isn't about symbolism; it's about results."

Legba

imported post

Any rifle worth owning can take out a vehicle engine or shred standard ballistic armor. Duh. They just learned this? This proposed law would make large game hunters and collectors into'ganstas,' and LA will not be any safer for it. If more laws and restrictions were the answer, then California would already be about the safest place on Earth. Besides, any criminal who can afford a 50BMG firearm can afford to go out of state to get the ammo for it.

-ljp

Michigander

imported post

Looks like folks in LA better drive out to AZ and stop in the Glendale Cabellas to pick up some reloading supplies. :cool:

But seriously, some one should ask that jack ass when the last time was that they had a problem with a liquor store being knocked over with an M82A1.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

When I was in SoCal I was so afraid of the gangstas with the big .50 BMG rifles hidden in those baggy jeans of theirs. I mean, heck concealing a 30 pound rifle is no problem when it is as tall as some gang bangers right?

Gordie

imported post

These are the same type of people who will talk about the "heat seeking rounds" fired by a .50.

What was the name of that woman anyway? What an idiot.

Sheriff

imported post

I first learned that Smith & Wesson had started production of the .500 through a police officer I was talking to one day. His exact words in describing this handgun to me was "cop killer". He said it would penetrate the vests like a hot knife through butter.

So, having said the above, it does not surprise me to see the Los Angeles police chief was behind drafting this new legislation.

Chief Bratton says:
Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I first learned that Smith & Wesson had started production of the .500 through a police officer I was talking to one day.  His exact words in describing this handgun to me was "cop killer".  He said it would penetrate the vests like a hot knife through butter.

So, having said the above, it does not surprise me to see the Los Angeles police chief  was behind drafting this new legislation.

Chief Bratton says:
Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton   "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

In the spirit of the Second Amendment, I say that we citizens MUST have access to anything our own government has access to.

Now, I don't think I'll ever be strolling around town with a .50 cal rifle, but you bet your tail I'll get behind one in the name of the country our founding fathers fought for.

Thundar

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I first learned that Smith & Wesson had started production of the .500 through a police officer I was talking to one day. His exact words in describing this handgun to me was "cop killer". He said it would penetrate the vests like a hot knife through butter.

So, having said the above, it does not surprise me to see the Los Angeles police chief was behind drafting this new legislation.

Chief Bratton says:
Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton "We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

But Chief,

The whole reason for the 2nd A is to put the means to overthrow a tyrannical government, including the police and military in the hands of the citizen. The problem is you think you should be better armed than the citizen, but the Constitution says otherwise.

Sheriff

imported post

Thundar wrote:
But Chief,

The whole reason for the 2nd A is to put the means to overthrow a tyrannical government, including the police and military in the hands of the citizen. The problem is you think you should be better armed than the citizen, but the Constitution says otherwise.

Yeah, exactly. That is why I highlighted a certain portion of Bratton's remark in red. The old goose and gander theory.

Sheriff

imported post

Chief Bratton says:
ps - Sadly enough, whenever anybody says anything like Bratton said above in the red font, Obama and his staff are going to be standingbehind with smiles on their face and giving 'em a high five! :banghead:

Legba

imported post

I'll be guarding my windmills with my patsy .30-cal rifle. Thanks for the heads-up, doug.

-ljp

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So is it just the ammunition? Meaning residents merely have to buy their ammo out-of-county?

Either way, this law is probably in conflict with state preemption. SF hasn't had very much luck with their attempts at silly gun prohibition.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll say it once again. I will buy a gun from any major firearms manufacturer or ammo from any major ammo manufacturer that follows Barrett's example and tells CA, especially CA LE, to GFT and refuse to sell any weapons or ammo to CA LE or any CA state agency.

Sheriff

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
There is .50 caliber pistol ammunition and there are pistols (and pistoleros and pistoleras) that shoot .50 BMG and they are not the same.

Correct.

But I don't think this new law draws that distinction.

Regards
That's the impression I am getting too, I suspect Bratton held up a 50 caliber rifle cartridge for shock value, but wants all 50 caliber ammo banned. It's not real hard to deceive lawmakers who know little about guns and ammunition.