• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Define Personal Space

lax

imported post

That must be one big, mean girlfriend ya got there to make a loud mouthed drunk appear to be the victim :D

Hope all works out well.

JBURGII

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
You need one with the microphone installed at the rear end of a .45" tube.

Regards
I like this suggestion.. I also believe a wireless webcam (rail mounted) would be nifty..

JBURGII

imported post

lax wrote:
That must be one big, mean girlfriend ya got there to make a loud mouthed drunk appear to be the victim :D

Hope all works out well.

She liked this comment.. and says to tell you guys she appreciates all the support and advice. She may not be big and mean but I have seen her back an 1800 lb quarter horse down the barn aisle telling him what he done wrong.. that is why I am so well behaved.. :D

I have printed off the relevant statutes on recording here and just purchased a nice little digital recorder from a fellow gun enthusiast here in town..

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!! James and Shannan

Carnivore

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
lax wrote:

Hope all works out well.

She liked this comment.. and says to tell you guys she appreciates all the support and advice. She may not be big and mean but I have seen her back an 1800 lb quarter horse down the barn aisle telling him what he done wrong.. that is why I am so well behaved.. :D

I have printed off the relevant statutes on recording here and just purchased a nice little digital recorder from a fellow gun enthusiast here in town..

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!! James and Shannan
Awesome!! It's a darn shame Your GF don't have time to take a second job as a jailer..WHEWWWWW talk about Mr. Unhappy??:(

AbNo

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Suggestions for the future:

Carry a voice recorder. most cell phones have a voice recorder feature. My Nokia does, and with the micro-SD card, I can record 60 continuous minutes at a time. Just be aware that Oregon law seems to require you NOTIFY all parties involved in the conversation that they are being recorded (you do not need consent, they just must be notified).
Actually, that sounds like a great way to stop the situation.

"I am recording this conversation. If you do not wish to be recorded, you have full right to end this conversation now and walk away."

IANAL, but that's notification, and if/when he says something dumb, you have it. He was notified. He continued to talk on tape.

Flintlock

JBURGII

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
Suggestions for the future:

Carry a voice recorder. most cell phones have a voice recorder feature. My Nokia does, and with the micro-SD card, I can record 60 continuous minutes at a time. Just be aware that Oregon law seems to require you NOTIFY all parties involved in the conversation that they are being recorded (you do not need consent, they just must be notified).
Actually, that sounds like a great way to stop the situation.

"I am recording this conversation. If you do not wish to be recorded, you have full right to end this conversation now and walk away."

IANAL, but that's notification, and if/when he says something dumb, you have it. He was notified. He continued to talk on tape.

This post in mostly just an observation, I left California partially because of the overload of litigation in that state.. now I find myself in my favorite state where I grew up and due to mypersonal views and my job I now have to have a live dvr on me at all times to avoid or help with legal possibilities.. I can only laugh at myself and don't get me wrong.. I am still happy with my decisions and really enjoy being an active member of this group as well as being a rights activist in general. I really love the state of Oregon and hope to help bring about positive change in the way things are done.

Now for an update on this situation. I still OC my .45 at all times here even in Unhappys presence despite LE telling me I really need to get a CHL and hide that thing so as to not make folks nervous.. I did let him know politely that my constitutional right trumps some folks nervous condition. We hosted a christmas party for the tenants in the building, potluck style.. and secret santa.. well Unhappy showed up with g/f and plate in hand.. just walked into my house and helped themselves like nothing had ever happened.. to make my g/f happy on christmas, I had disarmed for the party.. not that I was ever more than a couple of steps from something loaded ;).. my g/f hides in the bedroom while I let them load a plate and get out.. thought that would be it.. NOOO.. they came back an hour later wanting dessert !! I met them at the door, NO PIE FOR YOU !! Only reason I didn't get less hospitable is because I had a room full of folks having a nice christmas as well as a couple of small children..

Anyway, we tried to keep it from ruining everything but sure puts a damper on fun.

