• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A couple of newbie questions.

_DK_

imported post

As far as i have read when transporting a pistol, it must be unloaded and in the trunk. I have 2 questions on this.

Say I got to Home Depot or some other store where I can carry, My pistol is in my trunk and magazines in my bag in the back seat. WhenI get to the store I grab my mags, open my trunk put a mag in my pistol then holster it. Wont this cause a commotion if someone observes this? It might be construed asa threat to some. What would be the proper way to do something like this?

2nd question. What about motorcycles. I ride alot, generally from march-november, basiclywhenever theres no snow on the ground. I may want to stop at a range on the way home from work. What would be the proper way to handle a situation like this. My bike does not have saddlebags, usually I carry things like my lunch in my laptop backpack. I assume I cannot have a holstered gun on me while riding my motorcycle.

I have permission to have my firearm at work so long as its unloaded.

Rob

Michigander

imported post

Motorcycles are tricky without a CPL. I don't know about those.

But as for loading, Michigan law requires you to load your gun outside of the vehicle. You have no choice. Just do it in a calm, non threating manner.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

A backpack is "on" YOU. Don't get on your bike with a gun in a back pack on your person. Figure out a way to stow the gun on the bike or don't take it with you on the bike or get your CPL.

Also with a car and trunk situation, DON'T let the loaded gun touch the car.

You may, as far as we know, hold the gun within the trunk(out of sight of others) thenload it and go straight to the holster. I also don't like the idea of racking a round while pointing a gun possibly at the gas tank of a car. :?

I really hate this situation in regards to OC but until you get a CPL it's what you have to do if you want to carry.

taxwhat

imported post

_DK_ wrote:
As far as i have read when transporting a pistol, it must be unloaded and in the trunk. I have 2 questions on this.

Say I got to Home Depot or some other store where I can carry, My pistol is in my trunk and magazines in my bag in the back seat. WhenI get to the store I grab my mags, open my trunk put a mag in my pistol then holster it. Wont this cause a commotion if someone observes this? It might be construed asa threat to some. What would be the proper way to do something like this?

2nd question. What about motorcycles. I ride alot, generally from march-november, basiclywhenever theres no snow on the ground. I may want to stop at a range on the way home from work. What would be the proper way to handle a situation like this. My bike does not have saddlebags, usually I carry things like my lunch in my laptop backpack. I assume I cannot have a holstered gun on me while riding my motorcycle.

I have permission to have my firearm at work so long as its unloaded.

Rob
Hi and WELCOME ! READ read ReAd rEaD then READ more .

_DK_

imported post

Thanks for the info, I do plan on getting a CPL but that probably wont be until next summer. I just purchased my 1st handgun and until I feel comfortable with shooting and handling it I most likely wont carry it at all.

I did search the forum for info on the motorcycle question but didn't find anything. I suppose I could strap my backpack to the tank to seat behind me to avoid the " on your person" situation. How about ammo? could it be unloaded and the ammo in a seperate compartment in the pack or on those occasions when I goto the range right from work tojust buy ammo at the range?

taxwhat

imported post

_DK_ wrote:
Thanks for the info, I do plan on getting a CPL but that probably wont be until next summer. I just purchased my 1st handgun and until I feel comfortable with shooting and handling it I most likely wont carry it at all.

I did search the forum for info on the motorcycle question but didn't find anything. I suppose I could strap my backpack to the tank to seat behind me to avoid the " on your person" situation. How about ammo? could it be unloaded and the ammo in a seperate compartment in the pack or on those occasions when I goto the range right from work tojust buy ammo at the range?
JAIL No NO JAIL http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654---,00.html

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

_DK_ wrote:

I did search the forum for info on the motorcycle question but didn't find anything. I suppose I could strap my backpack to the tank to seat behind me to avoid the " on your person" situation. How about ammo? could it be unloaded and the ammo in a separate compartment in the pack or on those occasions when I goto the range right from work tojust buy ammo at the range?
If you do not have a CPL you must transport your handgun unloaded and out of reach of the driver. In regards to a motorcycle the weapon could be stored in a saddlebag type container on the bike. I recommend you NOT have it in a backpack on your back. But in a backpack that is strapped to the bike somehow I believe would be acceptable. The ammunition does not have to be separate from the gun, just the gun must be unloaded. You can have a full magazine in the same case.

_DK_

imported post

Venator wrote:
_DK_ wrote:

I did search the forum for info on the motorcycle question but didn't find anything. I suppose I could strap my backpack to the tank to seat behind me to avoid the " on your person" situation. How about ammo? could it be unloaded and the ammo in a separate compartment in the pack or on those occasions when I goto the range right from work tojust buy ammo at the range?
If you do not have a CPL you must transport your handgun unloaded and out of reach of the driver. In regards to a motorcycle the weapon could be stored in a saddlebag type container on the bike. I recommend you NOT have it in a backpack on your back. But in a backpack that is strapped to the bike somehow I believe would be acceptable. The ammunition does not have to be separate from the gun, just the gun must be unloaded. You can have a full magazine in the same case.

I think thats the part I was concerned about, since deciding to purchase a handgun all I have been doing is reading. I had thought I had read that the ammuntion and the gun must be stored seperatly.

I had hoped to attend the OC event scheduled for today in Berkley but I was asked to work today... Cannot pass up overtime, I've been on 32 hour workweeks for 2 months.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Don't strap the back pack to the tank, it would be "accessible".

Strap it down behind you. If you stop, DON"T put the back pack on, carry the back pack in your hand.

Just to be safe (from the police)....I would get a cheap lock and lock the gun in it's original case when in the back pack also.

Yes, the mag's can be loaded with ammo as long as a mag is not in the gun.

If you run accross the wrong cop, they will try everything they can to bust you, you want to try everything you can so that he can't bust you.

If I were you I would take a CPL class ASAP as it CAN take several months to get it or you might get lucky and get it in just a couple weeks.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

_DK_ wrote:
Venator wrote:
_DK_ wrote:

I think thats the part I was concerned about, since deciding to purchase a handgun all I have been doing is reading. I had thought I had read that the ammuntion and the gun must be stored seperatly.

I had hoped to attend the OC event scheduled for today in Berkley but I was asked to work today... Cannot pass up overtime, I've been on 32 hour workweeks for 2 months.
A member has informed me that if the backpack is within reach of the operator that you might be charged. His opinion is based on a career as a LEO with many arrests for that. He suggests that the backpack would have to be under a seat or locked up. Again these are opinion and what an individual LEO or prosecutor might do varies.

taxwhat

imported post

dougwg wrote:
But if it's behind him, straped down, in a backpack, in a case and LOCKED. The officer would have to be a real dick to say that it was accessible.

Not all bike have such storage.
But all police have hancuffs . "The officer would have to be a real dick to say that it was accessible." OVERTIME pay good at Chriustmas ! or anytime !!!

_DK_

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
dougwg wrote:
But if it's behind him, straped down, in a backpack, in a case and LOCKED. The officer would have to be a real dick to say that it was accessible.

Not all bike have such storage.
But all police have hancuffs . "The officer would have to be a real dick to say that it was accessible." OVERTIME pay good at Chriustmas ! or anytime !!!
Since its Sunday its actually Doubletime pay, even better. + while the machines were running I got to read up some...