• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woke up this mornin' got myself a...

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

I shoot with my right, I took 4 photos to hopefully show you my sights..now to stitch them together....**Note I made sure chamber was empty and the magazine was far away from me before taking pictures of the pistol!** The only bad thing is they don't show you that the sights are off hmmm sooooooo iPhone fail and Nikon D40 ftw!! Anyways heres the picture. I'm thinking maybe if I just adjust the rear sight myself but eh. Just wanted to show you guys what I meant. I wish I had targets to post as well. Anyways. Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

-Joe:celebrate

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
I shoot with my right, I took 4 photos to hopefully show you my sights..now to stitch them together....**Note I made sure chamber was empty and the magazine was far away from me before taking pictures of the pistol!**
It might just be the angle, but it looks like you could use one of these: http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html

Make's that barrel shine! ;)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
This hasn't been asked nor have I seen it posted. Which hand do you shoot with?
That was my first thought when reading this thread!!!
Now that that has been answered....
:arrow:Which is your dominant eye?
If you do not know: With both eyes open point your index finger at something apx 15ft away. Hold your finger on the object and do not move it. Close your Left eye. If your finger is still pointing at the object as perceived through your right eye only without moving it, then you are right eye dominant. Repeat, but this time close your Right eye. When you close your dominant eye your finger will seem to have moved and be pointing about a foot away from your original target.
Make sure that you are lining up your sights on your dominant eye.
It is OK to be a Right hand/Left eye shooter and visa versa. Once you have the dominants down you can practice and correct all the other combinations.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Beat me to it... this is where I was headed.

My wife was shooting left. We determined she was pushing the weapon just before she fire to compensate for the approaching recoil thus every shot was left. Once I got her to relax and let the weapon do the work her groups moved to the center of the target. Remember to use the tip of the finger not the first knuckle as well.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The other thing about the 'finger control' vs 'pushing' argument is...
I have seen people 'pull' the gun to the (dominant) side because they were using the crook of their finger instead of pushing straight back on the trigger with the tip. Support hand placement is also paramount. Many teach to place the support hand under and this often causes the shooter to shoot high. And make sure that both of your thumbs are lined up and pointing straight at the target.
Minor adjustments in grip can make all the difference in the world. Have an experienced shooter (preferably someone you are not close in relation to) watch you shoot and point out what they see. ALWAYS be open to suggestions from others, you never know when you will find that magic nugget that works for you!
I think that most of us will agree that we are constantly learning new things, no matter how long we have been shooting/driving/talking/walking.......

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
This hasn't been asked nor have I seen it posted. Which hand do you shoot with?
That was my first thought when reading this thread!!!
Now that that has been answered....
If you do not know: With both eyes open point your index finger at something apx 15ft away. Hold your finger on the object and do not move it. Close your Left eye. If your finger is still pointing at the object as perceived through your right eye only without moving it, then you are right eye dominant. Repeat, but this time close your Right eye. When you close your dominant eye your finger will seem to have moved and be pointing about a foot away from your original target.
Make sure that you are lining up your sights on your dominant eye.
It is OK to be a Right hand/Left eye shooter and visa versa. Once you have the dominants down you can practice and correct all the other combinations.
Just rushing in really quick i'm on way out, I am right hand right eye dom. I used to shoot for Stratford High School Rifle Team we had to the the whole make a circle with your hand and look through while the instructor found out which eye we shot with . I'll be back soon... oh btw thats how I look through the sights and look through my camera ;-)

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Okay guys I got some news for ya, it seems that I shoot better with my Taurus when I shoot left handed using my right eye to sight in. Funny right. I shot better like that target wise but I still feel that the sights are off a bit but it may also be me screwing up so I shot 150 rounds and I will hopefully kick the bad habit and maybe take a course. Well I am off, I have work in the morning. Take care yall!