• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Climate in Montgomery County

PatriotWarrior

imported post

Even though I had wanted to attend college in KY, I am now fairly sure that I will actually be going to college in AL, at Faulkner University in Montgomery. Does anyone here know how the county LEOs perceive OC?

On a slightly different note, I noticed in the Montgomery County Sheriff's Pistol Permit Brochure that they do not give CC permits to people under 21, their reason being that it is illegal for anyone under 21 to own a handgun (which we all know is not true; we under-21s simply cannot buy a handgun from an FFL--we can still buy from a private party). Do you think there's any chance of straightening them out on this subject? Problem is, they don't have an e-mail address on their website.Oh well.

Sincerely,PatriotWarrior

kurtmax_0

imported post

I too, suggest sending snail mail if you can't meet the Sheriff in person.

The age for pistol permits in Alabama is 18. While Alabama is a 'may issue' state, the Sheriff must have a valid reason to believe that the applicant should not own or possess a pistol.... nothing about reasonably believing the applicant should not carry a pistol.

You can probably find various threads about this in the Alabama forum, and some docs here: http://kurtbogle.com/guns/Permit/

I suggest talking to the Sheriff first, as a lawsuit would be expensive, and probably would take longer than waiting until you are 21.

PatriotWarrior

imported post

Thanks for the replies. SFCRetired, your information is very encouraging. I was not expecting such good news. I am now really excited about OCing in Montgomery and will be sure to give a holler.I will bein Montgomery in the fallof next year.Unfortunately, I will not be able to OC until Jan. 2010 as I won't turn 18 until then. :banghead:Hopefully, the sheriffwill see reason when it comesto the CC permit. As I plan to OC about everywhere,just about my only reason for getting the permit is for vehicle carry.Yes, kurtmax_0, I am in no position financially for a lawsuit. Again, thanks for the help. PatriotWarrior