• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flint Rite Aid workers escape robbery

LaVere

imported post

Flint Rite Aid workers escape robbery after locking themselves in office by Bryn Mickle | The Flint Journal Saturday December 20, 2008, 12:16 AM
large_webSB%20RITE%20AID%20ARx.jpg
Stuart Bauer | The Flint JournalFlint police officers, Genesee County Sheriff's deputies and Michigan State Police troopers surround the Rite Aid Pharmacy at Court Street and Dort Highway in Flint after 10 p.m. Friday as two armed robbery suspects remain in the store. FLINT, Michigan -- Police surrounded a Flint drug store with at least two suspected robbers inside Friday night.
Men wearing masks and armed with at least one pistol robbed a Rite Aid at Court Street and Dort Highway about 10 p.m.
A manager, cashier and security guard were able to get out of the store a short time later after locking themselves in a front office and calling police, according to scanner reports.
As of 12:15 a.m., police were still at the scene of the standoff.

FLINT, Michigan -- Police surrounded a Flint drug store with at least two suspected robbers inside Friday night.
Men wearing masks and armed with at least one pistol robbed a Rite Aid at Court Street and Dort Highway about 10 p.m.
A manager, cashier and security guard were able to get out of the store a short time later after locking themselves in a front office and calling police, according to scanner reports.

Note the under line They said nothing about helping or protecting the customers before after or during the robbery. They just ran. Don't get me wrong. I would have also. but the point is when the SHF it is every man for himself. You can shake your finger at the bad guy or you can defend yourself and family with a gun. I know my choice. What is yours?

LaVere

SQLtables

imported post

LaVere wrote:
Flint Rite Aid workers escape robbery after locking themselves in office by Bryn Mickle | The Flint Journal Saturday December 20, 2008, 12:16 AM
large_webSB%20RITE%20AID%20ARx.jpg
Stuart Bauer | The Flint JournalFlint police officers, Genesee County Sheriff's deputies and Michigan State Police troopers surround the Rite Aid Pharmacy at Court Street and Dort Highway in Flint after 10 p.m. Friday as two armed robbery suspects remain in the store. FLINT, Michigan -- Police surrounded a Flint drug store with at least two suspected robbers inside Friday night.
As of 12:15 a.m., police were still at the scene of the standoff.

FLINT, Michigan -- Police surrounded a Flint drug store with at least two suspected robbers inside Friday night.

Note the under line They said nothing about helping or protecting the customers before after or during the robbery. They just ran. Don't get me wrong. I would have also. but the point is when the SHF it is every man for himself. You can shake your finger at the bad guy or you can defend yourself and family with a gun. I know my choice. What is yours?

LaVere

I can't say I blame the guard, especially if he/she was unarmed, but that just goes to show you that a security guard does little to protect you in a store.

I've been in that Rite-Aid a few times, I'm glad I don't have as much business in Flint anymore.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

ALL security guards should be armed (and trained, duh)

Or they shouldn't have them at all.

I laugh every time I see some 18y/o pimply face 120lb "security guard " with a walkie talkie.

What a JOKE!

Michigander

imported post

The stated goal of a security guard at least used to be to observe and report. These days a camera system can do that a lot better. So if you ask me, unarmed and untrained guards are little more than a politically correct liability.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
The stated goal of a security guard at least used to be to observe and report. These days a camera system can do that a lot better. So if you ask me, unarmed and untrained guards are little more than a politically correct liability.
Video is probably cheaper too.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
And still needed even if the security guard does his/her job by reporting the issue...

WARCHILD

imported post

I worked for Sterling security for a whopping 19hrs.(10 hrs. of which was their "Training". After I had spent some $325 of my own money for bonding, etc. (this is in 1971 money), my first assignment was at Hurley hospital, north lot. I was given a night stick and a radio. I was never told this was all I was going to get. When I inquired as to what I was supposed to do with this S&IT if I have a gun involved, I was told to just call on the radio for help. ?????? The greater powers that be must have been on my side, for at that moment about 7 or 8 shots went off not 2, maybe 3 blocks from where we were standing! I gave him the night stick, radio, and jacket; told him where to store it and made haste to my truck for a quick drive out of there. So I can tell you in most cases, security guards are there for PR and a temporary distraction while they wait for the cops who show up eventually.

taxwhat

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Video is good for whom got shot and or stabbed in what order then can be put on u-tube !And if no one works at night as back up you can review after yellow crime scene tape is down .

mitunnelrat

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Video is probably cheaper too
Sssshhhhhhhh! I need my job!

Seriously though these days the primary duties of a guard are to detect and deter, in addition to observing and reporting. A camera is only capable of observing, and while the same may be true of a tiny kid with a radio, we don't all fit that profile.

Over the past 8 years I've worked both stationary and mobile positions, armed and unarmed. Some should have been armed, and weren't, others weren't armed and that was ok, I've never worked an armed position that didn't need to be. Camera systems, when you get beyond the CCTV running in most small stores, still require an operator to monitor the system, so anything worth using proactively is actually more expensive than a guard because you have system installation and maintenance costs in addition to wages and benefits for the operator. Cameras and their related equipment are also called "passive" security for a reason.

Oftentimes the security you see is also limited by a company's budget or prejudices (they may be anti-gun and project their obedience to a uniform to criminals) so they hire the cheapest "protection" they can get.

In relating all of this to the Rite-Aid guard you can see that nothing in the above description requires him to stay and take a bullet for anyone. Guards aren't trained to talk people down either, so my hope is that he observed everything he could before he left, since he obviously wasn't a deterrant, and then acted as a good witness for the police. Guards: regular guys who like making it home each day.

Personally, if I'm in there as a customer, I'm going to sit tight and evaluate my options, which will vary depending on wheter I'm OC'ing or CC'ing. If I'm there professionally... I'll do the same, evaluate my options and observe as much as I can. If the job is armed I may have to move quickly. If its not, my last name isn't Rambo (which doesn't mean I'll die quietly either).

By the way, did anyone else notice the nice sihlouettes numerous officers were providing in the window?