• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woke up this mornin' got myself a...

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

I picked up my pistol today and put her through a little test because there had been a problem with her when I first got it. So I was loading up the Mag and I got about maybe 4 or 5 rounds into the mag and they got stuck which was causing all of my problems with my gun :cuss:so the owner is gonna take a look at it tonight so I can get it back asap (only have 1 mag on me now.) So I am very happy I shot the pistol using cheap ammo and the only problem I had was 5 misfeeds with cheap ammo (American Eagle), So yea just want to let everyone know I finally am carrying. now to buy an OWB holster and some JHP :celebrate.

Also, I have a question on the Heine Sights I have them now and every time I fire the shots go off to the left is there a way to fix this besides compensating by aiming more to the right?

Here's a picture of it now with the Tac Light I got a while back..

Gunslinger

imported post

I'd think seriously about buying a new mag if the rounds stuck going in. Not good for them to come out properly. At least take it apart and clean it thoroughly. If you can loosen the rear sights, you can generally drift them just a tad. Just move them a hair to the right and retighten. Most rears are held by a set screw of some type, generally a small hexhead.I know Novaks are, at least.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I personally do not carry any handgun that has not had 300 to 400 rounds through it to break it in and prove reliability.

Did you use the remaining mag? How did your pistol function with it? It is possible that you are "limp wristing" the pistol. Consider it and have someone else with experience shoot it to determine.

No matter the brand or price, the reliability of your handgun is that on which you are betting your life. If it don't go bang, it ain't worth a dang.......and I mean every time.

Yata hey

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I personally do not carry any handgun that has not had 300 to 400 rounds through it to break it in and prove reliability.

Did you use the remaining mag? How did your pistol function with it? It is possible that you are "limp wristing" the pistol. Consider it and have someone else with experience shoot it to determine.

No matter the brand or price, the reliability of your handgun is that on which you are betting your life. If it don't go bang, it ain't worth a dang.......and I mean every time.

Yata hey
Priceless.

zoom6zoom

imported post

You've got to test it with your carry ammo as well. Just because you finally get it feeding the practice cheapo stuff is no guarantee it will feed your HP's.

Gordie

imported post

I have a Kimber that will shoot anything that I put in, except one brand of semi-wadcutters.

It is VERY important to test any ammo that you will be using for carry. You would hate to find out at the wrong time that your carry ammo is the one type that your gun doesn't like.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

None taken VAOpenCarry I did have someone shoot it (one of the gun store employees) he said just to aim to the right a tad but I did notice the front sight was off a bit so I will be taking it to the store next time I go shooting and have him smack her around a bit till it's centered.

Gunslinger, the gunsmith is taking a look at it not sure if I put it on my first post, and cleaning it out for me.

Grapeshot, The weapon has about 340 through it now, and yes the extra mag worked flawlessly I used some cheapo ammo, but when I switched to the Flat nosed American Eagle 147g I had a few issues with it not feeding properly 5 times out of 50.
Yes I did have the gun shop owner fire the weapon to determine what the problem was so he cleaned it and told me to have at it and before I go to shooting I found the magazine was the issue I used the other magazine with no issue I loaded it to capacity and fired away and I am very happy with the performance. Limp wristing maybe at first but not anymore. :lol: I learned my lesson with that already.

Zoom6Zoom, I plan on doing so I bought some Hornaday 147g JHP for now haven't shot them yet I plan on doing it next month since the range is closed for the holidays. So hopefully in the event something does happen these feed great in a defense situation but until I hit the range I wont know as you said.

Gordie, I plan on it ASAP :exclaim:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To GunOwnerJoe

Looks like you've got all your ducks moving in the same direction.
With a new poster like yourself, we do not have any history as to your level of expertise/knowledge and can sometimes be very primary in our suggestions , so forgive us.

Magazines are indeed often a problem with feeding issues. Sticking followers and bent/misaligned feed lips are prime culprits.

Good luck getting your friend to do what your expect of it - every time.

Yata hey

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
To GunOwnerJoe

Looks like you've got all your ducks moving in the same direction.
With a new poster like yourself, we do not have any history as to your level of expertise/knowledge and can sometimes be very primary in our suggestions , so forgive us.

Magazines are indeed often a problem with feeding issues. Sticking followers and bent/misaligned feed lips are prime culprits.

Good luck getting your friend to do what your expect of it - every time.

Yata hey
Thank you GrapeShot I completely understand and do not take offense, I am still learning new things everyday sometimes even experienced people make mistakes or miss simple steps that are causing problems. Thank again though. :) I will let you guys know how my pistol feeds my Hornaday JHPs and how the new magazine does when I get it back from the Gunsmith.

Take care yall and Merry Christmas :celebrate

-Joe

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Wait, you JUST bought a gun, and it's having a few feeding or ejection issues?

Did you try cleaning and oiling it?
:arrow:I've owned the gun since October finally got it in my holster few days ago. :arrow:The gun was cleaned and oiled by the gunsmith. No problem anymore since the issue was the magazine. I still need to fire the rest of my ammo and my defense ammo to be 100% sure but I am rockin' Hornday JHP for now which I haven't tested as I said above.

