• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WANTED: RUGER LCP

derrickonline

imported post

Looking to buy a Ruger LCP. I can't find them because of the recall. I'm looking for one to purchase whether it has been fixed under recall or not. I will have the recall repair done.

The gun must work (obviously) and be in ok or better condition.

410 - 660 - 7142

Call me!

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread

derrickonline

imported post

Thank you! Sold out at the first site...but the other site has some listed. They sure did jack the price up though.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Umm..ok, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but why in the world would someone want to go to the trouble to try to find a handgun that has been recalled??? On top of that, why not just get a Kel-Tec P3AT that is readily available from most gun dealers (and arguably a better gun)??

Springfield45

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Umm..ok, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but why in the world would someone want to go to the trouble to try to find a handgun that has been recalled??? On top of that, why not just get a Kel-Tec P3AT that is readily available from most gun dealers (and arguably a better gun)??
+1
I've had both, and the Kel-Tec IS arguably a better gun, and less expensive too ....

~~Springfield

curtm1911

imported post

Kel-Tec P-11 or PF-9, I prefer the P-11, because you DO NOT KNOW how many rounds it might require to STOP THE THREAT, and it would just ruin your day to run dry at the worst possible moment. Just my .02 cents worth...............

david.ross

imported post

Actually, no. The Ruger is better built even though they made a defect in the process. Get both guns side by side and strip them down, you'll see the Ruger is better. Also, hold the guns, you'll see the ruger feels better. The keltec has somewhat of sharp diamonds imprinted in to the grip, which I found uncomfortable.

Springfield45 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
+1
I've had both, and the Kel-Tec IS arguably a better gun, and less expensive too ....

~~Springfield

Legba

imported post

The Kel-Tec P3AT is certainly not readily available. I haven't seen one in any wholesaler's inventory for most of a year now. Not making enough to meet demand.

-ljp

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Actually, no. The Ruger is better built even though they made a defect in the process. Get both guns side by side and strip them down, you'll see the Ruger is better. Also, hold the guns, you'll see the ruger feels better. The keltec has somewhat of sharp diamonds imprinted in to the grip, which I found uncomfortable.

Springfield45 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
+1

~~Springfield

That diamond pattern grip may not feel nice and smooth on your soft hands, but that gun wont slip out without taking skin with it. :D As far as the quality of the individual parts side-by-side, I'd be very interested in the actual differences. Obviously Ruger did little more than blatantlycopy Kel-Tec's design, so I'm assuming the alleged difference is in the materials and machining, not the design. As far as the Ruger "feeling" better....well, I think a kitten feels better in my hands than a 1911 does....the only problem is that I can't find a decent kitten holster.

The Kel-Tec P3AT is certainly not readily available. I haven't seen one in any wholesaler's inventory for most of a year now. Not making enough to meet demand.
Choice A: Not readily available due to recall. Choice B: Not readily available due to extremely high demand. Boy, that's a toughy!!

derrickonline

imported post

Dre...I'm not trying to sound sarcastic either but I've done a lot of research on the Keltec and even considered it. But the number of failures were just too much for me.

What I did notice was that everyone that had these failures (lots of FTF, FTE etc) or pieces broke they simply wrote it off as "oh well Keltec fixed it for me". That's fine an good...but if I'm in a dark alley and someone decides to try and kill me for whatever credit cards I have in my wallet, I'm afraid mailing the gun back in because the rail/track needs to be fixed or replaced isn't going to suffice.

I don't have time for that. This handgun is for my concealed carry. I wanted something small. The Ruger has a better reputation IMO and although yes the gun was recalled because if you drop the gun it MIGHT fire....

A. I'd be scared to drop any loaded gun.

B. They recalled the gun for reasons other than FTF and FTE issues.

This means when the gun is fixed under recall it will work more reliably than the Keltec. I can't trust my life using a conceal carry Keltec over a Ruger. The number of issues I've read about on the web were too much for me.

I hope this doesn't start a Keltec vs Ruger LCP debate. I just want a Ruger LCP. I don't mind mailing it in myself to get the recall work done.

Dre: Also beg to differ, clearly having a consistency in quality of material has made some difference (internally not so much externally) in why during my readings the Ruger hasn't had nearly as many issues as the Keltec with respect to failures.

But this is all debatable. My research is based on what I've read on numerous forums, gun review sites, etc. There are those that don't bother posting their experiences, the biters who only post positives and the haters that only post negatives.