Kind of an example of why you should always carry, if not at least be prepared for anything.. the BGs do not have any respect for anything. I am really not looking forward to New Years...

Have a great week everyone! James

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
This post in mostly just an observation, I left California partially because of the overload of litigation in that state..
I never understood this complaint myself. It seems to me that overlitigation is inherently a self-contradictory term. Litigation is the proper method of dispute resolution in a society of laws.

If there is a problem, it's not that people litigate "too much" (whatever the hell that means), its that tort law has been manipulated by populists, and judges and juries are too willing to give out disproportionate awards.

To me it seems like the oft-repeated gripe of suing being too commonplace is really a disguised lack of understanding or appreciation for the process of litigation itself. In reality a far more appropriate gripe is that tort law has been extended to ludicrous extremes and juries give out irrational awards. But be assured that I will sue you if you commit a tort against me, and nobody's going to be too concerned when you complain "But people sue too much these days!!!11one1! waaaah!"

JBURGII

imported post

Maybe I over generalized there a bit. A small part of the reason I left the state of California is because of the large percentage of people I knew who were involved in frivolous lawsuits or threatening to pursue one. In my opinion the people in the area I lived used litigation for even the most minor disagreement.

I am just pointing out the trend towards using government for all resolution of problems when civil folks ought to be able to take care of it between themselves. I know.. I know.. pipe dream.. sigh..

James

Tomahawk

imported post

I can't believe you let him into your home and your gf hid in the bedroom. You're a nicer guy than I am. (And you have a nicer gf than I've ever had.) But I know the feeling of trying to keep the peace with a disruptive neighbor.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I am just pointing out the trend towards using government for all resolution of problems when civil folks ought to be able to take care of it between themselves. I know.. I know.. pipe dream.. sigh..
Well, I agree it is a disturbing trend. But courts and common law are creations of society, for which government has taken undeserved responsibility. (See page 4 of the "Libertarian Minarchism" thread in General Discussion for a demonstration of how this is so). So my point remains that the problem isn't litigation per se, but rather the very act itself of people using government to pursue their ends.

JBURGII

imported post

marshaul, blaming litigation for the problem is like blaming the gun for the crime.. hehe.. I think some of my dislike also stems from the people who abuse the process who also abuse a lot of other programs the state or fed has to offer.. my ex-wifes family were a group who would want to sue anyone and everyone because they thought it was owed to them. I really don't like entitlement ...

Tomahawk, it took everything I had to keep from ripping them a new one.. but took the high road.. let them fill a plate and leave.. I did have a house full of guests and children so didn't want them to see my 'ugly' side..

James

JBURGII

imported post

You guys are a riot.. we have tried to keep some humor about things but as of today are giving up on the Rooming House. Unhappy got the owners phone number, called him and gave him a sob story apparently. Now owner is grilling me as to why Unhappy is getting evicted..

We find out from someone that Unhappy and his g/f are ticked that we took over because THEY wanted the job.. so they can have it.. I am looking for something small for just my g/f and myself. As of now I stay constantly on alert, I do not trust this person as far as I could throw him..

I am hiding out for the evening, I can hear everyone upstairs getting rowdy. I believe I will let LE handle it. Not going out of my door.

Anyway, you all have a great New Years!

James

JBURGII

imported post

darthmord wrote:
So how are things going for you now since a few days have passed?

Well, things have been pretty quiet lately. We survived New Years with minor issues. I stillOC here dailyonsite as well as around town and have been getting more and more people used to it. A LOT of positive responses from locals and have passed out a good amount of flyers and other related info.

As far as 'Unhappy' goes, the owner of the facility has supported our decisions which is great. We have court later this month to take care of the harassment charge. We will updateas things come up. I realize this thread is borderline OC related but do maintain the subplot onUnhappy and his weapon threat and my continued OC as well as LEO response to what has beengoing on (or lack of).

J out.

Edit to add: Side note, have acquired a DVR and Oregon is a One-Party consent state. :celebrate