• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry / CCW for non CO residents

Mahan0331

imported post

I am from AZ but venture through CO from time to time and I need to get my facts in order. From what I understand in CO you can:

~Open carry anywhere except-

Private property/establishments w/ posted no carry signs orif asked to leave

Establishments that serve alcohol regardless if it is posted no carry or not

All municipal buildings/parks/ect.

~Can have a “loaded” sidearm in your vehicle-

Obviously this means pistols, no Rifles or shotguns (must have empty chamber, no mag inserted / mag tube empty

Now whats the deal w/ Denver? Is there some law that says you can’t carry in the city limits? And if so why doesn’t this apply:

29-11.7-103 - A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm[/b] that a person may lawfully sell, purchase or possess under state law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

Being a 2x Combat Vet and having taken the AZ[/b] and UT/NV[/b] CCW classes I know the lawful and unlawful circumstances for using deadly force, and as far as I know its exactly the same for the states that recognize these CCW’s (or anywhere in the U.S.)
Is there some other “rule” that CO has pertaining to the use of deadly force that I may not be aware of?

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Flyer22

imported post

Denver--after the law that you cited was passed, Denver went to court and won a grandfather exemption for their anti-OC ordinance. That's the only reason they can ban OC.

Alcohol--the only applicablelaw says that you can't be intoxicated while carrying.

Vehicle--ahandgun in a vehicle is not considered to be concealed. Realistically, this means that you can carry concealed in a vehicle without having a concealed carry permit.

As for the rest of your questions, go to this thread and see my post about half-way down.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/17649.html

jayspapa

imported post

Flyer22 .. OK I am from Ill. If I am carrying IWB in the car and I get pulled over for some reason , do I have to notify the officer?? Also being I do carry IWB is haveing just the handle of my pistol sticking above the waistband of my pants enough to meet the requirement of open carry should I get out to buy gas or something to eat ??

Thanks for any info.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Jay,

There is no law requiring you to notify the police in a traffic stop.

There is no valid description that outline exactly what "Concealed" is in Colorado.

IWB carry with the grip showing may be construed as either CC or OC; depends on the opinion of the police on scene.

IANAL and Colorado laws are pretty relaxed compared to most.

Hopefully this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mahan and Jay, welcome to the forums!!!

Gunslinger

imported post

Just one caveat--if you are carrying concealed in a car and a cop tells you to get out, tell him about the gun immediately. And unconceal it if you get out for any other reason. BTW, AZ or UT CCW is valid in CO if you have one, so don't worry about anything. Deadly force law in CO mirrors most enlightened states--including the Castle Law.

Anubis

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
AZ or UT CCW is valid in CO if you have one, so don't worry about anything.
Mahan0331 wrote that he is from AZ, so only an AZ permit would work for him in CO.

If either jayspapa from ILor Mahan0331 has a permit such asUT or FL, that would not be recognized in CO.

Since mid 2007, CO recognizes permits from a reciprocal state only for residents of that state.

Izod

imported post

Just curious why you suggest to "unconceal if you get out for any other reason."? As far as I know, there is no requirement to do so. Especially if I'm in the presence of an LEO, I wouldn't go anywhere near touching my weapon even to "unconceal." If I was going to do so, I would announce my intentions and get a response before doing anything with the weapon.

As far as informing an LEO if he asks you to get out of the vehicle...that's certainly polite and but not required either.

jayspapa

imported post

Nooooo I wouldn't think of touching my gun in the presence of a police offficer unless directed to do so and then I would be very cautious. My main concern was since I carry IWB would just haveing the grip of my 1911 style Kimber sticking above my waist band be enough to meet the qualifications for open carry should I get out of my car to eat or for gas .

Also I know that Denver seems to be anti-gun and since I would have to travel through that area ( I-70 to I-25 ) , as long as I stayed on the interstate should I be ok as long as I don't stop there.

Hopefully soon we will have a LTC here in Illinois and I won't have to worry so much about these things.

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Flyer22

imported post

Izod wrote:
Just curious why you suggest to "unconceal if you get out for any other reason."? As far as I know, there is no requirement to do so. Especially if I'm in the presence of an LEO, I wouldn't go anywhere near touching my weapon even to "unconceal." If I was going to do so, I would announce my intentions and get a response before doing anything with the weapon.

As far as informing an LEO if he asks you to get out of the vehicle...that's certainly polite and but not required either.

Well, if you don't have a CC permit, and your gun is concealed--the instant you step out of the car, you're breaking the law.

Jayspapa, my personal opinion is that outside of the Denver metro area, IWB should be just fine. I don't carry like that, so I can't say for sure. But most non-Denver area police are pretty relaxed.

Gunslinger

imported post

Izod wrote:

If you leave your car in CO without a valid CCW and a concealed weapon, you violate the concealed carry law. While you can carry open in most CO locations, you cannot leave your car or property carrying concealed without a CCW.

FogRider

imported post

Just to to make it extra clear, without a CWP you cannot carry outside of your vehicle in Denver. The only legal mode of carry is concealed with a permit. You should be good inside your vehicle as vehicle carry is unrestricted. This is great for me as I don't have a CWP at the moment (if you ever have the chance to lose your permit in the woods, don't. So not worth it), but I can legally drive through Denver on my way to the mountains.

Evil Ernie

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Just to to make it extra clear, without a CWP you cannot carry outside of your vehicle in Denver. The only legal mode of carry is concealed with a permit. You should be good inside your vehicle as vehicle carry is unrestricted. This is great for me as I don't have a CWP at the moment (if you ever have the chance to lose your permit in the woods, don't. So not worth it), but I can legally drive through Denver on my way to the mountains.
Ok Fog, you let onto the backstory, so out with it. I wanna hear how you lost it in the woods...

FogRider

imported post

Nothing dramatic, just me being a 'tard. Wallet goes in backpack pocket, pocket remains unzipped, wallet comes out of backpack pocket somewhere in the woods above Gunnison.