• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daley to hold gun conference, conduct search for Duncan successor

Equinox

imported post

"Mayor Richard Daley said today that Chicago will host a "gun conference" next month to look for ways to beef up gun laws and get guns off the streets.
The mayor said he would bring in leaders from across the country and people who have lost loved ones to gun violence. He said the attendees plan to review recent Supreme Court decisions that limited how cities can regulate guns.
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2008/12/daley-to-hold-g.html

darthmord

imported post

The only regulation of guns I want to see is legislation requiring every able bodied man & woman of legal age to own at least 1 usable / serviceable firearm and to obtain training with it and to have the costs of said training be tax deductible.

Legba

imported post

Somehow I doubt there will be any gun industry "leaders" in attendance.

-ljp

Thundar

imported post

Mayor Richard Daley to hold a Civil Rights Abuse conference to determine just how abusive we can be towards the human rights of our citizens.

opusd2

imported post

Or Bob Crane, Phil Hartmann, the list goes on...

I have an idea, and I know it sounds crazy. How about going through the slums and hoods and emptying their cache's of weapons? How about taking down a drug dealer or two?

I know, it would put the police officers at risk so perhaps just disarming the law abiding citizens would be much easier.

Ok, here's one more suggestion; the mayor can appoint a special task force consisting of all the bodyguards protecting him and other political figures including a neighboring Governor Doyle's group of heavies and perhaps Obama's secret service thugs and THEY can go out to the bad areas of town and disarm the gangs and illegally owned "assault weapons".

To me this just makes more sense.