• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Area LEO Ammunition

00 Buck

imported post

Been lurking around for a while here, had an account but have forgetten both the user id and the email address I used to register with.

On to the topic.

Do any law enforcement agencies around the triangle carry .45ACP (or the state for that matter) and if so, what ammunition do they carry in them?

If anyone has a list of law enforcement agencies, the firearms they use and which ammo they use, I'd really appreciate it.

More of a curiosity thing than anything. If the (relativity) cheap JHP's I use don't stop them in 1 shot, I'll just have to use 2.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Law Enforcement Officials carry whatever they personally choose to and are comfortable with. There isn't a mandate that says they have to carry a certain caliber or a certain gun type or a certain brand of ammo. Of course there are recommendations for them, but nothing that is mandatory. As far as types of ammo supplied to them by their department, that will vary from department to department.

I carry 9mm Winchester jacketed hollow points. I love this ammo. It is inexpensive and it has never once misfired or caused any sort of problem for me.

If those do not stop a man dead in his tracks, I don't have anything on me that will.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I know if at least oneNC PD (Morehead City) that carries .45 ACP S&W M&Ps. That's what they're all issued now. I'm not sure what type of rounds they're using, but I suppose I could ask next time I run into one.

Anyway, some departments (a lot actually, if not all) have requirements when it comes to what their LEO's carry while on duty. Sometimes it's a caliber restriction, sometimes it's a matter of you carry what you're issued, and that's that.

RayBurton72

imported post

Greensboro PD issues .40 SIG (don't remember which P## it is...). Officers are required to carry that weapon for at least two years, at which point they are eligible for special duty assignments, at which point they may provide their own weapon for approval and certification on it.