• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Clemson student arrested on [campus] gun charge' TheState.com Breaking news

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/625331.html
News - Breaking News Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008
A Clemson University student was arrested for having a gun in his car on campus, the university is reporting.

The student, a junior who lives in Central, was charged Wednesday with carrying a firearm on university property.

Police said they found a handgun in the glove compartment of his car during a Nov. 19 traffic stop. State law prohibits concealed weapons on college campuses.

He was released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20081205/NEWS01/812050329/1001/NEWS01

CLEMSON BUREAU • December 5, 2008
CLEMSON -- A Clemson University student has been arrested and charged with having a gun in the glove compartment of his car on campus. Advertisement

Levar M. Jackson, 30, of 980 Blacksburg Highway, Blacksburg, is charged with carrying a firearm on university property, according to a warrant.

Jackson, who was arrested Wednesday, is a Clemson junior and has a student residence in Central, said Clemson spokesman John Gouch.

According to the warrant, a .380-caliber pistol was found in the glove compartment of a car when a suspect was taken into custody for traffic violations on Nov. 19.

A liquor bottle half-filled with gasoline also was found in an inventory of contents of the car, according to the warrant.

The student said his car had run out of gas, said Clemson University Police Chief Johnson Link.

Jackson was released on $5,000 personal recognizance bond, according to university information. No information was available late Thursday on any university sanctions, Gouch said.

PT111

imported post

I think there may be more to this story than what is being reported. A gun in your glove box is not considered a concealed weapon in SC and is legal to have with or without a permit. Second if he was on the public roads even if it was on campus it is still not illegal to have a gun so both of those charges are bogus.

They searched his car and found half of a liquor bottle of gasoline. If he had run out of gas and only used half of the bottle to get his car cranked and to thwe gas station it must have been a big bottle. It also says that they found it when he was taken into custody. Police in SC normally do not take someone into custody for a traffic violation. It just sounds like much more to this story.

PT111

imported post

Yes this does get strange. Pine St. is not on campus.

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2008/dec/06/student-arrested-firearm-and-ammo-campus/
CLEMSON — A Central man was arrested on Thursday and charged with carrying a firearm on university property, according to the incident report.

Levar Jackson, 30, of 102 Crosscreek Road in Central, was taken into custody after university officers stopped him on Pine Street for violating several traffic laws, the report said.

Jackson was operating an uninsured vehicle, the report said.

Jackson was then placed under arrest for operating the uninsured vehicle and for one count of not using a turn signal. He was also cited for not wearing a seat belt.

Upon taking inventory of Jackson’s car after it was towed, a .380 pistol was found in the dash after locating a full magazine, two ammo boxes and a shoulder holster spread across the middle of the driver’s seat. An open liquor bottle filled with gasoline was also discovered, the report said.

Jackson was released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.

Brimstone

imported post

Things have sure changed. I graduated from Clemson in 1991. When I was there and living in Johnstone Dorm., a good friend of mine saw a skunk walking down the street in front of his dorm room. He opened his window and shot the skunk witha 12ga. Now my buddy was an idiot and he made the entire dorm stink for a few days, but he only received a small fine and a stern talking to by a pissed off campus police department. They didn't even take his gun. He was just told to take it off campus. :lol:

340mopar

imported post

I was there in 91 as well.... I wonder what he did to get away with that then. Those cops were a bunch on assess, even in 91. I know they got tougher around 96 or so

Lame Wolf

imported post

Clemson University Police Officers are Group I State Constables commissioned by the Governor. They have Primary Jurisdiction on all campus land in the state. They have Concurrent Jurisdiction for five radius miles of Tillman Hall on Campus. Also, they have agency jurisdiction at specific other times. At any other time or place within SC, they have the same authority as a Group III (Volunteer) Constable. Exigent circumstances.