• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Could Brighton's New Anti - Annoy law be used against OCers?

Thundar

imported post

Could Brighton's New Anti - Annoy law be used against OCers? Maybe not but this law is an opinion enforcement tool for police. Bold in article was done by me.

Link: http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20081219/NEWS01/81219006

Annoying ordinance passed in Brighton

BY JIM TOTTEN • DAILY PRESS & ARGUS • December 19, 2008

The Brighton City Council approved a more stringent code for public conduct, and those who violate the rules – including annoying someone else – could be ticketed and fined. The ordinance was modeled after one in Royal Oak, where Brighton Police Chief Tom Wightman previously was employed.One of the sections reads, “It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”Another section states, “It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to insult, accost, molest or otherwise annoy, either by word of mouth, sign or motions any person in any public place.”Two City Council members expressed concerns about the ordinance but ended upvoting for it.Council member Jim Bohn said some of the language was subjective.“I’m not sure what alarm or seriously annoy means,” Bohn said.Council member Jim Muzzin asked if he were to stand up and read “War and Peace,” during his five-minute limit at call to the public at numerous meetings, “would I be ticketed or fined?”Paul Burns, city attorney, responded no.Burns said City Council chambers are considered a “bastion of democracy” and the law provides a wide breath for free speech. Burns said there could be a situation where a ticket issued violates someone’s free speech, but he said his office would be reviewing these cases.City Manager Dana Foster said enforcement would be a subjective call made bypolice officers. However, Foster said the rules are aimed at those who interfere in public areas as opposed to residents who are simply annoying for annoyance’s sake.The amended ordinance takes effect 15 days from approval, which is Jan. 2, 2009.

LaVere

imported post

“It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”

The city counsel seriously annoy me and serve no legitimate purpose. They all should be fined and removed.

I can't believe that a person over 12 and at least an 8 grade education could could think up such a stupid and illegal law.
They all should be impeached for just being stupid and a insult to the human gene pool.

God I hope the don't multiply

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Thundar wrote:
“It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”
Self defense is a legitimate purpose, so OCing should not be an actionable offense.

Michigander

imported post

First of all, I doubt this could be applied to firearms due to the pre emption law. Even if it could apply to firearms, I doubt any cops in Brighton would try and harass an OCer with it. I think Brighton is rural and pro gun enough that it should be a non issue.

taxwhat

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Could Brighton's New Anti - Annoy law be used against OCers? Maybe not but this law is an opinion enforcement tool for police. Bold in article was done by me.

Link: http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20081219/NEWS01/81219006

Annoying ordinance passed in Brighton

BY JIM TOTTEN • DAILY PRESS & ARGUS • December 19, 2008

The Brighton City Council approved a more stringent code for public conduct, and those who violate the rules – including annoying someone else – could be ticketed and fined. The ordinance was modeled after one in Royal Oak, where Brighton Police Chief Tom Wightman previously was employed.One of the sections reads, “It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”Another section states, “It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to insult, accost, molest or otherwise annoy, either by word of mouth, sign or motions any person in any public place.”Two City Council members expressed concerns about the ordinance but ended upvoting for it.Council member Jim Bohn said some of the language was subjective.“I’m not sure what alarm or seriously annoy means,” Bohn said.Council member Jim Muzzin asked if he were to stand up and read “War and Peace,” during his five-minute limit at call to the public at numerous meetings, “would I be ticketed or fined?”Paul Burns, city attorney, responded no.Burns said City Council chambers are considered a “bastion of democracy” and the law provides a wide breath for free speech. Burns said there could be a situation where a ticket issued violates someone’s free speech, but he said his office would be reviewing these cases.City Manager Dana Foster said enforcement would be a subjective call made bypolice officers. However, Foster said the rules are aimed at those who interfere in public areas as opposed to residents who are simply annoying for annoyance’s sake.The amended ordinance takes effect 15 days from approval, which is Jan. 2, 2009.

CHARLES A LONDO V JAN JAY

Release Date: 3/22/2002
Panel: WCW KTW BKZ

Lower Court: MONROE COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT
Lower Court No: 00-011180 PH

COA Opinion - Per Curiam - Unpublished
View Docket Sheet

Dan F.

imported post

I don't think you have to be a Constitutional scholar to see that this ordinance clearly infringes on the First Amendment rights of Americans. Obviously the city counsel itself or a small, vocal minority was the victim ofan "annoying protest" or some other form of expressing the freedom of speech.

taxwhat

imported post

Dan F. wrote:
I don't think you have to be a Constitutional scholar to see that this ordinance clearly infringes on the First Amendment rights of Americans. Obviously the city counsel itself or a small, vocal minority was the victim ofan "annoying protest" or some other form of expressing the freedom of speech.
One amendment gives us the Right to Challenge Government ! Case Law Tested in my post .

Hcidem

imported post

Thundar wrote:
One of the sections reads, “It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”Another section states, “It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to insult, accost, molest or otherwise annoy, either by word of mouth, sign or motions any person in any public place.”Two City Council members expressed concerns about the ordinance but ended upvoting for it.Council member Jim Bohn said some of the language was subjective.“I’m not sure what alarm or seriously annoy means,” Bohn said. ...

This ordinance has some pretty serious implications, but I couldn't help remembering the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" where Lloyd and Harry treat their rider to "the most annoying sound in the world:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs

Too badthe youth of Brighton don't take it upon themselves to adopt this "sound" for the "legitimate" purpose of public dissent.

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
The revolution is getting closer...
We can only hope.

Actually I would hope that the citizenry of Brightron would contact their council persons and let them know if this stupid and unconstitutional law isnt recinded that they could end up being recalled. At least local representitives are easier to confront with their stupidity, unlike state or national ones.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

IMO, this is really no different than the "disturbing the peace" and "inducing panic" threats made toward OC'ers. Shrug your shoulders and carry on. :cool:

taxwhat

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
IMO, this is really no different than the "disturbing the peace" and "inducing panic" threats made toward OC'ers. Shrug your shoulders and carry on. :cool:
PLEASE the line is on the right just step to launcher..................................then prepare to be tossed under your choice [ bus ,train.truck,tank ]

LaVere

imported post

Brighton, Michigan Chief of police on Fox national news this Friday Dec 26. explaining the new law. This law has now made international news. The news casters are just ripping into the law and Brighton in general. Worth a watch if you can.

DanM

imported post

Thundar wrote:
One of the sections reads, “It shall be unlawful for a person to engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts that alarm or seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose.”
Since carrying a gun for self-defenseis a legitimate purpose for being armed, this ordinance spells out that you would not be doing anything unlawful. Also, where this ordinance may infringe on firearms possession and carrying it runs afoul of the state preemption law and isvoid.

Remember you may be arrested for anything, as has been said so many times in this forum, but you have a reasonable degree of certainty here in Michigan that charges will be dropped or you won't be convicted so long as you have strictly obeyed the law.

If you are wrongly detained or arrested, you have the remedy of a civil lawsuit and money damages, which has successfully been usedhere in Michigan.