• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blue Trails Range

robo44

imported post

Hi guys. New to the forum. I recently moved here from NJ and am in the process of getting my temporary permit. I have a question on a slightly different topic. I have a new hunting rifle (Browning X-Bolt in .300 WM) that I need to sight in and also practice with. I'm doing 3 hunts out west next year (Elk, Bear and Desert Mule Deer in AZ). The guy at Cabelas recommended Blue Trails. I understand they were closed for a while but they have the 100 yard range reopened. I was looking for comments etc on the range from folks who have used it. Can I shoot multiple distances (i.e 25 and 100 yards) at the same spot? I'm also looking for a range that offers longer distances so any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys. BTW I live in Southbury and just retired from the USMC after 20 long years.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

This won't answer your question but there is an indoor range in Torrington that you can shoot rifle in. Max is 75 feet but you can easily site in at that distance. 25 meters is the standard zero range distance for the Army's M-16 and M-4. There is one member on here that has permission to shoot at the O&G Quarry in Southbury or was it Woodbury? Maybe you can try that?

LKB3rd

imported post

Blue trail at the current time allows centerfire rifles at 50 and 100 yards, from the same station. They have a 200 yard range, but last I knew it was closed. All open stations have baffles that only allow for firing from a rest off of the shooting table. They used to be high enough that you could barely shoot offhand seated, if you slumped down a little bit, but after they closed and re-opened the baffles have been lowered.
New Haven Sportsmen's club is taking applications for new members right now. They have an indoor handgun range, 50, 100 and 200 yard outdoor ranges. They are in North Guilford right across from the boat ramp at Lake Quonnipaug, and have an open ($6) breakfast every Sunday from 8-10am where you can talk to their new membership guy.