• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So how is the weather up there?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Here we have some snow, and temps no lower than mebbe 15 degrees and people start whining about how cold it is. When they ask me how I feel, I point out my plans to move up to Alaska, and tell 'em I'm trying to accustom myself to thinking that this would be a warm day this time of year. Really screws with their head. Right around the time they are wondering why I wear a handgun in what has been called the safest city of it's size in the country... LOL.

I'm really interested to hear from folks in the Fairbanks area, how you guys work with the weather right now.

Just made another land payment, and a small additional amount towards principle, getting closer!:celebrate

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

This week it will be between 5-25*above.

In anchorage it will be 5-25* above.

its not really "cold" here yet. at least I don't think its cold until it creeps below -15*

When I have to work outside, I just put on a set of insulated bibs and a sweater.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

It was a high of around 36 yesterday with some freezing rain and snow, and people were whining about a week of temps around the freezing mark...

Baradium

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
It was a high of around 36 yesterday with some freezing rain and snow, and people were whining about a week of temps around the freezing mark...

Probobly feels worse than the colder temps in Fairbanks.

I've been colder in Seattle at 40 degrees above than Fairbanks at -20. I was dressed for -20 and was cold in seattle...

Also, I am not very fond of the Detroit winter at all.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds fun right now for you guys. Hit a high of 43 and it felt much warmer than the last time it was 43. Amazing what a week or so of cold windy days will do for your perception!

I think the reason Seattle and this area feels colder than it really is, is all the moisture in the air, plus whatever wind is coming off the Puget Sound.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

S. Fisher wrote:
Hasn't been above -40 for a week at our house here in Northpole. -45 right now, supposed to warm up by sat.
Yah I've been seeing similar temps around Fairbanks. How do you guys deal with that sort of thing? I'm planning to be building "off the grid" and other than insulating the heck out of my cabin, and making it reasonably airtight...

S. Fisher

imported post

Build it tight and ventilate it right. What are you going to build? Log or stick frame?
Lots of black spruce in that area, not good as a building material. High in pitch, you'll need a metal roof. You will need a minimum of R-21 in the walls, (2x6) an R-30 in the floor, and a R-50 in the lid to stay toasty with wood heat. You will need to vapor barrier (6 mil clear) the floor, walls, and lid, tremco sealant is your friend. You can pm me at the AK Files sv, if you have questions on building in the arctic, its what I do for a living.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

S. Fisher wrote:
Build it tight and ventilate it right. What are you going to build? Log or stick frame?
Lots of black spruce in that area, not good as a building material. High in pitch, you'll need a metal roof. You will need a minimum of R-21 in the walls, (2x6) an R-30 in the floor, and a R-50 in the lid to stay toasty with wood heat. You will need to vapor barrier (6 mil clear) the floor, walls, and lid, tremco sealant is your friend. You can pm me at the AK Files sv, if you have questions on building in the arctic, its what I do for a living.
Didn't know you were on the AK Files. Yah I have a few dozen questions :p thanks! Perhaps we can do some business when I get up there...

vol_907

imported post

Heya, everyone!

Well, here in the grand metropolis of Delta Junction, we're experiencing a Chinook, which, to all you who live in lower latitudes, is a mass of warm air that interrupts the normal 30-40-below temps we usually enjoy this time of year. So the thermometer rises radically (currently about 42 above), and you can get hurricane-force gusts with it.

Plus, all the snow that has remained on the ground has become slicker than Obama's rhetoric, and with the heavy winds, that makes walking outside a real adventure.

Plus, it has demolished our winter road (I live on the other side of the Delta river), so to get over to civilization, it looks like you're gonna have to walk. Or boat, if the winds aren't too high.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome Vol_907

Its 43* blowing SE23 G/68mph today, and raining. schools have been closed last three days due to the icy roads(haven't been closed in years)

wish it would be -20 again.........

At this point I need to go get my ice shanty off the lake before it vanishes, gonna have to do lots of test holes to make sure I can still get to it.

vol_907

imported post

Might not have to get too alarmed about it. While we lost our road, temps are starting to fall back toward the negatives again, and we're working on rebuilding our road.

Drove past Harding Lake today, and others still had their ice fishing shanties still out. So, I'd say not too many people have been worried about the weather.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Interesting that warm weather is not a good thing in the middle of winter...

Anyone here have experience with the Arctic Oven tents?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'm trying to decide if I should spend $1200 on an Artic Oven with all the bells and whistles for four season use, or $375 on a used USGI M1950 arctic tent.