PS: I ended up buying a well respected Bersa .380 for my conceal carry (for now). I also have a Stoeger Cougar 8000 (9MM) for the house. The cougar has never had an FTF or FTE or any other failure. The Bersa had a FTE on the very first clip I loaded. Never again after that.

But I still want my Ruger LCP! :celebrate

shad0wfax

imported post

derrickonline wrote:
Dre...I'm not trying to sound sarcastic either but I've done a lot of research on the Keltec and even considered it. But the number of failures were just too much for me.

What I did notice was that everyone that had these failures (lots of FTF, FTE etc) or pieces broke they simply wrote it off as "oh well Keltec fixed it for me". That's fine an good...but if I'm in a dark alley and someone decides to try and kill me for whatever credit cards I have in my wallet, I'm afraid mailing the gun back in because the rail/track needs to be fixed or replaced isn't going to suffice.

[SNIP]But this is all debatable. My research is based on what I've read on numerous forums, gun review sites, etc. There are those that don't bother posting their experiences, the biters who only post positives and the haters that only post negatives.

[SNIP]

I disagree with your assertion that "everyone" had "lots" of failures with the Kel-Tec P3AT.

I own a Kel-Tec P3AT and it feeds, fires, and extracts Federal Hydrashocks, Winchester SXT's, and Speer Gold Dots just fine. (It does fail to extract Remington Golden Sabre about 1/20 rounds because of the heavier bullet weight causing trouble with the blowback action.) Solution: Don't rely on Remington Golden Sabre, but other ammo is fine.

It likes 3 of the 4 top-selling self-defense ammunition brands. It suits its purpose just great and the price is right. It's a great deep-concealment gun especially on very hot days but shot placement is highly critical to stop threats properly.

I carry other weapons when I CC in warmer weather and I carry yet another weapon when I OC. My Kel-Tec has a place in my line-up.

usdm419

imported post

Let's just remember that the recall was made because of 1-2 reports of an accidental discharge when dropping the LCP. It's not like people were injured, etc. Ruger now produces the LCP without this issue, and they are not on the shelf because of popular demand, not because of the recall. Everywhere is SOLD OUT. Ruger has them backordered. The recall has nothing to do with it.

My everyday carry is a Ruger, and it goes bang every single time no matter what ammo I feed it. That's all that matters.

derrickonline

imported post

Shadow:

I tried to make it very clear that my opinion was formed based on the information I've gathered online. I'm not getting the same negative feedback from LCP owners.

Also how many times has yourKelTec needed repair, jammed, etc? Maybe never. My point is of course there are those that drivea Kia or a Daewoo and never have car problems but if you look at the reviews you'll see it appears more often than not those folks are a rareity. I'd rather go with a Honda (though I drive none of the above) who has a reputation for reliability.

But either way...that's my feeling on it. The only real test is to own one which I may also do since I'm quickly becoming addicted to these things. But first...my LCP!

USDM: Thank's for that info, I thought the backorder was related to the recall. I just have to keep a better look out for stock!

shad0wfax

imported post

derrickonline wrote:
Shadow:

I tried to make it very clear that my opinion was formed based on the information I've gathered online. I'm not getting the same negative feedback from LCP owners.

Also how many times has yourKelTec needed repair, jammed, etc? Maybe never. My point is of course there are those that drivea Kia or a Daewoo and never have car problems but if you look at the reviews you'll see it appears more often than not those folks are a rareity. I'd rather go with a Honda (though I drive none of the above) who has a reputation for reliability.

But either way...that's my feeling on it. The only real test is to own one which I may also do since I'm quickly becoming addicted to these things. But first...my LCP! [SNIP]
You were clear that your opinion was based on what others said online. I have nothing against the Ruger and the recall/service issue seems to have been prominently advertised and resolved. I would feel confident owning a post-recall model of the LCP, just as I am confident in my ownership of a Kel-Tec.

To answer your questions, my kel-tec has never jammed. It has never needed to be repaired. It did fail to properlycycle two times whenI was testingRemington Golden Saber ammunition. (So I simply don't use that ammunition, since it won't cycle nicely.) It works well withall of the other ammunition and it has needed no repairs.Perhaps my gun is the exception. That is possible.

I wasn't trying to talk you into a Kel-Tec. I just wanted to let you know that my experience with my Kel-Tec has not been negative, apart from the Golden Saber issue.