• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan city bans being annoying in public

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Could this trun out to be a round about way to harrass OC in Michigan cities?

http://townhall.com/news/us/2008/12/19/michigan_city_bans_being_annoying_in_public

Officer! Arrest that man! His openly carried firearm annoys me. :banghead:

hmmm..... I wonder if this could turned around and used against the city council members?

Officer! Arrest than councilperson! I find their stupidity annoying. :lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://townhall.com/news/us/2008/12/19/michigan_city_bans_being_annoying_in_public

Ticking someone off could get you a ticket in one Michigan city. The Brighton City Council on Thursday approved an ordinance allowing police in the Livingston County community to ticket and fine anyone who is annoying in public "by word of mouth, sign or motions."

The Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell reports the measure is modeled on a similar ordinance in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak.

A city attorney says there could be situations where the measure would violate freedom of speech, but that those cases will be reviewed by the city.

The ban takes effect Jan. 2.
Reviewed by the city in their own good time. 'Cite them all and let the courts sort 'em out' is a short step to letting God sort the good from the bad and ugly.

AZkopper

imported post

Wow, Annoying in Public.....think of all the possibilities!!!!

Children being loud/obnoxious in restaraunts....take them to jail

Those Jehovas Witnesses on Saturday mornings...take them to jail

Telemarketers....take them to jail

People on cell phones in movie theaters....take them to jail

Grown men who ride skateboards as a means of transportation...take them to jail

People with Obama bumper stickers...take them to jail

And that's just my personal list. I'm sure with a little thought, we could arrest everyone!!!

I'm waiting for them to pass "stupid in public" next, along with "ugly in public"

/sarcasm off

Legba

imported post

There "could be" situtations where it violates free speech. Indeed. Well, if flag burning is protected (symbolic) speech - and it is, like it or not - then this law is patently imbecilic, as is the city attorney who has to struggle with this. In fact, his/her very existence is a violation under this law.

-ljp

Thundar

imported post

My post is in the Michigan thread, but this law is an annoyance and alarm prohibition. The law is very vague and is really a police opinion enforcement tool.

Michigander

imported post

The very first Michigan OC event organized through this web site was in Brighton. In attendance were myself, Venator, Mastif69, and his wife. A cop saw us, saw a sign on Venator's car that said who we were, and saw Venator's revolver on the dash board, and went by. It is a small, close knit rural community located right by a state park that has lots of hunting going on. I can believe people stupid enough to write this trash live there, but I cannot believe that they give a flying crap about OC. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

KansasMustang

imported post

"Oh, officer you have to arrest that man, his poopy gun is scaring me and it's annoying. Officer guns are scary oh puhleeeze arrest that man." sheesh these people make me ill.