• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Foreigner getting a Carry Permit in CT

00 Buck

imported post

So, my better half's family is from CT (currently living in Milford, CT)

I see online that CT does offer non resident permits, but does the state actually give them out or does it find ways to deny people?

Or would it be easier to get the CT legislature to recognize NC's permit (its a win win, NC does reciprocity with states that recognize ours)

GoldCoaster

imported post

00 Buck wrote:
So, my better half's family is from CT (currently living in Milford, CT)

I see online that CT does offer non resident permits, but does the state actually give them out or does it find ways to deny people?

Or would it be easier to get the CT legislature to recognize NC's permit (its a win win, NC does reciprocity with states that recognize ours)
Are you a foreigner per se or just an out of stater?

If you're a real foreigner but have a green card you can get a resident permit as long as you've been in the state for 90 days (with proof).

The state doesn't recognize any other states permits, if it did, we'd have more states honoring ours. As it is there are some that do honor it, and with the Utah permit there's 30+ of them so thats good.

If you're actually living in CT, and have been for 90 days you could get a resident permit.

I don't know how hard it is to get a non-resident permit but I think they all go through the SFLU in Middletown so hopefully you wouldn't be subject to the same runaround that a lot of us go trough with their town background checks.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

It's actually slightly easier for non-residents to get licenses than residents. You'll be fine.

Reciprocity or recognition of other state licenses? That's about as likely as the New York Legislature passing shall-issue carry.

30 cal slut

imported post

earlier this year the state police required a valid u.s. passport in order to obtain the permanent pistol permit.

this was not something spelled out in the statutes, but something they were insisting on, at least at the bridgeport troop.

so, that may be an issue. contact state police at bridgeport and see what they are requiring nowadays.

Tazman2

imported post

The town where I applied required (was on the requirements sheet before the actual app) me to bring I believe my passport and citizenship paperwork for them to copy on top of the usual drivers license, etc. But then again I've been here for over 20 years and have a 100% clean record! :D