• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal gun owner kills would be mugger in Terrell

Miracle

imported post

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Dog Walker Kills Armed Teen Robber, Police Say
Last Edited: Thursday, 18 Dec 2008, 1:48 PM CST Created: Thursday, 18 Dec 2008, 10:18 AM CST
photo_servlet
Ryan Scott Patterson, 17, is charged with aggravated robbery.
Detail
(function() { try { var td, img, p; if (document && document.getElementById) { td = document.getElementById('story_image'); if (td && td.getElementsByTagName) { img = td.getElementsByTagName('img')[0]; } if (img) { p = img.style.paddingLeft; img.onload = function() { img.style.paddingLeft = '1px'; setTimeout(function() { img.style.paddingLeft = p; img.onload = null; }, 0) } } } } catch (e) { } })(); SideBar
Related ItemsLinks Know Faster with E-mail Alerts
A man walking his dog in Terrell on Wednesday fatally shot an armed 17-year-old robber, police said.

The incident happened at about 10:20 p.m. in Ben Gill Park in the 100 block of Lions Club Lane where, police said, a group of teen robbers surrounded the man.

According to investigators, Markee Lamar Johnson pulled out a gun and the 47-year-old man, a licensed concealed handgun owner, fired shots.

The 17-year-old Terrell High School student was struck in the head and died at Parkland Hospital. His weapon was recovered at the scene and later determined to be stolen during a separate offense in Terrell, according to police.

Police said they would not likely file charges against the man.

"I think in this particular situation, it would be a clear example of someone exercising their rights to protect themselves under the law," Capt. A.D. Sanson said.

Three other teen suspects fled the scene in a vehicle that was recovered in the 300 block of S. Park Street, police said.

Police identified the the other suspects and arrested one of them. Ryan Scott Patterson, 17, is charged with aggravated robbery.

The robbery victim, who did not want to be identified, was not injured.

Miracle

imported post

stupid kids. Hopefully the ones who didn't get shot have had the fear of Smith and Wesson put into them.

anLS1x2

imported post

It's definitely a horrible situation but this is exactly why us honest law abiding citizens need to arm ourselves. I wonder what would have happened if the dog walker would not have had a concealed weapon? Chances are the kid would not have fire his gun, just used it as a scare tactic. But WHO KNOWS!! Well lets hope this sends a broad statement to all of those would be burglar/gangster types to think twice before trying to mug someone!

Miracle

imported post

anLS1x2 wrote:
It's definitely a horrible situation but this is exactly why us honest law abiding citizens need to arm ourselves. I wonder what would have happened if the dog walker would not have had a concealed weapon? Chances are the kid would not have fire his gun, just used it as a scare tactic. But WHO KNOWS!! Well lets hope this sends a broad statement to all of those would be burglar/gangster types to think twice before trying to mug someone!

The gun the kid had has already been linked to a previous crime. Statistics show that many criminals tend to escalate their violence as they progress with their behaviors. It might not have been the dog walker, but that kid was going to kill someone at some point. It was simply a matter of time.

My condolences to the child's family for their pain, but the dog walker probably spared a family the future pain of having someone they love killed by this punk.

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

THis is truly a sad case of kids not being correctly raised. I was a bad kid myself but the military straigtened me out before I ever got to the point of jail or in this kids case of no return. I do feel for the family of this kid if they did every thing that they could have done to raise him to be a productive man to society.

I feel more to the man that had to shoot the 17 yr old. He will have to relive that moment every day of his life and I am sure that nightmares will haunt him as well. So really who loses the most here. The kid loses his life in the sense of breathing but this man loses his life reliving this over and over.

I think that props should be given to the Police Department for not taking action against this man and I hope that no civil suit is brought.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mrrga25 wrote:
...I feel more to the man that had to shoot the 17 yr old. He will have to relive that moment every day of his life and I am sure that nightmares will haunt him as well. So really who loses the most here. The kid loses his life in the sense of breathing but this man loses his life reliving this over and over...

Why would this man have nightmares? If anything, I'd think he feels proud that he was able to protect himself without getting injured or harmed in anyway. He was defending himself and he wasn't in the wrong. Excuse the ignorance, if there is any. I've never had to pull my gun on someone but I just don't think I would have problems shooting someone in that scenario. I could be very wrong.

Miracle

imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
mrrga25 wrote:
...I feel more to the man that had to shoot the 17 yr old. He will have to relive that moment every day of his life and I am sure that nightmares will haunt him as well. So really who loses the most here. The kid loses his life in the sense of breathing but this man loses his life reliving this over and over...

Why would this man have nightmares? If anything, I'd think he feels proud that he was able to protect himself without getting injured or harmed in anyway. He was defending himself and he wasn't in the wrong. Excuse the ignorance, if there is any. I've never had to pull my gun on someone but I just don't think I would have problems shooting someone in that scenario. I could be very wrong.
Some people can not kill so easily, even if they have a reason. This was a child after all...not some crazed maniac. Just a stupid, stupid child. My heart would certainly be broken for the senselessness of it all and I would be worried about his family - even if I knew I was in the right.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Miracle wrote:
Some people can not kill so easily, even if they have a reason. This was a child after all...not some crazed maniac. Just a stupid, stupid child. My heart would certainly be broken for the senselessness of it all and I would be worried about his family - even if I knew I was in the right.

