• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banning Ammunition

Pamiam

imported post

Another reason: Law enforcement and military are awesome, and God bless them, but they are not immortal.

learntools_s.jpg

Toymaker

imported post

coachl wrote:
"We use this to stop a vehicle," Bratton said, holding up a .50-caliber bullet longer and thicker than a finger. "Unless you are out trying to kill Godzilla, and I think the last time we saw Godzilla was in the 1950s, there is no need for this type of weapon" unless it is in the hands of the military or law enforcement, he said.

It makes sense that these purveyors of fantasy would use a fictional monster in an attempt to get their point across.

I've got news for this guy. Godzilla's stillalive, at least on my DVD he is :lol:, and in the latest movie there's ten monsters worldwide. :uhoh:

As I remember, godzillarepresents themonsters (Winston Churchill referred to "a monstrous tyranny never surpased"for instance)created by mankind. These gun grabbing government parasites seem to have a tough time understanding that part;)

Dom

imported post

The proposed law specifically bans .50 cal and over for both rifles and handguns.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2008/08-1406_rpt_atty_12-1-08.pdf

For those that asked, the .50 cal weapons are already prohibited. LA Muni Code Section 55.18 covers that, and California state law (Penal code section 12280) specifically prohibits the .50 BMG.

I'm glad I don't live in California.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
There is .50 caliber pistol ammunition and there are pistols (and pistoleros and pistoleras) that shoot .50 BMG and they are not the same.

Correct.

But I don't think this new law draws that distinction.

Regards
That's the impression I am getting too, I suspect Bratton held up a 50 caliber rifle cartridge for shock value, but wants all 50 caliber ammo banned. It's not real hard to deceive lawmakers who know little about guns and ammunition.
I am sure you are correct. That avatar over there on the left is a .500 S&W Magnum. The cartridges are about the size of a Vienna sausage, but by no means as long and fat as a finger. A fifty Alaskan is not that long either. So based on the description in the article it would almost have to be a .50 BMG.

I am still waiting for the ban on bullets based on their heavy metals content on environmental hazard grounds.

Regards

Regards

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I am still waiting for the ban on bullets based on their heavy metals content on environmental hazard grounds.

You don't have long to wait, lead bullets are banned in most of California now. But only until all the condors are dead. :p