Oh BTW ejection as in (Stove Piping) problem is gone. Forgot to mention that:exclaim:^

Hope that helps along with what I've said above for people who may have missed what I said :D...

:monkeyMERRY CHRISTMAS YA'LL!!:celebrate

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
Also, I have a question on the Heine Sights I have them now and every time I fire the shots go off to the left is there a way to fix this besides compensating by aiming more to the right?
I read an article once about how you pull the trigger, the trigger action and so on, I'll see if I can find it for you. It seems that it might affect hitting where you aim, e.g. jerking the trigger back, using the tip verses the crease of your finger, etc. Sorry I don't have the exact particulars right now.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

xd45_in_TX wrote:
GunOwnerJoe wrote:
I read an article once about how you pull the trigger, the trigger action and so on, I'll see if I can find it for you. It seems that it might affect hitting where you aim, e.g. jerking the trigger back, using the tip verses the crease of your finger, etc. Sorry I don't have the exact particulars right now.
Sounds good i found this picture that shows you like the diff reasons why your shot went to that part of the target such as limp wristing or yanking the trigger I gotta find that as well and post =D I'll be looking forward to that post XD45...

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I haven't found the one I was looking for, but came accross this one in the mean time and it seems to make sense.

http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/calibre-press/articles/1635353/

excerts from the article:

The trigger control fallacy

By Mike Rayburn
Adjunct Instructor, Smith & Wesson Academy

"Thousands of articles and reams of paper have been wasted on the fallacy of trigger control and how allegedly important it is to shooting skills. Numerous “shooting gurus” have gone on record as stating that trigger control is the number one problem when it comes to shooting a handgun. "

"That’s a bunch of hogwash! Trigger control may be important to target shooting skills, but not to the type of shooting we do as law enforcement officers." ... (or as law abiding citizens needing to protect ourselves- my own thought i added)

"The leading problem is anticipating the recoil of the firearm, resulting in a pre-ignition push, or PIP. Just before the ignition of the powder in the bullet, you push the gun with your hand. The most common of these is to push the front of the gun downward. Your brain is saying, “OK, here it comes, get ready for that loud bang,” and you push the gun downward at the same time you pull the trigger rearward."....(I am guilty of this one)

"The last PIP problem is to push the gun to one side or the other. Most shooters will push the gun to their off side. This is because that’s where the least amount of energy is being exerted on the gun during the gripping process. Most right-handed shooters will push the gun to their left and most left-handed shooters will push the gun to their right."....

"Understand that during a gunfight, you’ll just stick your finger in the trigger guard and pull that trigger as fast and as hard as you can until you’ve eliminated the threat." ......

I have just cut and pasted some of the highligts, I thought it was to long to post the complete article, didn't want to take up to much space. The article is pretty interesting though, click on the link above to read the rest of it. It also explains how to overcome these situations.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've never been in a gunfight, but it's my understanding that so-called "PIP" is actually more of a problem at the range, because during a gunfight you are preoccupied enough that the last thing your brain is anticipating (or concerned with in any way) is recoil.

Anybody care to provide additional input?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

xd45_in_TX wrote:
I haven't found the one I was looking for, but came accross this one in the mean time and it seems to make sense.

http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/calibre-press/articles/1635353/

excerts from the article:

The trigger control fallacy

By Mike Rayburn
Adjunct Instructor, Smith & Wesson Academy
....snip...
Of course Mike Rayburn is just another guru with his own theories too. :) Massad Ayoob (http://tinyurl.com/7n3tp9) has stated that front sight and trigger control are paramount to effective good shooting and that developing muscle memory through repetition/practice is demanded. Not anticipating recoil and pushing are part of good trigger control.

When the SHTF your mind and body will react as you have trained. Either you will "".... just stick your finger in the trigger guard and pull that trigger as fast and as hard as you can....." and have few if any good hits and more possible innocent hits or you will respond with accuracy. Even point shooting must be trained/practiced to be effective. Not even getting into good tactics here.

There are ways to simulate/introduce stress into training but most often department budgets do not allow for such. An example would be Stress Fire as offered by LFI - http://www.ayoob.com/stress.html Even without such very advanced classes, it behoves the practitioner to go beyond the basics.

Not disagreeing with you - just agreeing differently.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

People under pressure will shoot how they train. You work on the fundamentals in slow fire practice until they are automatic. You increase your speed as you become more proficient. When you reach your best level of function you then practice to stay there. The goal is to achieve a level of consistency such that under the pressure of a real shooting incident these things will be automatic. Trigger control does indeed involve more than the last inch of the trigger finger, and the last milligram of squeeze.

But accuracy is a relative thing. In an actual shooting incident a person is not standing erect shooting at paper. Any shot placement that allows you to neutralize the threat, avoid injury to bystandersand survive is accurate enough.

Regards