I understand the argument of taking someones life regardless of the reason and being affected. But, by no means do I consider this 17 year old a child. It wasn't too long ago that I was 17, I'm 23 now.

It was a good thing this happened now instead of years down the road after he would have probably hurt a lot of people. The sad thing is that his family is probably crying now, but where the hell were they when he needed guidance growing up?

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Miracle wrote:
This was a child after all...not some crazed maniac. Just a stupid, stupid child. My heart would certainly be broken for the senselessness of it all and I would be worried about his family - even if I knew I was in the right.
Not a crazed maniac? Taking up a weapon with your friends to attack/rob another individual isn't the work of a maniac? A stupid, stupid child yes but definately old enough to know better. This is the problem with society, not putting the blame and responsibility where it belongs, on the person committing the offense. The blame isn't his parents, or his environment it was his decision. Too manypeople in this world came from abusive parents in the slums and decided to work themselves out of a bad situation and become very successful. I was 17 at one time and not once did the meer thought of showing aggression towards another come into my mind letalone act upon it. He made a choice and has paid for that choice. How many people has this one guy saved by defending himself, and maybe those friends will think twice before doing such a thing again.

Miracle

imported post

GumiBear wrote:
Miracle wrote:
This was a child after all...not some crazed maniac. Just a stupid, stupid child. My heart would certainly be broken for the senselessness of it all and I would be worried about his family - even if I knew I was in the right.
Not a crazed maniac? Taking up a weapon with your friends to attack/rob another individual isn't the work of a maniac? A stupid, stupid child yes but definately old enough to know better. This is the problem with society, not putting the blame and responsibility where it belongs, on the person committing the offense. The blame isn't his parents, or his environment it was his decision. Too manypeople in this world came from abusive parents in the slums and decided to work themselves out of a bad situation and become very successful. I was 17 at one time and not once did the meer thought of showing aggression towards another come into my mind letalone act upon it. He made a choice and has paid for that choice. How many people has this one guy saved by defending himself, and maybe those friends will think twice before doing such a thing again.
I do know the stupid, stupid child is old enough to know better...but I feel there is a decided difference between a teenager and an adult. A man of 40 is by all accounts considerably different than a kid of 17.

I do not think the boy who was shot deserved to NOT get shot simply because he was a teenager..I am just saying the man who did the shooting may feel in his heart some sadness over the incident.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Miracle wrote:
..I am just saying the man who did the shooting may feel in his heart some sadness over the incident.

I really hope he doesn't. He did a great thing. He probably saved many lives and property lose by doing so. He is a hero in my book.

UtahRSO

imported post

I think a normal person would feel very badly about having to take someone's life, 17 years old or 40.

I've never been faced with that situation. I'm sure right now I would shoot, but I'm pretty sure I could never just pass it off.

Miracle

imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
Miracle wrote:
..I am just saying the man who did the shooting may feel in his heart some sadness over the incident.

I really hope he doesn't. He did a great thing. He probably saved many lives and property lose by doing so. He is a hero in my book.

And mine. Doubtless that kid would turn out to be a very bad adult.

A real hero probably does feel some sadness though. It's what separates heroes from bad guys. Compassion is a wonderful thing.

imported post

Good bad indifferent, when you look them in the eye and pull the trigger, it stays with you. If you have a soul it does.

Would that stop me from shooting a stupid kid with a gun, that was a threat?

Not for a moment.

He chose his way.

When I was 17 and a couple of friends wanted my help knocking over a gas station, I made my choice.

If I had chosen to go with those idiots, I could have ended up dead.

It would have served me right.

A 17 year old can kill you just as dead as a 40 year old.

I wouldn't hesitate to stop a threat, 40 or 17.

I still wouldn't feel good about it.

keeping up with it

imported post

If it's not bad enough in Terrell Texas today 12-23-2009 the would be robbers
memorial service is being held in the local high school using tax payer money to memorialize a THUG . BEWARE STAY AWAY FROM OUR CORRUPT CITY

forever_frost

imported post

That's amazing. And he'll probably have his face on teh cover of the yearbook. In highschool, we had this idiot who got drunk and rode his motorcycle into a tree at 70 and somehow, it got done up where he was the victim and was memorialized in the yearbook and how tragic it was when a "good boy" dies "needlessly." Meanwhile, a friend of mine died from pnemonia and nothing was ever said.

Watch, they'll gloss over him holding the man up and say it was a needless death and he's the victim of gun violence.

ironclad

Opt-Out Members
imported post

mrrga25 wrote:
I think that props should be given to the Police Department for not taking action against this man and I hope that no civil suit is brought.

"Props to the Terrell PD, for NOT "taking action" against this man"... I AGREE !!

I live in Dallas County. Our District Attorney and our local police departments have a standing procedure... ANYONE and EVERYONE who fires their gun in self-defense goes to the Grand Jury!!With fees, bail bonds, lawyers fees, etc etc ... you are looking at a minimum of Five Thousand Dollars!! That's an expensive bullet!!

Why do they do this? The local officers can completely avoid having to make a decision, out in the field. The local officers can be protected from any future litigation, and it's a waste of time since the huge majority of juries always exhonerate the citizen, but...this stupid procedure puts a HUGE EXPENSIVE STINK on the back of the poor innocent citizen... here in Dallas County.