• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sticky?

jimmyw

imported post

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a sticky of all the state statutes and laws pertaining to open carry here in Wisconsin? My reason for asking is I have been all over trying to find certain statutes that I remember reading before but when I want to go and research them I cant find them. Just my opinion that it would be so nice to have one place to go and look. I do realize that it would probably be alot of work to do but it would be so nice. This was just an idea I had. Thanks for your time in reading this. Jimmy

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

jimmyw wrote:
I was wondering if it would be possible to make a sticky of all the state statutes and laws pertaining to open carry here in Wisconsin?
Jimmy, you have struck the nail on the head; there are no Wisconsin Statutes or laws specifically pertaining to open carry! That is why Wisconsin is listed as an anomalous open carry state.

There are generally two types of gun laws in WI; one prohibits concealed weapons and the rest address restrictions on where and how guns may be carried. There is no law that affirmatively legalizes open carry.

Here are the Wisconsin Statutes http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html - all of them.

Gun carry is legal by the Wisconsin Constitution Article I Section 25
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/wisconst.pdf

Concealed carry is illegal by Wisc. Stat. 941.23

"Firearm" occurs 71 times in the statutes and 77 times in the regulations.

We argue here that AG statements/opinions legalize open carry and that case law supports that opinion. We argue that law enforcement at all levels extend the disorderly conduct statutes and the weapons penalty enhancement to open carry.

Merry Christmas GOD JUL

jimmyw

imported post

Thank you Doug I do appreciate that. I wasn't aware that there is no laws about open carry specifically for Wisconsin. Boy do I feel like a dufus!:?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
There is no law that affirmatively legalizes open carry.

Isn't that the case in almost every state where it is legal?

There is no law that affirmatively legalizes the consumption of cheeseburgers at lunchtime, either.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
There is no law that affirmatively legalizes open carry.

Isn't that the case in almost every state where it is legal?

There is no law that affirmatively legalizes the consumption of cheeseburgers at lunchtime, either.
Will you cite the ones where open carry is affirmatively legal, please?

We are not often charged with DC for public consumption of burgers and there is not, that I know, a cheese enhancement to the charge for facilitation of the predicate offense.